• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Hoping to make it to Steamboat this year from east coast. Where's a cheap yet cockroach free place to bunk?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hoping to make it to Steamboat this year from east coast. Where's a cheap yet cockroach free place to bunk?

define cheap:).

read my guide. there a few motels on 40 that are pretty reasonable including LaQuinta, Steamboat Motel, Fairfield inn, downtown is Nordic lodge

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
What's one step up from a free couch? A Couch you pay a few bucks for?

ahh, well I would look on VRBO or Air B&B. we have a very "thrifty" motel downtown. https://western-lodge.com.

Western Lodge, popular with out of town contractors and such. Its located downtown just past 11th. free shuttle will take you to mountain

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
MOUNTAIN UPDATE
Hey all, I am doing my best to survey the mountain conditions. Its a sacrifice but its worth it :). Conditions are fantastic and everyone is saying they cant believe it's Just December. Here's a few for your stoke from yesterday. this is "Side Burns" which is just to skiers right of Storm Peak North (South) as you can see, its was plenty fresh and about boot deep. They are opening Sunshine today and I will get out there tomorrow. We still need a little more snow for me to have confidence in the trees but lots of folks are skiing them (although my friend who is a Instructor told me they lost 4 instructors so far to early season conditions).

these are not in black & white; it was pretty flat light.

fullsizeoutput_8ee.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8ed.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8ec.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8ec.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
last update for today, Looks like the resort has been making some really great improvements to the site to quickly access weather, snowfall and web cams

On the home page, just to the right, there's a new icon that shows the "Base" temperature. This really should be re-labeled as it will take you to the new weather, snow totals and mountain cam page.

Click on the Icon, it will take you to a summary for the BASE. (Please do not use the Base info for planning for dressing for the day! ) , to get to the mountain reports, click on the Blue Icon "Weather, trails and Maps". You can access the mountain cams from this page. A great shortcut!

If you click on the blue Icon, it will open up a "Base" "Mid MTN" or "Summit" tabs and this will provide a excellent array of snow and temp data. NOTE: to clear the report from the screen to view the Cams, click on the "OFF" icon to the right. To access other cams from this page, you have to click on the icon to the right that shows the "Thunderhead" cam. it will then open up the menu for other cams.
https://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/mountain-report#/lifts

Just a reminder, to view a live "Champagne Powder Cam" view, you have to click on the image. or click the "Live" button.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Howdy Steamboat fans. Mountain update, Its pretty much like skiing in February. Coverage is excellent however, we still need a bit more snow to really get things dialed in. Rope drops yesterday in Morningside, opening the lift served Ridge skiing and short boot hike to the fun stuff. As of this AM, Sunshine area is completely open.

3" fell after the close keeping things fresh.

Last edited:

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Was out today until an hour ago. Snowing like crazy up top, but got REALLY cold and windy quickly. Hope the wind dies a little for tomorrow.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
We were out as well. Although it was 16* it did feel colder with no sun and the wind.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Mountain Update. Last weeks storm dumped a legit boot-deep blanket of uber dry Champagne Powder. @Bruuuce and I made some seriously deep turns all day. The reported 11" was far under what truly fell. Temps have been really cold up to yesterday and the leftovers have skied beautifully.

Update for December 17: Conditions on the mountain are excellent! I skied yesterday AM on firm (for us) groomers and coverage is excellent; not one thin spot and no ice. I chatted with 2 guys from New York and they thought conditions were amazing.

Latest forecast for those coming in over Christmas is excellent! If you haven't already, please sign up at www.opensnow.com.

https://beta.opensnow.com/dailysnow/steamboat

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow, looks amazing. Let alone for December! Thanks for the updates @Ron. Helps those of us longing for some Steamboat turns to live vicariously!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Attn steamboat fans. Another couple of great storms are shaping up, We are in the Park Range the the Elks are adjacent to us,

.WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO
5 PM MST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches
are expected in the Yampa River Valley. The mountains are
expecting 4 to 8 inches with locally higher amounts in the
Elkhead and Park Ranges
as well as the Flat Tops. Winds gusting
as high as 35 mph.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Getting so tired of this redundant forecast...snow...more snow...more snow...ogwink

What a great start to the year this has been!

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor