• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser AR vs Laser AX?

RikM

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a second pair of skis to sit next to my Enforcer 100's (177), something more groomer orientated. My mind is set on Stockli, I've been on the AX for a few runs last season and really liked the overall feel and build quality of the skis. But with the AR being added to the collection this year I can't really make up my mind. I liked the AX last year (I was skiing the 168) but the specs of the AR are more up my street (slightly more versatile, slightly bigger radius).

So my question to anyone who spent some time on both of these, are there any major differences I should keep in mind? Also, I know I'd want the 168 instead of the 175 for the AX, I assume this remains the same if I were to go with the AR?

Some background info: Advanced Skier, 24 years old, 160 lbs/73kg, +- 6'/183cm tall, skiing all over Europe, I'll go down any slope or trail and like to go fast.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a second pair of skis to sit next to my Enforcer 100's (177), something more groomer orientated. My mind is set on Stockli, I've been on the AX for a few runs last season and really liked the overall feel and build quality of the skis. But with the AR being added to the collection this year I can't really make up my mind. I liked the AX last year (I was skiing the 168) but the specs of the AR are more up my street (slightly more versatile, slightly bigger radius).

So my question to anyone who spent some time on both of these, are there any major differences I should keep in mind? Also, I know I'd want the 168 instead of the 175 for the AX, I assume this remains the same if I were to go with the AR?

Some background info: Advanced Skier, 24 years old, 160 lbs/73kg, +- 6'/183cm tall, skiing all over Europe, I'll go down any slope or trail and like to go fast.

Check out this thread, if you already haven’t....it offers a wealth of information about the very question you ask about:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-stöckli.8747/page-17

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's the post in that Stockli thread that deals specifically with the differences.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-stöckli.8747/page-15#post-392615
Here's a quote:

AX=Push energy and energy bounces back. This to me is a play ski. This type of ski boosts ego and makes me feel good about my turns.
AR=Push energy and that energy mashes into the terrain. This to me is a rally/charging ski. This kind of ski boosts my adrenaline and makes me feel good about the runs/conditions I skied.

Who is the AR for:
1-Skier, typically skis a 60-70mm ski that would like a ski for variable conditions, some east powder, and nice cruising between the fresh variable sections of newer snow.
2-Skier, mid level, needs one ski quiver, prolly east coast and could benefit from the smoother ride/edge hold of Stockli and a shape that rounds out easy turns.
3-Skier 30-50 yr old freeride badass, thinks anything under 100mm is a carver. Wants groomers as part of the repertoire and charges chopped snow at speed.
4-Skier looking for a 1 ski quiver at a resort with < 350" annually and loves all the terrain, groomers and side trails alike.
5-Skier at powder resort that wants a 2nd ski for the "thaw" but can't bring themselves to buy a narrow ski in case their secret pow stash is still good a week after the last storm, but realizes groomers can be a total party.

Who is the AX for?
1-Skier looking to have delusions of grandeur and wants to fantasize that they could have been a racer at some point even though they might stink.
2-Skier who is a former racer and wants a fun versatile play carver that handles abnormally well off piste for a carving ski.
3-Skier who is an instructor and faces a wider variety of conditions than the instructor that uses the Laser SC.
4-Skier who wants to work their way up to race performance skis, but isn't ready yet.

I'm finding that 2 types of skiers really like the AR and 1 type doesn't.

The first type love it more than the AX as less powerful skiers that like how easy the ski handles bumpy on-piste skiing and easy turning.
The second type love it more than the AX as skiers that want a full throttle weird snow charger that they can also carve groomers with.

The third type that may not click with the AR as much as the AX are those who fall in between these two categories. They don't need a ski that turns so easily, but at the same time they are either limited in physicality or skillset that they are unaware that it has some really high gears in variable snow.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Yeah, talk about dealing from a stacked deck...:roflmao:

Both the AX & AR are outstanding; one of them will be outstanding for you (the other one merely excellent) and you need to ski both to find out which one's for you.
They do have a bit different feel from one another; personally I doubt it has much to do with 6mm of width, more with the construction.
You won't find out from words, though, or other skier opinions. You need to ski them both, preferably the same day/conditions. Good luck.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
^ this- ski them both.
Both are excellent and it comes down to your own preference. You like to ski fast and if you have good carving skills you should demo the 175 lengths. I'm 74kg and 181cm tall, typically ski medium to fast and I prefer the 175 length over the 168.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the post in that Stockli thread that deals specifically with the differences.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-stöckli.8747/page-15#post-392615
Here's a quote:

AX=Push energy and energy bounces back. This to me is a play ski. This type of ski boosts ego and makes me feel good about my turns.
AR=Push energy and that energy mashes into the terrain. This to me is a rally/charging ski. This kind of ski boosts my adrenaline and makes me feel good about the runs/conditions I skied.

Who is the AR for:
1-Skier, typically skis a 60-70mm ski that would like a ski for variable conditions, some east powder, and nice cruising between the fresh variable sections of newer snow.
2-Skier, mid level, needs one ski quiver, prolly east coast and could benefit from the smoother ride/edge hold of Stockli and a shape that rounds out easy turns.
3-Skier 30-50 yr old freeride badass, thinks anything under 100mm is a carver. Wants groomers as part of the repertoire and charges chopped snow at speed.
4-Skier looking for a 1 ski quiver at a resort with < 350" annually and loves all the terrain, groomers and side trails alike.
5-Skier at powder resort that wants a 2nd ski for the "thaw" but can't bring themselves to buy a narrow ski in case their secret pow stash is still good a week after the last storm, but realizes groomers can be a total party.

Who is the AX for?
1-Skier looking to have delusions of grandeur and wants to fantasize that they could have been a racer at some point even though they might stink.
2-Skier who is a former racer and wants a fun versatile play carver that handles abnormally well off piste for a carving ski.
3-Skier who is an instructor and faces a wider variety of conditions than the instructor that uses the Laser SC.
4-Skier who wants to work their way up to race performance skis, but isn't ready yet.

I'm finding that 2 types of skiers really like the AR and 1 type doesn't.

The first type love it more than the AX as less powerful skiers that like how easy the ski handles bumpy on-piste skiing and easy turning.
The second type love it more than the AX as skiers that want a full throttle weird snow charger that they can also carve groomers with.

The third type that may not click with the AR as much as the AX are those who fall in between these two categories. They don't need a ski that turns so easily, but at the same time they are either limited in physicality or skillset that they are unaware that it has some really high gears in variable snow.

Reading this made my heart pound, as if I was face to face with my first teenage crush.
And I am #1 under “Who is the AX for?” Lol :roflmao::roflmao:

Richard Small

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I demoed the AR and AX (168 cm) at Boyne Mountain, MI to replace Blizzard 8.1’s. I was primarily looking for a front side but more versatile ski to take west for when conditions are not suitable for my Armada JJ’s for powder and trees.

I really liked the AX’s. A more traditional ride, held well through fast, steep turns. The AR’s were somewhat unique. When skiing flat or casual turns, they felt a little sloppy (expected). When putting them on edge they really surprised me. Held well, the stiff tails created a platform to rock forward through the turns. Staying aggressive and pushing hard through the turn really locked them in, especially at speed. Once you figure them out after a few runs, taking advantage of the stiff tails while transitioning through turns, the harder you push them the better they performed. First time I was pleasantly surprised in a long time.
I bought the ARs for front side faster, steeper runs, but versatile enough to ski crud and deeper back side conditions. While not having a chance to demo them on western back-side conditions, they feel like they will be fine. Would have bought the AXs if I was only skiing Michigan. Never got the chance to test western conditions thanks to Covid 19.

I’m 5’4”, 148 pounds, prior racer, still like skiing hard and fast. Two really good options. You can ride both hard and not be disappointed. Strongly suggest comparing them on the same day in conditions you expect. Great job Stockli!

Chief F1 Fan

Booting up
Skier
I went the other direction and skied the AX's and SX's back to back. I liked the former better and bought them on the spot.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Like @Richard Small I too demo'ed the AR & AX as mentioned in the winter here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2020-stöckli-laser-ar.17750/

Things shut before I could buy, now I"m picking up where I left off. Mostly ski Tahoe, want a front side and have never owned anything under 90 underfoot. On the fence on both AR vs AX....perhaps which ever I can get a better deal on. I've PM LindsayB who posts here a lot and seems very knowledgeable...both are great skis!

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like @Richard Small I too demo'ed the AR & AX as mentioned in the winter here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2020-stöckli-laser-ar.17750/

Things shut before I could buy, now I"m picking up where I left off. Mostly ski Tahoe, want a front side and have never owned anything under 90 underfoot. On the fence on both AR vs AX....perhaps which ever I can get a better deal on. I've PM LindsayB who posts here a lot and seems very knowledgeable...both are great skis!

I will also be skiing a far narrower ski on the front side in Tahoe this year (Vist Crossover II at 77mm underfoot).

I dropped them off at California Ski Company, today for a tune up, which was mentioned in the boot fitting thread. They have Stocklis on sale!

Sponsor