• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat's New Gondi shaves 4 minutes off time

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
3) the earth is obloid
4) they used the wrong factor converting to metric. Like Nasa. So it was shorter than they thought.
5) There's really nothing to this as the "ten minutes" was quoted from a guy who got it at the coffe shop over hearing some guy who heard it at the deli earlier. The deli source itself is questionable, but the sandwich was really good, enhancing the believability.

Going with 5)...

Haha! I like 5.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
All I know is that our new gondi really moves (when it is working of course) and I have enjoyed not having a head bang every other run. I barely have time to get a good conversation in now before it hits the top. They also redesigned the load line and it looks like it will be much improved.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
All I know is that our new gondi really moves (when it is working of course) and I have enjoyed not having a head bang every other run. I barely have time to get a good conversation in now before it hits the top. They also redesigned the load line and it looks like it will be much improved.

And what’s the timeline for the other new gondola? I’m curious, how do theclocals feel about expanding the boundaries into the rib?

That’s a pretty fun zone in there. Plenty of lips, fins and pillows!

Bruuuce

Skier
Feedback for opening the new terrain is mixed. We'll see how the plan rolls out. What I'd love to see first is access at the bottom of the sunshine lift. That would make the mornings sooo much less of a cluster.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
And what’s the timeline for the other new gondola? I’m curious, how do theclocals feel about expanding the boundaries into the rib?

That’s a pretty fun zone in there. Plenty of lips, fins and pillows!

thats not even realistically on the table right now.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Did they get it back up and running? Apparently they had a mechanical issue late Sunday.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Did they get it back up and running? Apparently they had a mechanical issue late Sunday.

no, its still down. I had heard an unsubstantiated statement that a new "wheel" of sorts is needed and its currently in Austria, I don't have facts yet but @Bruuuce or I will post as soon as we get confirmation. In the mean time, all terrain is still accessible. via Thunderhead lift.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Here's a quote from the Pilot. (newspaper)

the malfunction occurred on the drive line to the gear box in the upper terminal. Its cause is currently being assessed by resort officials and employees of Doppelmayr Garaventa Group, the Austria-based manufacturer of the gondola. As crews work to fix the issue, the gondola will not be in operation.

Bruuuce

Skier
I rode up with an employee this morning and he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity, that the part has been manufactured and is on its way along with some experts from Bavaria. Hope it is true.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so the matches with what I read/heard. seems to me this shouldn't be a protracted issue. Now, can they bring some beer and pretzels?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the faster lifts but that also puts more folks on the hill at one time. Sometimes it's worth a few extra minutes to have a more open slope. All this said never having been to Steamboat. Just experience at other places.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
while that is true, in our case, this just brings you up to mid-mountain. you ski from the summit down to mid-mountain here (Which is why we really only care about the summit snow reports :) so its not the same as dumping hoards of people directly onto the runs. once you get to the Thunderhead lodge, you can go to many different sections the mountain

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
No new bling bling lifts are going to fix the terrain deficit. At least they get some good snow.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ok folks, repairs are under weigh.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
No new bling bling lifts are going to fix the terrain deficit. At least they get some good snow.

we could use more terrain but hones.ty. Once you live here and understand the mountain better , there’s a ton of stuff that most people never see or know about. It’s hard to get bored on a powder day skiing 1800’ vert of trees that are literally Lift to lift.

Bruuuce

Skier
we could use more terrain but hones.ty. Once you live here and understand the mountain better , there’s a ton of stuff that most people never see or know about. It’s hard to get bored on a powder day skiing 1800’ vert of trees that are literally Lift to lift.

I couldn't agree more. If you ski with someone who knows the mountain there is much more great terrain than at first glance. Nope, we don't have lots of hike-to terrain, but I'll put one of our powder mornings up against other areas I've skied. Don't mean to sound like a homer, but follow @Ron (or even me) and you'll be exhausted before you run out of terrain.

Now that they've opened Burgess and Storm, the gondi issue will really only be a big problem in the morning. After that most won't be skiing gondi laps.

Sponsor

Staff online