Stio Environ Jacket Review

Discussion in 'Softgoods: Clothing, Helmets, Goggles, and More' started by Ron, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Don't judge a ski by its width underfoot! Pugski Ski Tester

Stio1.jpg

I picked up the Stio Environ last season while looking for the “perfect” Colorado ski jacket. I have 30+ days in it while skiing a different brand for comparison. Based in Jackson, WY, Stio has clearly designed a jacket for skiers, by skiers.

The shell is made from Dermizax, a durable 150-denier fabric with a 20,000mm waterproof,10,000g breathability PU laminate. It has withstood every condition I have skied in, including blower storms and sub-zero temps. It’s been waterproof and about 100% windproof (in CO, you don’t really need waterproof). The Environ breathes adequately, and at no time have I felt clammy while skiing, but unlike some fabrics, it doesn’t allow too much heat to escape. The fabric is bomber: it's on the stiffer side but not crinkly or uncomfortable. I have not experienced any tears or pulls even after skiing aspens and evergreens. Visually, fit and finish are as good as (or better than) any other high-end technical shell. Sealed seams are clean and precise, as are the junction of zippers and materials.

There is just the right number of pockets, which are placed thoughtfully. The double chest pockets provide plenty of room to store a phone in one pocket and gear or a RFID pass in the other side without interfering with the reader. Stio also placed the interior pocket below the exterior chest pocket, permitting you to use both pockets simultaneously without having the contents stack on top of each other (a pet peeve of mine). The interior has a zippered pocket (which will accommodate a larger phone) and a stow pouch; I can fit an extra lens or glove liners in the pouch. Hand pockets are large enough to carry skins.

The YKK zippers work well. I like the underappreciated functionality of a double zipper because it is perfect for unzipping only the bottom of the jacket for nature breaks or accessing pants pockets without exposing your entire core. Another nice detail is zipper pulls that are easy to operate with gloves on. Pit zips are generously long, allowing quick heat dumps.
    Note attention to detail: zipper pulls, tight sealed seams, soft fleece collar.

stio2.jpg
    stioinside.jpg
    Inside of the Environ.
    The overall shape is roomy but not boxy. Sleeve and hem length are ideal. For reference, I’m 6 ft 168 lb with a 32-in. waist 41" chest , and the large fits me well with extra room for movement and layering. I like sleeves long enough that they won't expose my wrists when I extend my arms, and I like the hem to be long enough that it covers my butt when I sit on a lift. The fleece-lined collar is also well-designed; it is separate from the hood, allowing it to function better, and high enough to protect your chin and mouth in cold and wind. The hood is large enough that you can pull it over a helmet without unzipping the jacket. It has good peripheral vision and adjustability, too. Finally, there is a fixed powder skirt, something I personally can do without, but many appreciate this.

If you are searching for the MacGyver of jackets, look no further. Even at full $439 MSRP, the Environ is a great value.

• Who is it for? Any skier who is looking for a high-quality, versatile jacket. Especially useful for those who ski off piste and need a bomber-quality shell with features designed for anything nature can throw at you.
    • Who is it not for? those who ski in more moderate conditions with high humidity
    • Insider tip. Save some money and watch for Sio "save 10%" coupons by signing up for newsletter and Active Junky savings.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    BC., laine, mikelrv and 5 others like this.
  2. Goran M.

Goran M. Putting on skis Skier

Going all in with STIO this year and will have some "notes' to share with the community in few weeks.

Environ Jacket
    Azura XT
    Wilcox Fleece Hoodie

One thing I already dislike about Environ jacket is lack of sleeve pocket for the ski pass. I could be wrong but many of the places where I ski - sleeve pocket does the job. That little sleeve pocket is perfect for the pass, not with other stuff in chest or inner pockets and it is easier to "wave" your hand at the not so responsive RFID reader ... we'll see ...

Azura XT got all the compliments "in town" so far - can't wait to test it as a mid layer. Sleek, sleek, sleek piece of winter clothing.

Fleece quality will be determined after the first wash (critical to me is how much garment retains feel of "new" after the first wash).

3. BC.

BC. NEPA ShopRat/Skier Skier

Ron...when your ready to sell it....I’m in!.....nice looking jacket.

Ron likes this.
  4. Andy Mink

Andy Mink I am a half fast skier. Moderator

Every jacket/parka/shell should have this. It even makes sitting easier when the jacket doesn't bunch up so much. I'd pay an extra dollar for the second pull!

Ron likes this.
  5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Ron

you dont need one. put the pass on a lanyard or put it in any pocket and every RFID reader I've been through reads them fine.

coskigirl and SBrown like this.

6. Goran M.

Thank you for your suggestion ...

I need one ... maybe you do not need one and it works for you ... but i think it would be nice to have one ...

Pdub and James like this.
  7. Pdub

Pdub best day ever Skier

Nice looking gear, but at least for the pants, you need to be really tall and skinny. I bought the Environ pants last year in a small and they were designed for someone about 6 feet tall and 120 pounds. The inseam was around 33" and the waist around 29". Can't imagine they'd actually fit any one.

8. Goran M.

Agree, their fit is still TBD, quality of the product is great (so far) but there is no uniformity in sizes ... Ski jacket L is good fit while fleece XL is too small and so on ...

9. Thread Starter
    TS
    Ron

without getting too stuck in the weeds, the difference is sizes is due to the cut of the product. the Jacket is designed to accommodate layering and movement, a fleece is not and should be on the tighter side for warmth and fit as a layering piece, for pants, I have a 32" waist and a 33" inseam. I wear the Environ Medium pants, they fit with plenty of room for layers and are just barely long enough. Ironically, I wish they had a 'long". The fit of the Pants is almost identical to Flyblow Chemical pants or Patagonia Untracked pants.

10. Goran M.

update ... arm pit to arm pit ...

It is too tight ...

11. doc

doc Booting up Skier

Bought the Environ jacket based on @Ron's recommendation, and very happy with it (have worn it at CO resorts, and JH, so mostly dry conditions).
    The large fits me (5'11", 155 lbs) well, with no tightness across the chest. Pass on a lanyard works fine everywhere I've been, even buried under the Environ plus a midlayer.

Ron likes this.
  12. luliski

luliski Out on the slopes Skier

PSA: Stio has Environ jacket (at least women's) on sale right now. I have one from a couple of years ago. The cut runs on the slimmer side compared to my Flylow jacket. I use it when I don't need thicker midlayers.