• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steamboat getting new Gondi for 2019.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes they replaced some critical components but the Gondi is actually past due for its life span. there's one of the new cars at the base new the entrance showing what it will be like. its a bit larger and modern looking. we could use a new one. On the powder day, we had 8 guys in the car, it was "snug". :).
Snug can be good depending on who you're with ....

Noted the new cars to my my daughter who was somewhat saddened from a nostalgia perspective. She wondered about the special 50yr anniversary cars having a few years back sought out to ride any such embellished gondi car or chair.

Always fun to try and time catching one, let folks pass you, etc at the Basher to ride a gold chair. Other kids doing this too, but what a prize to ride a gold chair!

Gotta snap a pic @Ron, my internet search for the new Gondi image failed!

on a more Steamboat events thought ...

Did note a fun item for folks interested the Boat and liking fireworks. The 2019 Winter Carnival (which is a pretty cool week event) on Sat Feb 9th will have the Night Extravaganza which features fireworks. Tim Borden a local hobbies in fireworks .. he's building and donating a 62 inch mortar round (and other fireworks) as part of the finally ... Guinness is attending as it a record size .

That's a diameter of a 158cm ski!!!

book early if planning early Feb

https://www.steamboatchamber.com/events/annual-events/steamboat-winter-carnival/schedule/

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:useless:

just saying ;)

anticipation is part of the fun though ... like Christmas presents under the tree!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Oh crap, I forgot to take the picture, i promise I will. I rode up the Gondi yesterday with the head of all lift operations and had a great conversation about the new Gondi. it will be taller and wider to more comfortably accommodate 8 adults, it is sleeker and heavier which will make it more stable in winds as well. They will be replacing all towers and bull wheel. The base terminal was already upgraded so that part is good to go.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
will be ready when the snow flies! I asked him how closely he's been following the Copper debacle.... he said "closely" :) I told him, if it was my decision, I would put a Steamboat employee at the plant overseeing the whole manufacturing and shipping process.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
always amaze me @Ron by your seemingly ever increasing insiderness.

yeah, read the SB Pilot story that day after closing this spring 2019 season they start the $15M change out.

Good idea on insider at factory. Lots of OEMs do this and given schedule risks .. Maybe Ron can visit Germany for some "work".

Of course, early season is typically slower so I guess if things hit the fan, there's a wee bit of time buffer with the Thunderhead.

Here's one of their 8 person monocables elsewhere including Jackson Hole .. Lutsen just got this one ... https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/references/8-mgd-gondola/

I noted big difference in the listed ones at Doppelmayr is that the higher capacities showed ~2200-2400 / hr ... Steamboat sounds to be setting a precedent at up to 3600 people/hr ... This really should help the MLK lines!

Sponsor

Staff online