• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can get to an early season free demos it could be helpful but there would need to be an appropriate selection of skis and sizes. If its not too busy it would be the same a visiting a ski shop but you get to try the skis for free before you buy!
I actually wouldn't recommend demo'ing for someone just learning not to wedge. It just confuses the issue, and puts the focus in the wrong place, IMO. Pick a pair of good skis and get to know them. Once someone is further up the intermediate chain (skiing parallel most of the time) then they can understand the difference between skis better.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't know if I agree with the ski or boot assessment. With some of my advanced students we'll go into the rental shop, and everyone skis on 90cm skis with a 7m turn radius. It depends on your goals and the sensations that you want to capture.

With boots, many people are skiing a boot that is way too stiff.
I agree a lot of beginners and intermediates skiers are in way to stiff boots and a lot of intermediate skiers and advance skiers are in boots to soft to drive the skis that they are on. Both show the same faults, the detail is when the fault appears. At the beginning of the turn its boots being to soft, at the end of the turn its skis to soft.

There has to be a balance.

New advancing skiers to have a little overhead to allow for development, BUT not to much to hinder it. There is a fine line.

Again, I would suggest a good boot fitter suggest the stiffness based on his assessment and knowledge of a particular boot. Same should be said about skis and here some of this skiability is based on the boots stiffness.

While the advice here is good, careful on how you read it. It real does require a good assessment of individual and just a general description while informative does not specify what is required. Stick with the advice that guides you to ask the right questions at the shop, even more so points you to a good local shop.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
What's a good ski for a big guy?
I need something easy to turn because I am not the most athletic guy nor adventurous. All I am looking to do is be able to cruise down the mountain at a leisurely pace.
--I am getting a season pass for Winter Park for my daughter and I.
--a post Christmas/new years and a spring break trip.
--at least 10 or maybe a few more days of skiing.
--buying boots/skis.
--I can do wedge turns but am still too chicken bleep to turn that uphill ski parallel and do proper turns. I am going to take a lesson and look forward to getting that down.
--We'll get fitted and find boots before we go.
--I'm 6'3 250, she is 5'2 110.

@Elroy, start a "what boot should I buy" thread before buying boots. Include what town you'll be buying them in. Why? Because the wrong boots will mess up your progress, and many first-time buyers get the wrong boots. You need to know some things to make a good choice. You'll need to know which store and which bootfitter to use in your area to avoid the usual problems.

Also, if you are still making turns in a wedge, don't bother demoing. Those who say you won't be able to discern the important differences are right. You'll be making turns on more-or-less flat skis when making your first hybrid wedge-parallel turns. Skis don't display what they are capable of until the skier learns to get them up on edge and to let the skis do their thing.

Here are some things you and the OP's buddy need to know about buying skis.

1. Don't get skis too wide. When you are ready to learn how to use the edges, you won't be able to get them up on edge when you ski on hard snow groomers. Where do you ski? How frequently do you ski on "hard" snow, snow that didn't fall last night or the night before? If frequently, get skis with a waist below 80. If your mountain gets frequent (weekly) snow most of the season, get skis with a waist between 78 and 88, but probably not higher.

2. Even though you weigh a lot, you say you are not adventurous. By that I'm guessing that you don't want to be skiing at 50 mph down blue groomers by the end of next season feeling the wind in your ears along with a massive adrenaline rush. So, don't get skis too stiff. By this I mean don't buy skis marketed to advanced and expert skiers, or made for "hard charging." Do not buy stiff skis meant to be skied fast - such as race skis. People will recommend you get burly skis because of your weight. Ask them if their recommendation stands if you choose to always ski cautiously and slowly.

3. Get skis with a short turn radius. The short radius they will want to make will express itself clearly when you are learning to use your edges. If you get a long radius ski, you won't be able to get the ski to help you maintain those slow speeds you'll be seeking. By short radius I mean 11-15 meters. This should be written on the ski somewhere as TR 14, or something like that.

4. Purchase a season-long service at your local ski shop for tuning of your skis, and use it. Skis need to stay waxed and sharp. Pay someone to do this for you on a regular basis.

Last edited:
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My buddy is picking up some 2020 Rossignol Experience skis. I had some of these as I advanced and they were great in helping me learn to turn better. I think they will be a good ski for him and they have adjustable bindings so he can work with the boot fitter. Lots of deals on ebay right now, the ones I got were so cheap even if he doesn't like them he can easily just get his money back next winter by re-listing.

James

Out There
Instructor
My buddy is picking up some 2020 Rossignol Experience skis. I had some of these as I advanced and they were great in helping me learn to turn better. I think they will be a good ski for him and they have adjustable bindings so he can work with the boot fitter. Lots of deals on ebay right now, the ones I got were so cheap even if he doesn't like them he can easily just get his money back next winter by re-listing.
Which width?
I don’t think an 88mm ski is best for learning.
It’s tempting to say it’s ok if you’re in the west and only have one ski. But learners aren’t really going into fluffy snow in general anyway, and width really lets one get away with bad habits.
I do think the latest gen Rossi Exp 88 is a great all around ski for many people. Basically most unless you really know what you like. It’s a no brainer recommendation for a rental if appropriate.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Read @LiquidFeet 's post again. I pretty much agree with her, except with one variation. Yes you want to avoid "Chargers", but you still need a ski that can turn you. Skis marketed at advanced and intermediate skiers are not chargers, and MOST expert skis are not chargers. At 250 lbs you need twice as much force to make the same turns I make, and that includes turns that are not high-performance turns, but just turns to avoid running into other skiers at 5 to 10 mph on a crowded bunny hill. Definitely avoid beginner-novice skis, even though you are a beginner. Yes, the skis will be less forgiving, due to being not so easy to over-power when they do what you told them to do in error, but you need those higher forces.

Having trouble leaving the wedge after so many days on snow? Something is wrong. I suspect poor fitting boots and poor or not enough instruction.

I recently had to teach my son-out-law (son-in-law without the paperwork) how to ski. We had planned on buying him a lesson, but the lessons were all booked. He's about your size and a bit heavier. His biggest problem was fear of running into someone, a well-founded fear; hills are crowded here in Ontario Canada.

You say your are too chicken-bleep to put that ski parallel at the top of the hill. The reason is you cannot be sure you will remain in control, and may be making a good decision. You need to know that you will turn, and not turn into a run-away freight train. It is very hard to control your skis if your boots are too big. Your first priority should be to find a good boot fitter and get boots that fit. With boots that fit and good instruction you will be skiing parallel in (almost) no time, even on rental skis (the longest ones they have).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....Having trouble leaving the wedge after so many days on snow? Something is wrong. I suspect poor fitting boots and poor or not enough instruction.
....It is very hard to control your skis if your boots are too big. Your first priority should be to find a good boot fitter and get boots that fit. With boots that fit and good instruction you will be skiing parallel in (almost) no time, even on rental skis (the longest ones they have).

Worth a refrigerator magnet.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Which width?
I don’t think an 88mm ski is best for learning.
It’s tempting to say it’s ok if you’re in the west and only have one ski. But learners aren’t really going into fluffy snow in general anyway, and width really lets one get away with bad habits.
I do think the latest gen Rossi Exp 88 is a great all around ski for many people. Basically most unless you really know what you like. It’s a no brainer recommendation for a rental if appropriate.

He picked up the 74's. He is definitely still learning and I think he will outgrow these skis fast. My advice will be buy a ski in the mid 80s when he is ready to head off piste.

Sponsor

Staff online