• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Getting so tired of this redundant forecast...snow...more snow...more snow...ogwink

What a great start to the year this has been!

so young, so jaded.... :)

Can't wait till the Pugs arrive to get some of this unbelievable season. (well, after we're done with the fresh powder)

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
@Bruuuce ready for tomorrows open or do we wait until afternoon?

It'll be interesting to see how much we get tonight. It we get what's expected I'll be out early. If we don't I might hold off. I'm thinking Sunday morning could be great too. I'll be on the horn in the morning with an update. Woo hoo!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
OK, ready to roll whenever you guys are. I'll plan on the AM, I'll get Ira in the loop too.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hey Steamboat fans, 5" reported at the summit and its still coming down as of 5AM. Heading up with @Bruuuce early for freshies. Will actually take some pics today. AND, @pete I will try to remember to take the picture of the new Condo cabin. :).

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I posted these on the CO weather thread but... another foot this AM. Conditions are off the charts crazy good,

Here's @Bruuuce gettin' some untracked in the Priest Creek lift line. and one of me in 2:15/30 trees

fullsizeoutput_922.jpeg fullsizeoutput_926.jpeg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
its really hard see but when I took that picture of @Bruuuce skiing, it was snowing so hard it was literally hard to see what was in front of you. That area is open but bumped up and undulating, you had to be on your A game and ski loose.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm headed out to Steamboat for the first time with a buddy late next week. Thanks for the unofficial resort guide, which is super helpful. Shoot me a PM if anyone is going to be around and is willing to show us around the mountain for a bit. May try first tracks on Thursday as well to help with that.

I've skied WP, Copper, Keystone, Loveland, and Beavercreek out that way. The family and I spend at least a week WP every year, which is my favorite by far of all those. I love the tree skiing and especially all the hidden gems there. Sounds like Steamboat is in the same category, which makes having folks who know the area super helpful!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
both @Bruuuce and I will be skiing most likely. PM us when you want to meet up. we are happy to meet up for turns.

BTW- very odd day. 5-6" of fresh fell today. Very low visibility as the mountain was in the clouds so the mountain was virtually empty. Made for some great turns today with @FairToMiddlin all AM in terrain that typically gets tracked.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Steamboat fans, 5" reported at the summit and its still coming down as of 5AM. Heading up with @Bruuuce early for freshies. Will actually take some pics today. AND, @pete I will try to remember to take the picture of the new Condo cabin. :).

Condo Cabin?

man, this first year I didn't try hard to talk folks into an early trip out in Dec . doubt it would have happened but given the beginning this year wish I had. Maybe good reason to get folks stoked for next year!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
, I love auto correct. I guess it didnt like "Gondi"
ahhh,

like the new look on the Gondi ... going with the Steamboat logo Blue looks good.

Looks to be a good year, wee on the cool side this week but hey .. I'd ski it!

Hoping maybe spring, first time in over 15yrs we haven't a trip to the boat planned, we're saddened but look forward to the improvements!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the temps are good! its typically zero or below around this time of year. As long as the winds aren't howling, skiing in zero isn't bad. if we had lower temps yesterday, there have been a ton more snow. it was actually grappling (sp) higher up which made for a more dense layer of about 5-6". It skied very well but it that were blower, we would have had another foot.

BTW- its snowing again. :).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...grappling (sp)...
I think it's "graupeling" when there's graupel falling from the sky.

I've been in it twice and it can make for some nice skiing... though that's from my eastern skier perspective. I suppose it's disappointing compared to what you've been skiing this season. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
thanks for the spell-check! It provides a great platform for a re-fresh. No complaints, its a little denser than cream cheese but not wet so it skied well. I was on my V92's which are a pretty traditional ski and I really didn't have any issues but @FairToMiddlin was on the Atomic Backland 107's (test ski) and those planed up beautifully. Thats a really nice ski. BTW.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
thanks for the spell-check! It provides a great platform for a re-fresh. No complaints, its a little denser than cream cheese but not wet so it skied well. I was on my V92's which are a pretty traditional ski and I really didn't have any issues but @FairToMiddlin was on the Atomic Backland 107's (test ski) and those planed up beautifully. Thats a really nice ski. BTW.

Those V92s seemed ideal for the day (and Christmas day as well, which was equally vacant), I am jonesing to try them. Gotta say, If I was a local at a place that trademarked Champagne Powder, I would be pretty happy with the Backland 107 as my fatty ski. I'll keep testing them, though, purely in the interest of collating data...

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online