• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
No, but drooled when I read Joel Gratz's Steamboat report this morning - hope we get some more for our visit there starting Thursday. Very glad you can enjoy it, Ron. Let us know how your day goes on the mountain - and if you think there is a chance that they'll spin Pony Express sometime soon.
Never mind that last request. Just saw that Steamboat opened the Pony Express lift today.

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Still in the office in NYC but will be in Denver tonight. Might spend the day at Copper Saturday then ski Steamboat from Sunday to Wed. Almost there!

Reactions: Ron

Skicheryl

Skiing with the truck camper every chance we get!
Skier
1C46217C-4D39-4062-9CB0-74345C3CBA77.jpeg ECD321BA-6B6F-4655-8D72-B6B3DC41B419.jpeg Thanks to Ron for meeting up today on the mountain. Didn’t expect all that fresh powder! Mike enjoyed it and after ignoring the bumps like you recommended I had fun skiing the powder too! Tomahawk was a treat gliding through the fresh snow.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It works the other way too.
I am going to pretend we have a foot of fresh today.
:daffy:

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My wife and I will be skiing Sunday. We would love to make a few turns with @Ron or any other folks skiing Steamboat before the Super Bowl

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
looked to be 3.5 reported. Lines look a bit rough this AM ... what's happening at the boat this weekend?

other cams make it look rather nice ...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
duh ... Superbowl!

Nice thing is Sunday, crowds clear out early for prebowl parties and if I recall correctly, 2pm on is pretty free sailing. Still plenty of time to prebowl unless staking out a table at a local watering hole. We've still been lucky getting a table pretty late ... 3:30?? can't really recall but did the SB weekend for years.

Wife and daugthers would hit Diva's for their superbowl special, Christy Sports picked it up after Diva's closed. Promote it as a women's Superbowl party with pre kickoff at 3:30, some snacks and such but they have a halftime total scores discount (eg: 14 to 14 yields a 28% discount) and then second half is winning score ...

Girls always would pick up something such as gloves or goggles with the discount and enjoy some basic snacks ...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone be skiing this weekend? @coskigirl and I will be up making some turns.

Looking forward to it. Also looking forward to (and somewhat scared of) my first attempt at skinning up. I suspect I won’t make it to the top of the gondola but something is better than nothing.

Reactions: Ron

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to it. Also looking forward to (and somewhat scared of) my first attempt at skinning up. I suspect I won’t make it to the top of the gondola but something is better than nothing.

You can do it! Skinning is just walking with skis on. Just keep moving one foot in front of the other and as long as you don’t go to steep or to fast you will get there eventually.
Have you even been in the mountains with a guide? Total tortoise and hare thing. they don’t hike/skin fast, but they just keep going at a steady pace, and pass the speeders at every turn.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can do it! Skinning is just walking with skis on. Just keep moving one foot in front of the other and as long as you don’t go to steep or to fast you will get there eventually.
Have you even been in the mountains with a guide? Total tortoise and hare thing. they don’t hike/skin fast, but they just keep going at a steady pace, and pass the speeders at every turn.

Unfortunately, the route up at Steamboat is fairly steep. There is another route up but it is really long. I haven't been with a guide and this is only my second time ever skinning. So much easier to get it together when you're sleeping 5 minutes from the mountain instead of a couple of hours.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, the route up at Steamboat is fairly steep. There is another route up but it is really long. I haven't been with a guide and this is only my second time ever skinning. So much easier to get it together when you're sleeping 5 minutes from the mountain instead of a couple of hours.

What I meant about guides, is that they always seem to move SO slowly, yet they get a lot done, by not doing anything extraneous or stopping to much.

Yeah, if you can’t pick your own route, it makes it harder to keep from blowing up, but still, pick a relaxed speed, then slow down another 15%, good luck!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! It will be slow but I'm doing it for both the exercise and just enjoying the peace of the early morning. After years of being the slow runner I've gotten over the ego blow of being the slow one.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron while you are gallivanting at the gathering, i am headed to the Boat. Any recommendations on a good instructor? Am thinking of taking a lesson while there. Thanks and have fun.