• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. Ill list some up. Lquinta, steamboat lodge, rabbitt ears, Fairfield inn holiday inn nordic inn come to mind.
Thank you very much. I find that is the hardest thing to nail down for an extended trip. On a similar note, I was thinking of driving out from Chicago. How is the parking in and around Steamboat? I would likely take a shuttle if available but don't want to rack up any tickets.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you very much. I find that is the hardest thing to nail down for an extended trip. On a similar note, I was thinking of driving out from Chicago. How is the parking in and around Steamboat? I would likely take a shuttle if available but don't want to rack up any tickets.

depends when you are coming. As long as you aren't coming over a major holiday parking in general is fine. However, if you stay downtown you can walk to everything and if you stay at certain hotels or condo's there are shuttles to/from downtown. The town also has a great free bus system too. the distance from the mountain base area to downtown is only a few miles. if you stay downtown and the stars align, I can pick you up on the way :).

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
depends when you are coming. As long as you aren't coming over a major holiday parking in general is fine. However, if you stay downtown you can walk to everything and if you stay at certain hotels or condo's there are shuttles to/from downtown. The town also has a great free bus system too. the distance from the mountain base area to downtown is only a few miles. if you stay downtown and the stars align, I can pick you up on the way :).
Hmmm. This is sounding too good to be true. I was thinking end of January, is that a good time snow wise?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
if I could predict the snow quality and snowfall accurately the world would be a much better place. :daffy:

that said, it seems like snowfall ticks up the end of January beginning of Feb. That said (again), I am pretty comfortable in saying it won't be 70 and sunny. :).

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's about all the prognostication I need!

Reactions: Ron

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's about all the prognostication I need!

been hitting boat last 15 + years early feb then moving to mid Jan but have watched weather for every trip.

Jan has been pretty decent and seems from recollection that later jan is when the snow starts up, but then like noted it's simply whatever it'll be. I recalll both dry periods and very nice powder week and even once that temps were a high of 5F, even if only one day.

Regardless, I've always had fun even if there were a lack of fresh snow.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, in case any of you live in or around Kansas City .. and wishing to hit the Boat. hoping to ok to post:

Come to Sitzmark Travel and Sitzmark Sports and meet Steamboat Resort‘s own Billy Kidd Steamboat’s Director of Skiing and 1964 Alpine Silver Medalist. He will be signing autographs from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm.

Along with Billy, Steamboat Resort will have discounts for the new flight service from KCI to Hayden/Steamboat Save up to 40% on a round trip fare from KCI to Hayden.

New Nonstop – Kansas City to Steamboat

40% off available fare on flyviaair.com
Booking period from 10/29 – 11/6
Travel period 12/13 – 4/1 (entire season)

Oh, and don’t forget Sitzmark Travel will have a deep discounts on all Steamboat lift passes. $60 per day lift passes when purchasing a 3 day or more lift pass. (in store promotion only) Kids Ski Free with purchase of a Parent 5 day or more day lift. (one pass per parent). Steamboat non-promotional lift pricing can be found at our Steamboat Lift Ticket Page. ($60 promotion blacked out 12/23/2017-1/3/2018)

Sitzmark Sports will also be kicking off their Coats for KC Drive. Visit www.facebook.com/SitzmarkSports or www.sitzmarksports.com for more detailed information to come.

Event Info:
Steamboat Rendezvous at Sitzmark Sports

Sunday, October 29th 12:00 pm-5:00 pm
10500 Marty St
Overland Park, KS

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I've mentioned, my mom will be moving away from Steamboat. :( However, they are currently thinking they'll list their condo, at least temporarily, on AirBnB beginning in mid-December. It's a 3 bedroom/3 bath plus loft but only 2 king size beds and a pull out sofa for sleeping. They may have an air mattress, can't remember. It is walking distance from the mountain and has a free bus stop right outside. Access to a hot tub as well. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can provide details as they get it set up and ready.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I've mentioned, my mom will be moving away from Steamboat. :( However, they are currently thinking they'll list their condo, at least temporarily, on AirBnB beginning in mid-December. It's a 3 bedroom/3 bath plus loft but only 2 king size beds and a pull out sofa for sleeping. They may have an air mattress, can't remember. It is walking distance from the mountain and has a free bus stop right outside. Access to a hot tub as well. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can provide details as they get it set up and ready.

Do you come with it! could always use another tour guide as Ron only has so much time! ogsmile ... Spouse may like you better in making it a girls day on the hill!

hum, I think I'll PM as my slopeside provider may have a Jan Trip planned - aka, their unit in use.

Side note, other deals may be out there but I noted Sitzmark in KC has some Steamboat lift specials going on.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@coskigirl is def more fun than I am and she knows the Mountain pretty well too! Pete and family are good people and a lot of fun.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hahahaha! I'm not sure I'm more fun than @Ron but whatever. I'm happy to show around if I'm there although if the condo is rented I may be out of luck or looking for other accommodation.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh heck @coskigirl, depending on timing, if all family is not out, you can snag a couch! even plan with @Ron and we can set up a pugski mini meet up with others lodging in ...

now that'd be fun. We might not end up liking one another and if that's the case, we'll just talk skiing! Of course, personally spouse and I would could find added conversation if it's in wine tasting ...

Steamboat is just too much fun not to find something fun to converse about!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'll be in Fraser CO , going primarily to Winter Park, but would really like at least one day at Steamboat. I fondly remember going there several times in high school and college ('73-'79) and would really love to go back and ski "Shadows" ....

I'll be there Feb 24 - March 4

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
We'll be in town over Thanksgiving weekend, skiing for a few hours on Thursday, Friday and hopefully Saturday morning.

How's it looking for opening day, @Ron? I know it's been warm, but not as warm as last year, I hope. Last year they had one run open over the holiday weekend and it was pretty terrifying (and I have a high tolerance for WRODs in general).

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hey @RachelV I’ll be in NJ for Thanksgiving but I get home on Friday. If you ski Saturday, let me know. Right now it’s bony for sure. They got 5-6” last night.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The Olympic Pass (3 days $199) doesn't start this year until 1/22/18. I just got offered a free stay at a friend's condo on the mountain but we need to leave on the 20th to make our Whitefish dates. The lift price almost doubles without the Olympic pass. grrrr

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The Olympic Pass (3 days $199) doesn't start this year until 1/22/18. I just got offered a free stay at a friend's condo on the mountain but we need to leave on the 20th to make our Whitefish dates. The lift price almost doubles without the Olympic pass. grrrr
Can you use it on the way home?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I think Grand Targhee will be the place we will go after Whitefish. Didn't get to ski much of it last year with my tweaked knee and the 70 mph winds. But I was trying to engineer a Steamboat visit on the way up to Montana. Looks like I'll go back to my original plan to ski Loveland for free on the WMR pass. Cheaper to pay for lodging in Dillon CO than to pay for lift tickets in Steamboat.

Sponsor

Staff online