• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat's New Gondi shaves 4 minutes off time

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I guess that makes the WiFi a little less useful... :rolleyes::D

LOL, yeah, like we needed Wifi for even a 10 minute ride??? Cell coverage there is excellent BTW..... I'm betting this was some kind of free or really low-cost option. Maybe it was part of an overall system used at the resort?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/snow-hits-steamboat-ahead-of-new-gondola-debut/

The new Gondi officially rolls today with increased size and ease of entry/exit (@Blue Streak can explain) and is unexpectedly fast! The old Gondi used to take 12 minutes from the base to the Thunderhead lodge, the anticipated speed of the the Gondi was 10 minutes but the actual speed is just under 8 minutes! thats huge on a powder day.
No more “Doh!” every time I hit my head.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm surprised that the ski lift design wouldn't predetermine the speed of the lift more accurately than 20%. New lift designed for a 10 minute ride. Actual ride is 8 minutes.
Why? Is the lift 20% shorter? Is the rope speed 20% faster? Why wasn't the rope speed determined during design?

What if it was designed for 10 minutes and ended up at 12 minutes????

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe they just lied about the time to exceed expectations. Or the time is quoted at 80% speed, which is prob what it runs at when not crowded. If you found out your car was 20% faster than quoted, you'd be happy. The reverse, not so.

Anyway, sounds good!

As for wifi, likely it's just to suck user data and maybe it's free because the company providing it keeps the data.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
since im not an engineer and I didnt design the system nor work for Doppelmyr I cant say why its faster but there are a lot of factors that go into how fast something goes. from what I understand, it was supposed to take 10 minutes and in the testing it went 8. Maybe once they adjust the system it will slow down.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
since im not an engineer and I didnt design the system nor work for Doppelmyr I cant say why its faster but there are a lot of factors that go into how fast something goes. from what I understand, it was supposed to take 10 minutes and in the testing it went 8. Maybe once they adjust the system it will slow down.

Maybe the reported duration of 10 minutes is an average between the actual traveling duration of 8 minutes and the zero mph when it's closed for maintenence.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe the reported duration of 10 minutes is an average between the actual traveling duration of 8 minutes and the zero mph when it's closed for maintenence.

it's a new toy ...

Doppelmyr should of nixed speed knob 11

Volume 11.jpg

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm surprised that the ski lift design wouldn't predetermine the speed of the lift more accurately than 20%. New lift designed for a 10 minute ride. Actual ride is 8 minutes.
Why? Is the lift 20% shorter? Is the rope speed 20% faster? Why wasn't the rope speed determined during design?

What if it was designed for 10 minutes and ended up at 12 minutes????

You must be an engineer. You guys are totally amazing with your calculations and such but rigid and struggle a bit when things aren’t so clear. 17 years ago I did an avie one course and we had an engineer in the group, he had a hard time with the uncertainty involved with snow science

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You must be an engineer. You guys are totally amazing with your calculations and such but rigid and struggle a bit when things aren’t so clear. 17 years ago I did an avie one course and we had an engineer in the group, he had a hard time with the uncertainty involved with snow science

A good engineer will simply view uncertainty as statistics and probabilities

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We re-wired it. More Power! OoohRah!

source.gif

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Two possibilities to my engineering mind:

1) They always knew it could go faster per the design, but were waiting for empirical runs to confirm before claiming a higher speed
2) The spec for 10 minutes includes some leeway for weather or other conditions, and the 8 minutes is optimal in nice weather

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

1) They always knew it could go faster per the design, but were waiting for empirical runs to confirm before claiming a higher speed
2) The spec for 10 minutes includes some leeway for weather or other conditions, and the 8 minutes is optimal in nice weather
Or 3), they are running it out of spec!

James

Out There
Instructor

3) the earth is obloid
4) they used the wrong factor converting to metric. Like Nasa. So it was shorter than they thought.
5) There's really nothing to this as the "ten minutes" was quoted from a guy who got it at the coffe shop over hearing some guy who heard it at the deli earlier. The deli source itself is questionable, but the sandwich was really good, enhancing the believability.

Going with 5)...

Sponsor