• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stio Shot 7 Down Jacket Reviews?

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone have any experience with the Stio Shot 7 as a cold weather ski jacket? I ski primarily in Maine, and am looking for a warm, breathable, weatherproof jacket to replace my six year old Eider insulated jacket. And concerns with the down getting wet during rain/snow storms?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Curious if you deadset on down or open to synthetic insulation options? It seems like Stio has a treated the down and has a good membrane.

Just as an option to compare, I’m have a Patagonia insulated PowderBowl jacket that has heald up great. It’s Goretex 2L and synthetic insulation. It has nice big pit zips which I need sometimes. I’ve never felt soggy or clamy like I did in my last down jacket (not Stio). It’s definitely warm, I used it today in the blustery subzero temps and had to open the pitzips a bit.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...ackets-vests-insulated#tile-19=&start=1&sz=36

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have one and really like it. I ski in CO mostly, though, not ME, so I can't tell you how it holds up to super duper cold and damp weather. It is waterproof enough for the Rockies, and on really cold days I can easily layer something like my Arc'teryx Atom LT under it.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own one and like it very much. However, it's not exactly the jacket you would think. Compared to others in this genre, it's a bit more waterproof and a bit less warm (in my opinion). I was skiing in CO over the holidays where it was around zero, and I found I still needed a mid layer. That is the coldest I have been out in. It works very well in wet and dry snow. I haven't tried it in "Vermont near snow" or wintery mix, but frankly in those conditions I just get out the three layer shell anyway. The pit zips are rare in this kind of jacket but work well.

Note- it's the normal Stio fit (overall short, tiny bit boxy in the top for layering) which happens to work well with my body. Interestingly, I bought a Black Diamond Mission Down jacket for this purpose last season. It was also great but was a little long and tight for me. My buddy bought a Shot 7. For kicks we switched one day and decided we were both happier with the fit after switching, so made a swap. However I will say the Black Diamond was a lot cheaper (I got on SAC) and a bit more breathable, which is good, because it didn't have pit zips. The BD is a bit longer and a tiny bit leaner. To me it was maybe just a bit warmer. I cannot speak to how it does in really heavy precipitation but in normal snow both are fine.

I have not damaged it, but I find it feels a bit delicate compared to my 3L stuff (Trew and Cloudveil) and I'm not sure I'd want to go into gnarly trees with it. However, for the purposes I use it for (cold smoke days) it works great.

Also, one other benefit, when you travel with the jacket, you don't need to carry along a puffy or heavy coat for nights. When I ski in the 3l shell I often wear a puffy on the plane, but with this jacket I can drop that.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd be more concerned about the down getting wet from the inside/sweat. They use Pertex in the lining, which is a little more water resistant, and treat their down for water-resistance, but it doesn't take much moisture to cause down clumping. I'd also see garment care being difficult. The best care methods for your shell aren't the best for down. Synthetics or options with zip-out insulation are a little easier for washing.