• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Armada Invictus 99Ti
Dimensions: 135-99-125
Radius: 21.5m@187cm
Sizes: 171, 179, 187
Size tested: 187
Design: NGT

This ski is all business. It's like the Tracer's older brother who got it together right out of high school. It absolutely handled everything like a champ. If I needed a ski that was strictly for days that I spend chasing some of the expert members of the Pugski team, this could be it. The problem is, all work and no play makes Invictus a dull ski for me. I thought it was a great ski, just not one for me.
  • Who it is for? Someone needing a ripper in the 90s underfoot.
  • Who is it not for? Those looking for a ski with playful pop.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let Armada’s chill vibe fool you into thinking it doesn’t make some serious skis.

Armada Tracer 108
Dimensions: 135-108-126.5
Radius: 20m@188cm
Sizes: 164, 172, 180, 188
Size tested: 188
Design: New Construction

Armada's Tracer 108 was my favorite of the day. It made me smile while I was on it and made me want to ski more. I feel like Armada nailed it with the improved construction. It is strong enough to bust through the crud while keeping a very bright, playful feeling -- I would even say it felt a bit nimble. I have a feeling it will be in my quiver soon.
  • Who it is for? Someone wanting a fun ski that can still get the job done.
  • Who is it not for? Those needing a hard-charging, solid-all-the-way ski.
  • Insider tip: Just a hunch but there is a chance I'll have a Long-Term Review on this ski in the future.

Blizzard Rustler 10

Dimensions: 133-102-112
Radius: 17.5m@180cm
Size tested: 180
Design: All New

The Rustler 10 was my second favorite of the day -- mainly because I felt that it is a cross between the playfulness of the Tracer 108 and the business side of the Invictus 99Ti. I can see this being a great ski for a one- or two-ski quiver. Just add a carver for a 2SQ or stick with it through everything: it holds the snow well enough to carve a bit and make it through chop but also easily handles a bit of powder. I was impressed.
  • Who it is for? A lot of people. Those looking for a wider, do-it-all ski.
  • Who is it not for? Those with a larger quiver. There are other skis that excel in the different areas.
  • Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor.

Dynastar Menace Proto
Dimensions: 145-118-135
Radius: 24m@189cm
Sizes: 180, 189
Size tested: 189
Design: NGT

When I think back on testing this ski, I think I went wrong by “asking” it to do things; it seemed a bit unresponsive. I realize I needed to be “telling” it what I wanted. This seems to be a kick-ass ski that I’m not quite at the level of utilizing yet, so it isn't completely the ski's fault, but it was my least favorite of the day.
  • Who it is for? Skiers who know exactly what they want from a ski and how to demand it.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates; those needing to work on their confidence; lightweights.
  • Insider tip: You’d better have a strong lead if you expect this dance partner to follow.

K2 Mindbender 108Ti
Dimensions: 136-108-125
Radius: 22.9m@186cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186, 193
Size tested: 186

The Mindbender 108Ti has a very nice feel to it. It even gave me enough confidence to achieve my crash of the day. It handled all of the conditions I put it through and I felt all around consistency from it. I could imagine this as a daily driver for someone looking for a solid all-around ski.
  • Who it is for? Someone who likes to make lots of turns no matter the conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Don’t like passenger assistance when driving? You won't like this one.
  • Insider tip: If you disliked some of the past K2 skis, don't let that dissuade you.

Salomon QST 106
Dimensions: 140-105-126
Sizes: 167, 174, 181, 188

To me this is a “good” ski. I felt “good” on it. It looks “good.” Unfortunately, that was the best it got. Just good. I couldn’t find anything "great" about it. Even the topsheet graphic is just “good.” It didn’t excite me in any way. I hate to use the term, but it felt bland. I also felt I couldn’t stay forward on it. I wasn’t getting thrown in the back seat but I just couldn’t seem to find the sweet spot.
  • Who it is for? Looking for a ski that isn't overly exciting, in either a good way or bad way? You’ll love it.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a ski to make them giddy.
  • Insider tip: Maybe I'm not ”insider” enough to understand what they were trying to accomplish with this ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews. Can you provide some background on your background, size, ability, where you ski, etc.? For context? Thanks!

TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews. Can you provide some background on your background, size, ability, where you ski, etc.? For context? Thanks!

I'm 38 years old, 6'1" 205 lb; I have played sports my whole life and am still athletic. I have also been a professional ballroom dancer for 18 years, which includes competing and instructing. I tried downhill skiing for the first time in December 2013 and became addicted immediately. I average about 25 days a season and I have been taking both group and private lessons throughout that time. At this point I'm considered (from what I'm told) an advanced intermediate skier.
I ski predominantly out West. (CA, CO, MT, WA) I occasionally get some days in the east but usually less than 5 per year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think you skied with Stephen at Snowbasin last year and Big Sky this year.
He's in Yellow pants far looker's right.
Isn't that you in the middle with the blue jacket?

IMG_4767.jpeg

Perhaps we need a testers profile page :D

There's this from Snowbasin
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2018-utah-gathering-photos-and-trip-reports.8981/page-19#post-264099

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you skied with Stephen at Snowbasin last year and Big Sky this year.
He's in Yellow pants far looker's right.
Isn't that you in the middle with the blue jacket?
View attachment 74200
Perhaps we need a testers profile page :D

Yeah, it all came back to me as soon as I saw "ballroom."

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Armada Tracer 108
Dimensions: 135-108-126.5

Armada's Tracer 108 was my favorite of the day. It made me smile while I was on it and made me want to ski more. I feel like Armada nailed it with the improved construction. It is strong enough to bust through the crud while keeping a very bright, playful feeling -- I would even say it felt a bit nimble. I have a feeling it will be in my quiver soon.
  • Who it is for? Someone wanting a fun ski that can still get the job done.
  • Who is it not for? Those needing a hard-charging, solid-all-the-way ski.
  • Insider tip: Just a hunch but there is a chance I'll have a Long-Term Review on this ski in the future.

Blizzard Rustler 10

Dimensions: 133-102-112
Radius: 17.5m@180cm
Size tested: 180

The Rustler 10 was my second favorite of the day -- mainly because I felt that it is a cross between the playfulness of the Tracer 108 and the business side of the Invictus 99Ti. I can see this being a great ski for a one- or two-ski quiver. Just add a carver for a 2SQ or stick with it through everything: it holds the snow well enough to carve a bit and make it through chop but also easily handles a bit of powder. I was impressed.
  • Who it is for? A lot of people. Those looking for a wider, do-it-all ski.
  • Who is it not for? Those with a larger quiver. There are other skis that excel in the different areas.
  • Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor.
So I noticed that you skied the 188cm Teacer 108 and the 180cm Rustler 10. Could you comment on how you feel about the two in those lenghts, i.e., does one ski like a shorter ski, the other ski like a longer ski?
Would it be advisible for people to size up or down in one or the other?

Also, "Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor." I assume you referring to the '18/'19 model year, did you demo that version at some point or are you going by past reviews of the '18/'19 Rustler 10?

Last edited:
TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I noticed that you skied the 188cm Teacer 108 and the 180cm Rustler 10. Could you comment on how you feel about the two in those lenghts, i.e., does one ski like a shorter ski, the other ski like a longer ski?
Would it be advisible for people to size up or down in one or the other?

Also, "Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor." I assume you referring to the '18/'19 model year, did you demo that version at some point or are you going by past reviews of the '18/'19 Rustler 10?

I went with what the reps recommended on length. The tracer in the 188 felt just right. I think the 180 would’ve been too small. The 180 in the Rustler felt ok however I feel like the 188 would have been too long.

I have been on the 18’/19’ Rustler and it wasn’t as “fun” for me. The new one seems a bit more playful and more nimble.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm 38 years old, 6'1" 205 lb; I have played sports my whole life and am still athletic. I have also been a professional ballroom dancer for 18 years, which includes competing and instructing. I tried downhill skiing for the first time in December 2013 and became addicted immediately. I average about 25 days a season and I have been taking both group and private lessons throughout that time. At this point I'm considered (from what I'm told) an advanced intermediate skier.
I ski predominantly out West. (CA, CO, MT, WA) I occasionally get some days in the east but usually less than 5 per year.
Interested in ski ballet?

Sponsor

Staff online