• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steering Damper

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Who knew?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I haven't experienced this since I was a teenager. Does this mean that I just don't go fast enough? I pretty much top out at 30 on road bike.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I think it can depend on the bike and the setup. Probably you just have better gear now. And you're slower.. :roflmao:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wonder if the ViscoSet can minimize the speed wobble I suffer when shivering on a very cold ride. Its weird, and scary on a fast downhill, how shivering in your core seems to transmit to the bike frame.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
“E-bike ready”. OTOH, I used to tour on noodly steel frames. Definitely something to be aware of under those circumstances.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They've had steering dampers for decades for murder cycles.

Pedal bikes too. Mostly of the spring-loaded type like this.

I haven't experienced this since I was a teenager. Does this mean that I just don't go fast enough? I pretty much top out at 30 on road bike.

The bike quality point is well made. I think cheap, stiff bikes with low geometric trail are most susceptible to this. I had an absolute nightmare of a time getting rid of it on that cheap Chinese pseudo-gravel rig - including a headset change, two stem changes, silly-wider handlebars and several tire changes for more pneumatic trail.

When I started, it would do it at anything over 15mph on 4% downhills and up/down vibration would precess into side wobbles. Which sort of ties into Ghost's frequency question - it depends on the rotational speed of the wheel.

Wooden slat bridge decks were a nightmare, even below 40psi. It was an incremental process after that, including several configurations that would do OK at 20-25mph but would get massive front-back bucking under braking.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pedal bikes too. Mostly of the spring-loaded type like this.

The bike quality point is well made. I think cheap, stiff bikes with low geometric trail are most susceptible to this. I had an absolute nightmare of a time getting rid of it on that cheap Chinese pseudo-gravel rig - including a headset change, two stem changes, silly-wider handlebars and several tire changes for more pneumatic trail.

When I started, it would do it at anything over 15mph on 4% downhills and up/down vibration would precess into side wobbles. Which sort of ties into Ghost's frequency question - it depends on the rotational speed of the wheel.

Wooden slat bridge decks were a nightmare, even below 40psi. It was an incremental process after that, including several configurations that would do OK at 20-25mph but would get massive front-back bucking under braking.
Wow, I don't ride expensive bikes by modern standards. But this makes me appreciate just how good they are, relatively speaking!

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I am currently riding a noodle road bike..if i take one hand off the bars there is a good chance some wobble will start... I find it exhilarating though and won't succumb to the allure of the damper... Funny story, Honda was insistent for a long time that only poorly designed motorcycles need steering dampers and they refused to install one from the factory..until their 929 crashed a bunch of times and they saw the light and now have factory dampers on many of their bikes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am currently riding a noodle road bike..if i take one hand off the bars there is a good chance some wobble will start... I find it exhilarating though and won't succumb to the allure of the damper... Funny story, Honda was insistent for a long time that only poorly designed motorcycles need steering dampers and they refused to install one from the factory..until their 929 crashed a bunch of times and they saw the light and now have factory dampers on many of their bikes.

Remember Jim Papadopoulos?

I draw your attention to the third from last paragraph, namely:

Papadopoulos, who now has a teaching position at Northeastern University in Boston, is trying to get comfortable with academia once again. He's establishing collaborations, and testing out long-dormant ideas about why some bicycles wobble at high speed. He believes he can eliminate speed wobble with a damper to soak up vibrations in the seat post. With his new colleagues and students, he is branching out into other types of question, not all them bike-related.

So, would you want to try a cobble gobbler or Redshift post in there just for kicks?

A mechanically sprung post was one of the first things I tried for my problem- didn't work to solve but it changed the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
For sure..any mass damper-type of mechanism will have an effect right? It's an oscillation..so you could probably change the frequency enough to make it less obvious at normal speeds. I have to say, the electronically controlled steering dampers on motorcycles now are pretty magic. At 8/10ths I'd ride a motorcycle on the track without a damper..but above that I think they become mandatory...

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I actually made a damper for the seat stay of my mtb to stop brake vibration. Worked decent enough.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Look up the Hopey, not to be confused with Hope. Hopey came out at least 20 years ago.

I used a Hopey on a few bikes. Of course that was when wheels were 26" and 3" was a long travel bike. The damper made blasting through rock gardens a breeze. Once you got use to the feeling, if you turned it off it was like riding with your front quick release open.

I sold it on Ebay a few yeats ago for almost what I paid for it.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Wouldn't think of riding my bike without a steering damper.....
IMG_0857.JPG

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I think you meant couch.... Wouldn't ride your couch... :ogbiggrin:
You spelled eye-abuser incorrectlyogwink
Kidding, I think it looks good, and it looks more comfy than a GSX-R750. Is it? How fast do you have to be going to have no weight on your wrists?
PSA rake and trail adds stability. Should you find yourself about to land on the front wheel with negative rake and trail after going over an elevated bridge deck at a buck ten, reving the engine might be enough to adjust the bike's attitude (a sucessful landing might not help with the pilot's attitude).

Sponsor

Staff online