• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steelers!

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I was wondering how long AB would last with the Brady Bunch. I won't be surprised if another team picks him up. Common sense says this should end this clown's career but this is the NFL.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Common sense says this should end this clown's career but this is the NFL.

I'd only think it's career ending if he's found guilty, or if the NFL thinks there's enough there to suspend him for a long time, a la Ray Rice. If nothing comes of the lawsuits and the NFL doesn't suspend him for a year or more, I think it's certain he'll be signed again.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd only think it's career ending if he's found guilty, or if the NFL thinks there's enough there to suspend him for a long time, a la Ray Rice. If nothing comes of the lawsuits and the NFL doesn't suspend him for a year or more, I think it's certain he'll be signed again.

I expect we will see him on another team at some point once this passes. That doesn’t match my moral compass on these types of situations, but I have to remind myself that if the NFL tossed everyone with some type of criminal conviction or accusation they’d only have enough players to field about 5-6 teams.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...if the NFL tossed everyone with some type of criminal conviction or accusation they’d only have enough players to field about 5-6 teams...
To add to that... the criminal and arrest rate in the NFL is actually lower than the general population of men of the same age. It's pretty much what you'd expect for a group of people selected (pretty much) only for their football skill.

There are also studies that indicate that the rate of violent crime is higher in the NFL, as a percentage of crimes committed. I haven't seen a definitive rationale for that, but I'd imagine playing a violent sport, being all about control, and having been given favorable treatment because of being a star athlete, all play into that.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I expect we will see him on another team at some point once this passes. That doesn’t match my moral compass on these types of situations, but I have to remind myself that if the NFL tossed everyone with some type of criminal conviction or accusation they’d only have enough players to field about 5-6 teams.

My comment wasn't about criminality or morality so much as it was about AB being a huge distraction on and off the field. I kinda wish that NE hadn't given up on him so fast. I really wanted to see if AB would settle down and get back to being a great receiver. No doubt AB made life easier for the Steelers other receivers but that didn't stop him from pouting and throwing tantrums when he felt he was getting the ball enough. I still believe more than a few of Ben's interceptions last year was due to forcing the ball to AB to keep him happy. There is an element in among the NFL sports media, former players, and many fans that will blame AB's behavior on Tomlin for not controlling him or Roethlisberger for calling him. I think now people begin to understand that it was all AB. Many here seriously speculate that AB has a traumatic brain injury. Maybe AB and his agent orchestrated his move from the Steelers to NE through the Raiders but that doesn't explain all his off-field antics and I'm not just talking about the 2 most recent allegations of sexual assault. I don't think it has anything to do with brain injury other than narcissism and egotism.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My comment wasn't about criminality or morality so much as it was about AB being a huge distraction on and off the field. I kinda wish that NE hadn't given up on him so fast. I really wanted to see if AB would settle down and get back to being a great receiver. No doubt AB made life easier for the Steelers other receivers but that didn't stop him from pouting and throwing tantrums when he felt he was getting the ball enough. I still believe more than a few of Ben's interceptions last year was due to forcing the ball to AB to keep him happy. There is an element in among the NFL sports media, former players, and many fans that will blame AB's behavior on Tomlin for not controlling him or Roethlisberger for calling him. I think now people begin to understand that it was all AB. Many here seriously speculate that AB has a traumatic brain injury. Maybe AB and his agent orchestrated his move from the Steelers to NE through the Raiders but that doesn't explain all his off-field antics and I'm not just talking about the 2 most recent allegations of sexual assault. I don't think it has anything to do with brain injury other than narcissism and egotism.

While I agree that AB is responsible for his own actions, no way in my mind does Tomlin get a pass on this for his 10 years plus of coddling and looking the other way and doing everything possible to pander to AB’s ego instead of dealing with him. I’ve coached too many teams and played on too many more, to accept that the very first time AB acted up much of what we saw the Steelers put up with for 10 years couldn’t have been avoided with some stern correction on Tomlin’s part and that’s before you consider the fact that he had 3 of the most talented offensive players of the last decade on his team during those 10 years and didn’t win squat. It’s hard for me to feel bad for the player in the situation, but it leaves me wondering where his career would be right now had he played for someone that actually held him accountable for his actions over the years, like a Bill Belichick.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
While I agree that AB is responsible for his own actions, no way in my mind does Tomlin get a pass on this for his 10 years plus of coddling and looking the other way and doing everything possible to pander to AB’s ego instead of dealing with him. I’ve coached too many teams and played on too many more, to accept that the very first time AB acted up much of what we saw the Steelers put up with for 10 years couldn’t have been avoided with some stern correction on Tomlin’s part and that’s before you consider the fact that he had 3 of the most talented offensive players of the last decade on his team during those 10 years and didn’t win squat. It’s hard for me to feel bad for the player in the situation, but it leaves me wondering where his career would be right now had he played for someone that actually held him accountable for his actions over the years, like a Bill Belichick.

So how much have the Redskins won? How much has Cleveland, Detroit won, just to name a few? Why did the Steelers have "3 of the most talented offensive players of the last decade" while consistently drafting at the bottom of the first round? (Ben drafted under Cowher when the Steelers went 8-8. AB drafted in the 6th round) Tomlin's has never had a losing season. Tell me about the AFC East. When was the last time 3 teams out of that division made the playoff in the same year in the last 10 seasons? When was the last time 2 teams from that division made the playoffs in the same season in that time? Tomlin's winning percentage still is the second best among active coaches. Bilicheat's record is better especially postseason but getting there has been much easier. I retract my previous statement. It wasn't all AB. Tomlin should have been more strict with AB but to say Tomlin hasn't won squat is just pure BS. They use to say the same thing about Cowher too. AB's team killing antics and disrespect began about 3 or 4 years ago but the first hint was excessive TD celebrations that lead to NFL fines but what did the league eventually do? They change the rule to allow such antics. Blame that one on Tomlin too. In a system that coddles athletes beginning in high school, to blame egotism on one person or team is laughable.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So how much have the Redskins won? How much has Cleveland, Detroit won, just to name a few? Why did the Steelers have "3 of the most talented offensive players of the last decade" while consistently drafting at the bottom of the first round? (Ben drafted under Cowher when the Steelers went 8-8. AB drafted in the 6th round) Tomlin's has never had a losing season. Tell me about the AFC East. When was the last time 3 teams out of that division made the playoff in the same year in the last 10 seasons? When was the last time 2 teams from that division made the playoffs in the same season in that time? Tomlin's winning percentage still is the second best among active coaches. Bilicheat's record is better especially postseason but getting there has been much easier. I retract my previous statement. It wasn't all AB. Tomlin should have been more strict with AB but to say Tomlin hasn't won squat is just pure BS. They use to say the same thing about Cowher too. AB's team killing antics and disrespect began about 3 or 4 years ago but the first hint was excessive TD celebrations that lead to NFL fines but what did the league eventually do? They change the rule to allow such antics. Blame that one on Tomlin too. In a system that coddles athletes beginning in high school, to blame egotism on one person or team is laughable.

Nice try with the Skins. I assume based on my NOVA residency you think I’m a skins fan but I’m not. I grew up a Steelers fan in Western MD but I’m more of a football fan than any one team supporter. The Skins are an organization in shambles and that’s not changing any time soon but don’t believe it’s not easy to drift to the bottom in the NFL. Fair enough to say Tomlin isn’t responsible for what the league puts up with but no one said he was and that’s not the discussion here. But it’s also way off the mark to think his inaction with Brown and others didn’t hurt their title chances. In sports, there’s a fine line between winning and losing and the direction and temperament of the head coach plays a huge role from that standpoint. My opinion of Tomlin hasn’t changed thru the years. He’s been an average coach coaching great players imo. Could he have been worse, definitely, but he could also have been much better. Again, my opinion only. His leadership will get a real test over the rest of the season so we’ll see how things work out.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Wow, 5 turnovers and lose the game. 49ers O and D lines owned the Steelers all game. Maybe that vaunted O line is getting old. Maybe they miss Munchak. Maybe Connor is not the answer. His fumble sealed their fate. It was amazing that the Steelers were even in a position to win the game late in the 4th. That was much more due to 49ers mistakes than play by the Steelers. Next week the 0 and 3 Steelers face the 0 and 3 Bengals. I'm thinking right now that it will be the Steelers that will own 0 and 4 Tuesday morning.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn’t think the defense was too bad given the offense provided SF 5 extra possessions but the offense wasn’t good at all. No running game to speak of which makes it tough to throw the ball and it’s a passing league. I think Connor is fine when he has holes and most backs are, but he doesn’t have the elusiveness of Bell or the size of Bettis so he needs openings to be overly effective. He didn’t have those yesterday. He’s a guy you have to root for given what he’s overcome so I hope things go well with him down the road. FWIW, I do think they will beat the Bengals to avoid going 0-4 but there aren’t many gimmes in the NFL.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I don't know Coach, the D rolled over every time Rudulph put them ahead. They had no answer after JuJus's big paly and surrender the lead on a SF 75 yard drive then I think again on Johnson's first NFL TD. Granted the O never sustained a drive and the D was right back out there but the D couldn't stop the run and allowed several 3rd and long conversions. I don't know if Tomlin should go or Fitcher and Butler. I thought the offense game plan made it real easy on the 49er's D. Mason threw for 2 TDs when he went deep but then they went right back to ineffective short passes many of which were behind the line of scrimmage. The D still sucks in man coverage and still can't cover a big tight end or even a running back. Bush looked like the rookie that he is despite his 2 TD recoveries. That is to be expected but the Steelers could have used Vince Williams. I'm still rooting for Connor too.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given the short fields with turnovers and the fact they were continually on the field it could have been worse for the Defense. Not perfect for sure. They’re in a tough place right now so we’ll see what they’re made of from both a player and coach standpoint as the season progresses. Again, it’s easy to slide backwards in professional sports when things don’t go as planned. Some might say that with a so-so season at least you get a good draft pick but in the Steelers case their top 2020 pick will be wearing a Dolphin uniform in return for Fitzpatrick who essentially is their 2020 pick. Time will tell. I’m not super optimistic for this season though but it will be a huge help for this season and beyond if Rudolph can continually progress into a viable replacement for Ben when he’s permanently gone, if he already isn’t.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I don't know Coach, the D rolled over every time Rudulph put them ahead. They had no answer after JuJus's big paly and surrender the lead on a SF 75 yard drive then I think again on Johnson's first NFL TD. Granted the O never sustained a drive and the D was right back out there but the D couldn't stop the run and allowed several 3rd and long conversions. I don't know if Tomlin should go or Fitcher and Butler. I thought the offense game plan made it real easy on the 49er's D. Mason threw for 2 TDs when he went deep but then they went right back to ineffective short passes many of which were behind the line of scrimmage. The D still sucks in man coverage and still can't cover a big tight end or even a running back. Bush looked like the rookie that he is despite his 2 TD recoveries. That is to be expected but the Steelers could have used Vince Williams. I'm still rooting for Connor too.
They have to go with short routes with a 1 st time starter and a line that had holes. Mason has a decently quick release. JuJu should be the slot or #2 receiver, I was surprised Macdonald only had 2 targets. Plus it seemed like Tomlin didn't let him stretch the field until the second half. They had most of the d in and around the box the entire 1st half.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I only watched the first half. I knew we were kinda screwed when we took the ball away 4 times and only came away with 6 points.

Sponsor