• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat's New Gondi shaves 4 minutes off time

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that they've opened Burgess and Storm, the gondi issue will really only be a big problem in the morning. After that most won't be skiing gondi laps.

Nice to hear Storm Peak and Burgess open ... adds a lot more variety, maybe more than double the ski area I thinks - least for those looking for a few more blacks, bumps and trees

You just need to get up to thunderhead. After that you don’t need the gondi

Gondi certainly off loads the lines but often tool the Thunderhead anyhow just to warm up.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Of course I jinxed it. They didn't open BC or SP today so it was more than a little crowded. That cat track to Thunderhead was interesting at times. I was just glad to get through it each time. Hopefully the new terrain opens tomorrow!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
from what I could see, it was 4* with 40 MPH winds with snow on top? Not exactly ideal for early season conditions.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
nice ... but can it be a vortex in the Boat???

Reactions: Ron

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, in terms of the Boat ... for any traveling early I noted "Free Sundays" at Howelsen ...

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
DECEMBER 4

THE STEAMBOAT GONDOLA WILL OPEN TOMORROW MORNING (THURSDAY, DECEMBER 5) AT 8:30 AM.

Statement from Mark Bee, Doppelmayr President:
Doppelmayr would like to apologize to the Steamboat community for the interruption in service on the gondola, which was caused by a failure of the main gearbox after only two days of public operation. The backup systems functioned properly and the Steamboat team reacted quickly and appropriately after the gearbox failure. Our technicians and engineers worked around the clock with Steamboat personnel and technical experts from Germany, Austria and Canada, to replace the failed gearbox and associated components. We also took additional steps to improve the overall design and brought in a technical expert to eliminate vibration that contributed to the original failure. We have conducted numerous tests and are happy to report that the gondola will return to service on Thursday. We offer a sincere thanks to Rob Perlman, Dave Hunter and Kurt Castor, and to the Steamboat community for their patience and support. We are confident and proud of the Steamboat gondola and look forward to years of use for skiers and snowboarders.

Sponsor

Staff online