• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
My ski duffle stinks, I've tried some air fresheners on it but it hasn't helped. My clothes smell so I'm about to throw it out and get a new one.

Anybody use something that works to freshen up your ski duffle? Mine is a mixture of hard plastic on the base and canvas on the top.

Maybe febreeze works? haven't tried that yet.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My ski duffle stinks, I've tried some air fresheners on it but it hasn't helped. My clothes smell so I'm about to throw it out and get a new one. .

Take it in the shower and scrub it out. If the temps are below freezing, leave it outside to dry. Quick spritz of silicone on the zippers and you're done.

If it still reeks after a thorough scrub, no amount of Febreeze on the planet will help your clothes. Get a new one.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
You can buy hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spraying that into shoes, onto footbeds that you have removed from shoes, into the now empty shoes, onto yukky smelly underarms in clothing you are not yet willing to wash (sorry if that grosses you out, but sometimes you just don't wanna do the washer-dryer thing and this is an easy fix). It usually works.

The nastiest thing I ever de-smelled with those spray bottles was my feet after putting them into mildew-smelly boat shoes for a kayak tour I did with a friend on vacation. We were forced to use those horrid shoes by the tour guides. When I got home I spritzed my feet and my friend's feet, took the liners out of both sets of shoes that we wore home since they were now contaminated, sprited the liners, spritzed the empty shoes. I took a shower and paid close attention to my feet, then spritzed my feet again after the shower.... All evidence of a mildew odor was totally gone in the morning.

I use hydrogen peroxide in a spritz bottle often to remove foul odors. It seems to almost always work. It's cheap so worth a try. And you don't have to use a washing machine nor a dryer.

Hydrogen peroxide does not bleach anything, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s my method for cleaning something:

-Throw it out....and get a new one. The new one will definitely be better than the old stank ass one.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bathtub with water + mild soap, baking soda, vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide (or the spray method, but I'd rinse it out after). Don't leave it to soak, but give it a good scrub. Febreeze masks the smells, the other solutions are anti-bacterial, but not so harsh they'll damage the components.

If those don't work, an enzyme cleaner like a pet stain & odor cleaner will make a big difference, it's just a lot harsher and you might notice a change in the plastic if you use it several times. (It also eats through any waterproof membranes, DWR, strengthening coatings, foam in backpack straps, so I wouldn't recommend it on any other outdoor gear)

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here’s my method for cleaning something:

-Throw it out....and get a new one. The new one will definitely be better than the old stank ass one.

Lol, it's certainly tempting and how I'm leaning. Just hard to spend another $200 on skiing when I already spend a fortune on new gear, skis and trips....ahhh skiing why do we love you so much?

Reactions: BC.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Our cat decided to palliate and expire on my hockey bag..I used some of that to destink it and it worked decent. Going to try it on my skates and gitch next..

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
OdoBan ... available at Home Depot near the cleaning products. Several scents available ... eucalyptus, orange, and lavender that I know of.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friends wife gave me her deodorizer recipe for dealing with his hockey bag. (smelliest object known to man). Tea Tree Oil , and Mint Oil, mixed with a little rubbing alcohol, in a small spray bottle. Spray generously. I use this on my gloves when they get stinky.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hockey bags...there's a stink but a ski duffel that stinks??? Do you ever wash your gear?
In all the years of skiing, racing, coaching and working in the field I've never come across a smelly bag (that's not entirely true) what in the Wide Wide World of Sports are you doing out there?
If you like the smell of Fabreez great other wise it smells like your spraying crap to stop smelling like crap
@graham418 use the dishwasher for gloves, elbow pads and shinguards, top rack only... work wonders

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Getting the man funk out of sweated into synthetic fibers requires killing the bacteria, Listerine works great. Add a few capfuls to a laundry load using powdered soap and the funk is gone. Generic Listerine from Costco or CVS works fine. Fabreeze doesn't get to the stench the way Listerine does. Listerine works great on running togs, ski base layers and the like. Avoiding liquid laundry detergent helps as the fabric softener aids in growing the stinky bacteria in synthetic fibers.

Sport Wash works but is expensive.

Sponsor

Staff online