• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ll be going out with another family around Presidents’ Day: skiing 2/15-2/19. I imagine as a local you stay off the hill during the busiest days of the year @Ron, but maybe you wouldn’t mind going out on Friday 2/16 and showing me where to avoid the biggest crowds the following days?

I also try and do one or two lessons each year, and book them for busy days, to cut the lift lines and get local guidance to quiet corners.

Any suggestions for good instructors for middle aged parents, @Ron or @coskigirl ?

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'll be happy to show you around. I'll get back to you with a name for an instructor. What level are you? What did you want to work on?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think my wife and I are what the instructors at Winter Park called level 7, can ski the black diamond mogul runs but it’s not smooth or fast. Stay out of cliffs and chutes. Probably looking to focus on moguls or steeps for a lesson.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Made it out here .. had decent weather considering dry spell and need to stay above mist/rain during stay.

Sorry @Ron for not hooking up, this year a bit shorter stay and busy with kids and hitting the rounds. Should of pinged ya but we ping ponged kids and days skiing with each.

Today was great, last minute run up Sundown, traversed over to Storm Peak and over to Ridge and down to Meadow's area:

If one looks, can see Pony Express lift top in background:
20180111_163741.jpeg 20180111_164722.jpeg

BC Skiway entrance ... darn, we saw none:

20180111_170858.jpeg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love that sign. I used to feed the neighborhood moose when I lived in Alaska. They like apples and marshmallows.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron DH and I are looking at some snow chasing the 16th to the 21st. If we manage to motivate up there and the forecast doesn't fizzle, would love to say "hello" and perhaps ski a few runs...

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Ron DH and I are looking at some snow chasing the 16th to the 21st. If we manage to motivate up there and the forecast doesn't fizzle, would love to say "hello" and perhaps ski a few runs...

as in next week? Sounds great. There is a chance of snow tuesday and Wednesday with a substantial storm predicted for late in the week.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yep. Probably drive up Tuesday and stay through the weekend.Will PM once there.

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Hey @Ron my buddy and I will be in steamboat from the 26th until the 31st. I'd love to ski with you if you are free at all during that time!

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
I cant wait to get out there!

What do would you guys consider a good ski for the terrain at steamboat? I imagine (hope) I'll be skiing softer snow, more variable, ungroomed. I might be dumb enough to buy a ski just for this trip:daffy:!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn't get too excited just yet but initial and very early estimates are a total of maybe a foot over 2-3 days. For that, I would still ski something in the upper 80-s- mid 90's like my SR95.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Found of late Gratz (opensnow.com for Steamboat predictions) has been pretty accurate on predictions)

Aligns with what @Ron says: https://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/mountain-report/#/lifts with 6 to 12 Sat to Sun.

I'm comfy on Blues and soft Blacks .. girls and I tooled about from

• High noon right side bumps along side of Twilight entrance down to Two OClock, to DayBreak down to Sundown Lift back up. Lots of bumps I could practice on as I'm still trying to get comfy on them. Girls just made it look easy.
  • Repeat or hit Hot Cakes and up Morning side Lift
  • Down back to Morningside lift or
  • Ridge right into Skeeter and/or Big Meadow over to Bugs or Flying Z to
  • Watipi and then back down to Bar-ue or 4 Points or even Burgess Creek Lifts
This last trip two fun things witnessed. At the High Noon bumps just where the HighlineTraverse (from Storm Peak) is: Group of locals tool down, one spotting the traverse as gate keeper. On clear signal his buddy pops on down and does a nice front flip catching lip of the traverse. Haven't seen a front flip up close - guy pegged it, looked great

other was on Skeeter, similar with boarder not flipping but catching some really good air. He landed it well and turned out to loose a PBR from his pocket. Guy and buds were gone before we noted this ... so I got myself a fine reward.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Brothers and I will be at Steamboat Feb. 1 - 5. I'd love to finally meet some of the wonderful forum folks. I do buy beers and good whisky for useful mountain tips or even false compliments on my skiing! :beercheer:

Sponsor