• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are two different kinds of sticky snow. The most common is a normal trail that gets grabby, and that is what the wax and structure discussions are relevant to. The other is snow that was never skied, but then got wet. That stuff is not actually as sticky, but you feel that you are trapped into a straight line and can't turn. (Of course you can, but it takes a pretty emphatic move to get out of your own rut.)

I experienced that at Mad River Glen during the NE Gathering, and then again at Alpine Meadows two days ago. The difference was at MRG it was usually fairly shallow on the edge of a trail intersection, but at Alpine we had spots on steep slopes where that stuff was 4 or more inches deep. It wasn't too bad on the steeper bits, but when it flattened out at the bottom -- hold on!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied some sticky snow yesterday. LF8 wax. It was constant grab and release on the flat run out sections toward the lift.
Switched to Swix HF10BW today. Night and day between the two. Slick as silk. Glided straight into the lift corral. Did not suck at all. :D

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Skied some sticky snow yesterday. LF8 wax. It was constant grab and release on the flat run out sections toward the lift.
Switched to Swix HF10BW today. Night and day between the two. Slick as silk. Glided straight into the lift corral. Did not suck at all. :D

The same snow, separated by 24 hours, is not the same snow.

Objectivity has it's down sides.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Can hardly wait to get out in some sticky sweet fall mank. Best opening day sticky snow happened a few years back were Killington opened the Northridge after just one night of snowmaking. Ungroomed thick glop that required slow controlled turns until the skier traffic improved the surface. Sticky snow beats no snow by a mile.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can hardly wait to get out in some sticky sweet fall mank. Best opening day sticky snow happened a few years back were Killington opened the Northridge after just one night of snowmaking. Ungroomed thick glop that required slow controlled turns until the skier traffic improved the surface. Sticky snow beats no snow by a mile.
How is the new Northridge quad coming? Will it be ready for good snowmaking conditions, or will it delay opening day? I might be up early this season for some "work" on my condo...

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
NRQ.jpg
How is the new Northridge quad coming? Will it be ready for good snowmaking conditions, or will it delay opening day? I might be up early this season for some "work" on my condo...

Towers in, com cable in, top terminal in. No haul cable announced yet. Should be ready to go with no delays given 6 weeks until opening day.

Sponsor

Staff online