• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat to move and extend their gondola

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
There's not really an extension, the current gondola is being shortened and a new one will eventually supplement it.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So it seems they wish to move the Gondi up (east) 300 feet soonish, then the long range plan is to add a lift from Gondi area up to Basher, and then up to top of Sunshine - yes?

That's really interesting. I somewhat like and don't like it as I can see it getting really crowded up top but .. does make it simpler and faster than hitting Gondi and Spur run today.

Too, getting older I may just like a restaurant up at the top .. makes for an easier bathroom break!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
too, time for Ron, Bruce, others to buddy up and get a Priest lift chair if parted out ... though I suspect these if sold will be at auction.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This gondola is making national news.
Now I want to make a trip to Steamboat.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did ride the Wild Blue last year, up to the mid point (which is more like the quarter point) newly christened learning area.

Very smooth and I look forward to full ride to the top now that it's completed. I fret a bit too that it may become more a zoo at the top but analogously maybe offload some nice areas more mid mountain.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I did ride the Wild Blue last year, up to the mid point (which is more like the quarter point) newly christened learning area.

Very smooth and I look forward to full ride to the top now that it's completed. I fret a bit too that it may become more a zoo at the top but analogously maybe offload some nice areas more mid mountain.
I expect the Sunshine Peak area to be much more crowded in the morning and Storm Peak area less.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I expect the Sunshine Peak area to be much more crowded in the morning and Storm Peak area less.
Agree on first, but I ponder less on Storm Peak simply as it's now "easier" too, to get to.

Wild Blues's drop point is right in line on the high side of Traverse, up a bit from the first aid hut/building. I guess reality wise, it makes it easier to hit either side equally well.

I suppose folks will gravitate to whichever side has the better snow.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
here's a good image, first one in the story. One can see the hut/building on the left. Sundown lift would be on the left side dropping in towards the Wild Blue. Over on right in back, one can see the Storm Peak lift. Traverse would of course connect the two.

Hummm, guess it's more on mix of who want's blues over blacks .. or buddy's run I guess too is accessible.

Sponsor

Staff online