• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat issues their season plans

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thats why they said there's no reservation for now. They dont know. But I dont see the state issuing guidelines for their capacity and other factors. lodges/dining, more than likely they will follow the town guidelines and not the state. I dont see the state mandating how many skiers or how the lifts need to be setup etc to a larger extent. the town of steamboat has opted for more strict guidelines that other towns so that may have more of an effect the state. Steamboat is not Vail and not Abasin, on any given weekday, you can walk/ski right up and get on any lift. I can certainly see some form of reservation for Xmas, weekends and holidays though but I dont see the state setting the specifics. Steamboat has already said they may setup a time-based Queue so you know there's already something in the works.

Last edited:

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
We were going to be back at Steamboat this winter (from NZ)....this just made me sigh :(.

Seems like they have a good handle on how they will operate - hope you guys get a great winter :)

Reactions: Ron

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yesterday Steamboat added another pass, a 4 day, weekdays only, at a great price $299. Good all season with holiday exceptions. That will be good for the independent rentals and such.

Steamboat has now pulled this 4 day pass. The website says no tickets, besides a season pass, will be sold without a package. That really sucks!!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The cynic in me @Ron is that Alterra resorts aren't requiring reservations because they don't have the systems in place.

Like @tball , I would trust Vail's plans over Alterra.

Hope it all goes well though.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
you could be right! we just dont know. if you dont have one, or dont think it would be ready, isn't it better to say you wont have reservations as opposed to saying you will require them but dont have a system? Fingers are still crossed for things to go smoothly for all resorts.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
you could be right! we just dont know. if you dont have one, or dont think it would be ready, isn't it better to say you wont have reservations as opposed to saying you will require them but dont have a system? Fingers are still crossed for things to go smoothly for all resorts.
They may be trying to get a rervation system in place. Pure speculation on my part though. I have no idea, just guessing.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
They may be trying to get a rervation system in place. Pure speculation on my part though. I have no idea, just guessing.

you and me! I agree that unless they have some other traffic management plan, the base area in the AM on busy days would be problematic. if you know Steamboat base area, there's just not a large open space for people to stand I line and have room for people to meander at the same time. Management knows this so they must have a plan. The Town has been strict when it comes to Covid Protocols.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

FWIW, I don't think Alterra is building a reservation from scratch. They are almost certainly adopting their existing pass infrastructure that integrates with their RFID scanners at resorts. It's all built on the skidata.com platform . They have a go-live date set of Nov 9th, so I don't think the other places are because the system isn't built for them yet -- it's that the local managers haven't decided to activate them.

I'd put good money on each resort having their own control over whether reservations are on/off, and the volume of reservations accepted.

I'm basing this in the fact that reservations will be handled on Alterra's website, not individual resorts. All are going live on the 9th. And every IT/analyst position posted for Alterra mentions skidata.com. I've also skied at other places on the platform that had things like demand-based pricing where you could buy exact days on your pass across multiple ski areas and it only works on those days.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'd put good money on each resort having their own control over whether reservations are on/off, and the volume of reservations accepted.

absolutely. theres no other way it would work.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I didnt ski until mid January but I will certainly be out there this season. Hope you and Ms are both well. have you been Mtn biking?

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I didnt ski until mid January but I will certainly be out there this season. Hope you and Ms are both well. have you been Mtn biking?

Glad to hear you are going to be back at the start. Not as much biking this summer as I'd hoped but enough to keep me from expanding. Just biked by your house last week to head up Blackmere.

Look forward to sharing some turns!

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow! thats a significant difference. Sorry to hear that.

It would appear that Steamboat and Ikon are like the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
FWIW, I don't think Alterra is building a reservation from scratch. They are almost certainly adopting their existing pass infrastructure that integrates with their RFID scanners at resorts. It's all built on the skidata.com platform . They have a go-live date set of Nov 9th, so I don't think the other places are because the system isn't built for them yet -- it's that the local managers haven't decided to activate them.

I'm basing this in the fact that reservations will be handled on Alterra's website, not individual resorts. All are going live on the 9th. And every IT/analyst position posted for Alterra mentions skidata.com. I've also skied at other places on the platform that had things like demand-based pricing where you could buy exact days on your pass across multiple ski areas and it only works on those days.
So perhaps Alterra will require reservations in early December once they have a few weeks to test your inferred November 9 go live date. As @Ron says, they would unlikely announce we'd like to have reservations, but don't have the systems in place yet. So instead right now it's no reservations required at this time. Again, all pure speculation but it seems obvious that without some sort of skier cap that they can enforce, there is high potential for significant issues.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
there's no one here prior to the week before XMAS. It will be pretty empty up until the 19th.

Sponsor

Staff online