• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steelers!

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
When I point my hearing aid in the direction of Heinz Field, what do I hear but "Go Browns!"

iu

upload_2018-12-30_16-39-47.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Baker almost got you there. I was pulling for him to make that happen.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was definitely rooting for the Browns. Gregg Williams is an old friend of mine from his Redskin’s days. He had a great run as an interim HC.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Is Antonio Brown going to be our next Bell? I don't think I'd bend over backward for him, do you?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is Antonio Brown going to be our next Bell? I don't think I'd bend over backward for him, do you?

Something systemic is going on with that team imo. I’m guessng Tomlin has little to no control over his guys. Any time individualism shows up on a team it dilutes team performance and it certainly has with the Steelers. Admit it or not, Bell’s situation was a huge distraction. I’d use Brown as an example for all current and future Steelers as to my team 1st approach. No one player should ever be allowed to be bigger than the team. It’s also worth noting this isn’t Brown’s 1st time showing his me 1st colors.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not a Steelers fan but I've thought they've have had a ton of talent and should have been contending for Super Bowls with the Patriots the last handful of years. To me that indicates the issue is coaching. I know that the Steelers have a history of holding onto coaches for a long time but IMO they've pissed away the last of Big Ben's prime years by sticking with Tomlin.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Tomlin ain't going nowhere. He didn't throw numerous interceptions in the red zone. He didn't fumble the ball at critical times in important games. He didn't drop interceptions that could have change the outcome. He didn't miss field goals that could have won the game. You may not be a Steelers fan but you sure sound like the jaded fans around here who think that Lombardi trophies are a birthright.

As for Antonio, the guy just has an outsize ego, imagine that. I remember a while back Hines Ward call him, Wallace, and Sanders young money. Wallace was a fee agent demanding more than the Steelers wanted to pay a receiver Tomlin called a one trick pony. Instead they gave Brown a long term contract extension. He worked his rear off and became the player he is now. Great talent, greater ego. Maybe they fine him instead of making excuses. Tomlin did bench him, Brown showed game day expecting to play. I'll tell you one thing, they ain't gonna trade him or bench him next season.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I don't think that trophies are a birthright for any team; I just see a team with great talent that under-achieves and that usually points to coaching. I know ultimately it's the players job to perform on the field but preparing them to do that job is coaching.

As I said, I'm not a Steelers fan but I have respected the organization for many years.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Was home in the Burgh last week and made it to the game. Was kind of a trip when the game ended and everyone stayed to cheer on the Browns on the Jumbotron

Tomlin needs to go! It was the hot conversation from everyone I ran into over the holidays. Ben dosent have much lef in the tank so we're in for a rebuild over the next few years. We're in major need of a point man on the D that everyone can rally around also.

Was nice to see a win to finish the season
image.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tomlin needs to go!

I couldn't disagree more. That's overly reactionary and counter to the behavior of the organization over the years. What are the odds that his replacement will be better? They went 9-6-1, and could have won a couple more. They didn't go 3-13...

And we had a point man on D - unfortunately, it was Shazier.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given the Steelers have had 3 coaches since the late 60s, I don’t think Tomlin is in any danger unless things get much worse over the next year or 2, which is possible. Ben is clearly and expectedly on the downside of his career so we will see how that affects a team already not meeting reasonable expectations. In sports you don’t stay the same. You either get better or you don’t. Both can happen pretty quickly in the NFL.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
If a 5000 yard season is an indication of Ben on decline then I guess we'll just have to do with Ben that throws for only about 4500 to 4800 yards. What Ben needs to do is throw less interceptions. There is also a theory in town that Ben's interceptions are due to forcing throws to his star primadonna...er wideout, AB. I'd like to see a little more running, they were looking like a lock and possible 1st round bye when Connor was ripping off 100 yards games. When Connor went down and the Steelers had to rely on Ben's arm and well, now the Steelers will be playing golf. Changes coming on the O-line especially when line coach Mike Munchak gets a well deserve Head Coach job but the core offense will be intact. Maybe we can get a shutdown corner in the draft, maybe we find another Shazier or Polamalu. The Steelers will be contenders next season just as hey have been since 1972.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ben had a solid year but no question, much like Brady, he’s not carrying the whole load anymore. Going forward ihow the Steelers do will depend more and more on who they get around Ben. Also-passing yards aren’t always a great stat as to success as teams throw the ball much more when they are behind.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just read where Brown has requested a trade. It won’t happen but let the off season games begin!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, how is the Brown trade going over in Steelers Nation? From what I've read it looks like the Steelers got screwed over because Brown put them in a bad position, leverage-wise. Is he taking all the heat in the fans eyes?

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brown's loss to our offense is tough. Uncle Louie and I were at the game where he made the "Immaculate Extension" to whup the Ravens when it counted. But that was a few seasons ago, and AB, while still talented, isn't a kid any more. I'm optimistic that JuJu will continue to shine, Vance McDonald was coming on strong late last season, and there's some other bright spots who can get it done.

Still, Ben's not a kid any more either, and I'm more concerned now about who's throwing the ball rather than who's able to catch it.

As for AB going to the Raiders? At least it wasn't New England.

Oh yeah...and LET'S GO, PENS!

Sponsor

Staff online