• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Coming to Steamboat and looking for non-skiing options? We have some incredible Fat biking here, So if anyone wants to take a ride while you're here, just let me know. Bikes can be rented and you can ride on groomed trails right from downtown. No need to transport the bike

View attachment 57256

Good to see you back mountain biking. Bummer we didn't get to ride together this summer.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s the one!
I bought mine last year at Larson’s. They have an event coming up in 2 weeks. I hope they are available then.

@Blue Streak .............. gotcha ... sorry!

Noted too some specials .. REI had some last year and while not useful for most, Sitzmark in KC had a special when Billy Kidd visited for the "event" ... same 3 day open ended ticket.

I thought about visiting a friend that weekend simply to nab the offer. Sadly SB will likely be a skip this year due conflicts with family events .. maybe an early or I'm thinking late late season with hopes the spring will not be rainy.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the Boat finally got a new owner for the torn down Ski Times Square area? Will be interesting on what they plan. Seems this may align well to planned Pony Express side improvements ..

Crazy it's been 10 yrs ... I still remember the handful of shops and even having "discovered" the Thunderhead Lodge the year before they tore it down. Was so heartbroken as the price was great and location even better!

Bruuuce

Skier
So the Boat finally got a new owner for the torn down Ski Times Square area? Will be interesting on what they plan. Seems this may align well to planned Pony Express side improvements ..

Crazy it's been 10 yrs ... I still remember the handful of shops and even having "discovered" the Thunderhead Lodge the year before they tore it down. Was so heartbroken as the price was great and location even better!

Yes! This is something I'm pretty excited about (not sure everyone in town is, but that's a ski town). I think the valuations were finally at the point where it was a good value to buy yet at a reasonable price to sell. I'm looking forward to seeing their plans. I'm, of course, hoping for some resurrection of the Tugboat, but I think that's probably not going to happen. Dreams are good though, right?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Condos... :). I'll find the article but yes, more condos.

Although the Pony Area has approvals, there are no plans at this time for any improvements or expansions in that area. If I were a betting man (an I'm not), the first improvements will come to Bashor Bowl area including new beginner ski zone with a lift from the base, However, at this time , no decisions have been made. We look forward to continued improvements to the mountain and base area with the support of the new ownership.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I found this so far...

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/new-owners-new-hopes-for-development-in-ski-time-square/

...and from my friend Jon Wade who is a prominent Realtor in town

Big news in #SteamboatSprings The Thunderhead & STS parcels sold to a developer from DC. Its the best development site at the base by far & likely to stir things up a bit. Condos could be $1,200-1,800/sf. Expensive for Steamboat but cheap for some other Alterra ski areas

The next few months will be interesting to see with this and our first ski season with the #IkonPass

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
STORM ALERT FOR STEAMBOAT

Snow showers will develop over the extreme northern mountains of
Colorado this morning and continue into this evening. A Winter
Weather Advisory is in effect through 8 pm tonight for the Elkhead
and Park mountains, where 4-8 inches of snow is expected above
9000 feet. The heaviest snowfall will be from 3 pm to 6 pm.

Bruuuce

Skier
Opening day today! 2 lifts and "11" runs (really only a couple, but lots of connector names). They may have top to bottom open by Friday. A huge improvement over last year. Enjoy!

Bruuuce

Skier
OK, so everyone talks about the powder in Steamboat (and elsewhere), but I wanted to point out something I've noticed this year. I skied a groomer day yesterday after a powder day on Sunday and the conditions were better than I've seen here.

I'm not sure if the strategy changed, the investment increased or something else, but the groomers were in great shape. That was rarely true in the past. Powder days are great, but most days aren't so the improvement in this area really makes a difference, especially to the average skier.

Hats off to whoever made the changes. Alterra???

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I think its juat 2 feet pf fresh with cold temps , no freeze thaw cycle. But hats off to the snow makers and groomers

Bruuuce

Skier
I think its juat 2 feet pf fresh with cold temps , no freeze thaw cycle. But hats off to the snow makers and groomers

The patterns are actually different. No ridges, consistent patterns. The snow helps, but they are definitely doing something different.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
8" at the Summit! Nice surprise storm overnight with snow predicted over the next week.

last.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online