• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steelers!

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I usually don't comment on officiating because bad or questionable calls are part of the game. After all, refs are human. The most you can ask for is consistency but a ref can't call a foul if he doesn't see it. Yesterday seemed like way too much and little consistency, especially on neutral zone infractions. I saw instances where a defensive lineman lined up with his down hand clearly on the line of scrimmage. I say clearly because the camera angle was not a factor. the ball was on a five yard marker as was the stance. Meanwhile, players were called offsides when it appeared that a player encroached trying to anticipate the snap, didn't make contact, didn't cross the line but was "in the neutral zone". There is no excuse for inconsistency in this instance. Maybe I don't understand what "the neutral zone" means. Offsides or encroachment used to entail contact with the opposing player or clearly beyond the line of scrimmage.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I usually don't comment on officiating because bad or questionable calls are part of the game. After all, refs are human. The most you can ask for is consistency but a ref can't call a foul if he doesn't see it. Yesterday seemed like way too much and little consistency, especially on neutral zone infractions. I saw instances where a defensive lineman lined up with his down hand clearly on the line of scrimmage. I say clearly because the camera angle was not a factor. the ball was on a five yard marker as was the stance. Meanwhile, players were called offsides when it appeared that a player encroached trying to anticipate the snap, didn't make contact, didn't cross the line but was "in the neutral zone". There is no excuse for inconsistency in this instance. Maybe I don't understand what "the neutral zone" means. Offsides or encroachment used to entail contact with the opposing player or clearly beyond the line of scrimmage.

There are zero excuses for officials missing pre-snap penalties like encroachment, illegal motion, illegal formation, etc. Zero. Even officials agree on that point.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Any comments on Tomlin choosing to defend rather than receive after winning the coin toss? I thought it was a terrible call but it turned out to be the right call given the way the defense played. Tomlin said at post game meeting with the press that the Raven's kicker consistently placed the ball so the Steelers had to attempt a return and with a 4.5 second hang time that gave time to the Raven's coverage team the Steelers began at the 15 or worse, "why would I sign on to that?" he asked.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was OK with most of the calls, but that one roughing call was a little much. I was like "hey guys James Harrison retired you can't just flag 92 all the time".

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol. Harrison tweeted yesterday that he was okay with the hit that knocked out Rudolph.

I'm sure lots of people are OK with it. A few years ago, it just would have been a good play.

That's why they have so many rules about not hitting someone high now, and giving lots of benefit of the doubt to the player being hit. There are plenty of plays where the defender appears to have little choice, as the offensive player ducks or moves. They want defenders to go low, or back off, or purely arm tackle, rather than even risk that the player with the ball is going to duck or otherwise be in a position to have their head hit.

I don't think Earl Thomas was aiming for Rudolph's head... but he certainly went high enough to risk it and bring that into play. So it was a flag, and maybe a fine. Those're the rules now. James Harrison can think it's fine - but he's probably not making that judgement according to the current rules. I suppose Deacon Jones thinks they should stop calling all this hands to the face crap, and get back to allowing head slaps. :D

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Harrison is wrong, of course. The good news is Rudolph was back at the Steelers training facility today and jokING with teammates. He was not hospitalized overnight.

Thomas will not be suspended but probably fined. The NBC nightly news will run a piece on the hit tonight.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m a big Mason fan for selfish reasons I guess. Until middle school when he moved to SC he played in our local youth football league in western Loudoun County Virginia. He was coached by a good friend of mine. Great kid and great family. He wasn’t a QB in those days though.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tomlin to the Redskins? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ke-tomlin-or-one-of-two-prominent-assistants/

Probably not, but hey, coupling a guy who can't coach with a guy who can't own would at least be entertaining. (And yes, I realize that Tomlin does have his supporters. So does Snyder).

:popcorn:

If he comes down here it would be more of a reflection on his sanity than his coaching ability. When it comes to coaches there are 2 possibilities, situation wise, historically for the Skins: a) an upcoming assistant starving for a shot to be a HC (Zorn, Gruden, Turner) , or b) a former, but declining big name coach looking for his last huge contract on the way out the door for good (Gibbs, Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Spurrier). I’m not sure Tomlin fits either right now although everyone likes a good salary increase.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Jaylen Samuels is now out with knee surgery. The only good take away from that is no more wildcat. Mark Barron, starting ILB most noted for critical holding penalties, is questionable as Steve Nelson, starting CB.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Tomlin to the Redskins? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ke-tomlin-or-one-of-two-prominent-assistants/

Probably not, but hey, coupling a guy who can't coach with a guy who can't own would at least be entertaining. (And yes, I realize that Tomlin does have his supporters. So does Snyder).

:popcorn:
If he comes down here it would be more of a reflection on his sanity than his coaching ability. When it comes to coaches there are 2 possibilities, situation wise, historically for the Skins: a) an upcoming assistant starving for a shot to be a HC (Zorn, Gruden, Turner) , or b) a former, but declining big name coach looking for his last huge contract on the way out the door for good (Gibbs, Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Spurrier). I’m not sure Tomlin fits either right now although everyone likes a good salary increase.

Funny how Tomlin is more highly regarded outside of the Steelers' fan base.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Steelers fans have higher standards?

Steeler fans certainly have higher expectations. Tomlin is not the greatest coach in the NFL today. Most say it's Belichick except for maybe the two insignificant scandals which seem to be widely excused because well, football is a rough game and rules don't matter as long as you win and cheating didn't matter in at least 1 game. Who would you have as HC? I have many complaints about Tomlin but I don't think there are better coaches out there let alone better coaches that are available. Maybe the Steelers should trade for Belichick. That's about as likely as Tomlin going to Washington.

W L T Win % Finish W L Win % Result
PIT
2007 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 . 000 Lost to Jacksonville Jaguars in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT
2008 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 3 0 1.000 Super Bowl XLIII Champions
PIT
2009 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2010 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 2 1 .667 Lost to Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV
PIT
2011 12 4 0 .750 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT
2012 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2013 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2014 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT
2015 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Divisional Game
PIT
2016 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 2 1 .667 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game
PIT
2017 13 3 0 .813 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Jacksonville Jaguars in AFC Divisional Game
PIT
2018 9 6 1 .594 2nd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2019 1 4 0 .200 TBD – – – –
Total[21] 126 70 1 .642 8 7 .533

I tried to align and space the columns but the site editor isn't accepting the changes.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Steelers fans have higher standards?

I suppose, but after about 5 years people wanted Cowher gone too, saying he was good but would never be good enough, right up until he won a Super Bowl.

How many Super Bowls could Tomlin have without the historically best team ever Patriots around? Probably a good chance at a couple more.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t think it’s a secret here that I think Tomlin has under achieved given the level of talent he’s had for the 10 years prior to this year. That said, if Tomlin left after the season he would have a lot better opportunity to coach teams much better than the Redskins imo.. The Redskins edge is they have the dumbest owner in professional sports with some of the deepest pockets.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I suppose, but after about 5 years people wanted Cowher gone too, saying he was good but would never be good enough, right up until he won a Super Bowl.

I always liked Cowher.

How many Super Bowls could Tomlin have without the historically best team ever Patriots around? Probably a good chance at a couple more.

Well, @LaurelHillCraze posted Tomlin's record above. By my count, they've lost in the playoffs seven times. Only one of those losses was to the Pats.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One thing about Cowher was everyone knew who was in charge. I’d have paid money to watch him deal with AB.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I always liked Cowher.

Well, @LaurelHillCraze posted Tomlin's record above. By my count, they've lost in the playoffs seven times. Only one of those losses was to the Pats.
True... but i was also thinking of the opportunities for better seeds going into the playoffs too with more regular season wins.