• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a little late for getting this going. Anyone planning on Skiing Steamboat this season? If so, I would be happy to meet-up for unofficial tours or just have a beer or hot chocolate. I enjoy meeting and skiing (and snowboarders are perfectly fine with me too) Pugskiers of all skiing abilities and showing off our awesome mountain. I am just as happy skiing on a green groomer as skiing some knee deep trees. (well, almost ogsmile)

Caveats, I am not an employee of Steamboat or Alterra I am not an instructor and take no liability whatsoever for you or family. I am not evaluating your skills or assessing your ability to ski any terrain or run. You are skiing at your own risk as this is not an official program nor a guided skiing program whatsoever, although I can recommend good beer. All I ask is If it's a powder day that you can ski powder to some degree, otherwise, I will gladly meet up and buy you a hot chocolate after my legs are toast.

Here's a shot from last season when we had a string of knee plus days. I enjoyed some uber deep turns with a number of Pugs. this was with @aveski

PLEASE VISIT MY UNOFFICIAL GUIDE FOR ALL THINGS STEAMBOAT.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/unofficial-guide-steamboat-springs-co.4758/

fullsizeoutput_23.jpeg

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Enjoyed skiing with Ron this past winter even though it was bitter cold that day. I have been skiing at Steamboat for a long time and he showed me some new stashes. Thanks!

Reactions: Ron

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Arriving 1/10. Leaving 1/18.

Will have small posse in tow all advanced skill level who like powder and trees.

Will gladly buy you a few beers post tour!

This will be my fisrt time skiing Steamboat. I mountain biked a bit there about 17 Augusts ago.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
nor a guided skiing program whatsoever, although I can recommend good beer.

yea!!!! I can meet for beer, complain it wasn't good and then expect you to pay!!! without your disclaimer ... :roflmao:\

However you left out town side attractions/eats .. I recall you recommended a whiskey house? maybe my poor recollection or mixing you up. I'd be happy to buy!

On serious note .. @Ron is a great host, great conversationalist, and knows the hill as well as everything Steamboat.

@Crank .... Ron too, planning to return same time frame. As of today family idea is same .. arriving 10th, ski 11th through 16th or 17th .. bug out for the MKL weekend.

We skipped the family trip first time in 15+ (by memory) years only as my kid got married on our usual travel dates but I got lucky with some buddies who on a Monday in April said .. lets hit Steamboat this Friday, skied 3 days .. very happy.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Ron will lead you to the goods in the best way possible. And then take photos of you to remind you how much better the tree skiing is with him than it is at your home mountain.

26903868_10101428697999580_6595986546714265128_n (1).jpg

Really tempted to pick up a 3-pack.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm, planning on skiing a day at the boat on my way up to Jackson pre Xmas. Only problem is it's likely to be only my second day of tha season so I'm highly unlikely to be ski and altitude fit and in such circumstances I don't enjoy skiing with others as the "holding them up" guilt outweighs any benefit.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@fatbob you won't slow me down unless it dumps :). I am still rehabbing a couple injuries so I seriously doubt I will be skiing at my peak.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So. A quick note on the holidays, President day, MLK and others. Last season these long weekend holidays turned out to be much less busy than the norm. although I cant guarantee it will be the same this season, with most folks buying the Ikon Pass with limited days, these holidays are blackouts and as such, we didnt really have huge lines and the typical insanity. It was busy but not crazy. The key on these days is to either buy a first tracks pass or get to the Gondi early, (at least 8am). A lot of folks just dont get going early and typically, I get until 10-11 before its too crowded.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Currently in discussions with friends about the 2nd week in December and the 1st week of March. The December date is more iffy as I don't expect snow conditions to be at the point of getting the most out of the mountain.

Either way, I'm definitely working on getting over to Steamboat this season.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the second week can be really good but unless the snow comes in fast and early, the terrain will be limited. no way I go into trees until we have about 70".

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so I'm highly unlikely to be ski and altitude fit and in such circumstances I don't enjoy skiing with others as the "holding them up" guilt outweighs any benefit.

one benefit of Steamboat is it's base is far lower than Summit Co ... so acclimation is much quicker.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last season these long weekend holidays turned out to be much less busy than the norm. although I cant guarantee it will be the same this season, with most folks buying the Ikon Pass with limited days

Interesting observation. I hadn't thought about the side benefit of base IKON or 3day special lifts on holiday crowding due to their blackout dates.

Our family used to ski the boat in Feb but moved to Jan when kids started to hit college. We started to bug out before MLK due to the crowds having experienced 2 yrs of heavy crowding. old RMSP+ hadn't a blackout for MLK, noted our IKON base does.

for those considering Jan/Feb, the Mid Winter 3 day lift is pretty decent at $199 (goes up Nov 22), I didn't note any blackout dates but it is only one per person:

https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-and-passes/mid-winter-3

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Ron, If there is decent snow in dec, I'll be skiing somewhere, could easily be the boat, as it has been quite a while since I have skied there. JohnL will likely be there as well. It would be great to have some guidance. Dates are dependent on snow, but be home by dec 22.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
that would be awesome. I have to go to Richmond Va for a wedding the 12-15th which means it will dump.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If folks don't mind, list of who's visiting the Boat and when, in case folks care to consider meeting up:

pete: Jan 10th - 17th
Crank: Jan 10th - 18th

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
pete: Jan 10th - 17th
Crank: Jan 10th - 18th
Bobby Jeremy: Jan 19th - 25th

Sponsor