• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love something that would TRULY work at temps above 45 degrees or so. I don't care if there's been a freeze/thaw or not, when it gets above a certain temp, ya stick. It's frustrating, because slush is fun to ski in.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'd love something that would TRULY work at temps above 45 degrees or so. I don't care if there's been a freeze/thaw or not, when it gets above a certain temp, ya stick. It's frustrating, because slush is fun to ski in.

Have you done a structure yet?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i have found if you are in it, doing the 1000 steps drill (marching of the feet) helps you keep releasing the suction, or at least keeps you balanced when you hit the slow glue patches.

but yes wax and brush. I've switched from hertel to Holmenkol, the regular hotsauce does not seem to be effective in these conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm not sure any wax works on mank. So much suction plus possibly sharpish snow crystals? It's white, so the crystals have to be pretty well formed, no?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Why? I can offer speculation.... worth less speculation.

How to deal with the mank....? Fore and aft foot separation.

Push one foot a bit forward, pull the other back a bit. It doesn't take much.

Carry on in confidence!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Carry on in confidence!

We're taking about sticky snow, right? The grabby stuff that feels like you're not on snow, you're on rubber and it's not polished rubber. How does moving one foot forward and the other help? Especially since I'm always on skinny cat tracks when I hit this stuff and it's usually in horizontal stripes across the trail, alternating from chilled hardpack to the rubber. I can't envision what you are suggesting unless I'm wearing tele skis.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski the steeper and bumpier pitches. The stickiness isn't so pronounced on those hills.

Avoid flat fast runouts - or at least be prepared with a tight core when the brakes come on.

Sticky spring slush can be really fun! Get out and enjoy it!

Eric

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sticky snow is the one condition I'm not a huge fan of only because you never know when it's going to grab your skis. At magic a couple weeks ago you'd be cruising fine and then towards the bottom suddenly feel like you skied into a mud as in it grab your skis and you were like woah. It's more noticeable for my SO who's a fast skier so he likes it less than I do. I'm already a slow skier so I just slow it down even more and pretend I'm cruising in my caddy and it's manageable

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

Carry on in confidence!

Yes. Especially functional on low-pitch goo. Push outside foot forward, pull inside foot back. They hit an invisible force-field that stops them from criss-crossing, so no worry you won't be doing tele turns or the beginner-shuffle. Reverse which foot gets moved which way for the next turn. Force-couple skiing. Same effect as a snow-cat uses to turn around. Or a tank.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
When the snow is wet, the water will start to create a vacuum between the ski and the snow, sucking the ski to the snow so that it can not slide so easily.

This is my understanding also.

I'm going to experiment with rubbing on some spring specific wax this week. I'll try to remember to 1) do that, and 2) report back.

Late spring (in the west) I carry a small piece of "canning wax" in my pocket. It's clear paraffin available in almost every grocery store, Walmart etc etc and it's cheap. A quick rub down on the base with it greatly reduces the suction. Good base structure is also a plus. Rub it on again mid-day and that should cover you.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2nd on the Zardoz Not Wax like pigeye said. I carry a puck during the spring. It works even on the wettest snow, but only during 3 - 4 runs. Take a few min to reapply then have at it again.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is my understanding also.

Late spring (in the west) I carry a small piece of "canning wax" in my pocket. It's clear paraffin available in almost every grocery store, Walmart etc etc and it's cheap. A quick rub down on the base with it greatly reduces the suction. Good base structure is also a plus. Rub it on again mid-day and that should cover you.
That's what I had in mind, carry a little brick of wax in my pocket. I've been poo-poo'd that it will create more drag, but I am thinking it would work. And yes, I do have good structure. ogsmile Not spring structure, but good structure.

2nd on the Zardoz Not Wax like pigeye said. I carry a puck during the spring. It works even on the wettest snow, but only during 3 - 4 runs. Take a few min to reapply then have at it again.

So, my better half feels that Zardoz dries the bases out really badly. So, I'd get massive amounts of grief if I used it. I've tried it before with mixed results.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you done a structure yet?
All of my skis have a very nice structure on them. I'm spoiled :rolleyes:
That being said, it's not an aggressive spring structure.
Yesterday was really REALLY fun until noon. Then we had lunch, attempted one more run :)eek:), then went home and I got on the bike.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Sticky glue snow is better than coral reef. Five inches of Elmers that fell on Superstar on Mother's Day a couple of years ago was some of the hardest fresh snow to ski. Thick sticky snow over hard mature moguls made for a gnarly fun day were you had to be fully committed to every turn. Only the sickest of skiers truly enjoy the glop.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Not sure anyone enjoys the glop.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wetter snow creates a vacuum under your bases where fluffier or more crystallized snow allows for air to pass through when gliding. If you don't have good base structure, rubbing on warm weather wax and leaving it bumpy is the best substitute for actual base structure.. One other thing I found out. A warm sticky day isn't the best conditions to try to learn to tele. Those stealth patches of grabbiness with no heel pieces becomes even more problematic. Almost went over the handlebars several times a few seasons ago when I went down that path.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I found concentrated Rain-X. I mix with a cup of H20 instead of the gallon. and it's been working great on Eastern Spring dirty snow. I think snow that isn't tracked out is manky.. spring snow needs to be pushed around then it's not as sticky and of course.. look for the shade, stay on edge, flat skis stick more. less surface area faster skiing

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yes. Especially functional on low-pitch goo. Push outside foot forward, pull inside foot back. They hit an invisible force-field that stops them from criss-crossing, so no worry you won't be doing tele turns or the beginner-shuffle. Reverse which foot gets moved which way for the next turn. Force-couple skiing. Same effect as a snow-cat uses to turn around. Or a tank.
The problem is I'm not looking to turn, I'm looking to stay on the cat track. If I'm moving down hill, it's not an issue. In fact, the better the incline the less it's a problem. Whether that is due to drainage or being on edge the whole time, I don't know. But I need to survive the cat tracks. I tried to avoid them the other day when we had fresh over slush and was dodging ground and staubs the whole way.

Sponsor

Staff online