• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Staying in Park City to Ski Solitude/Brighton?

Gryphoak

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
We have a week booked at Snowbird in Jan and will use that to explore Alta/Snowbird on our Ikon pass. The next week, we are at our timeshare in Park City. We normally have the Epic pass but this year will be spent doing Deer Valley there. The problem is my husband is a snowboarder who refuses to get back into skis again. He may come with me to DV one day but I think he will be bored the rest of the week if he can't go to Solitude/Brighton on the Ikon. We are there for Sundance so moving resorts is not an option. If we rent a car, is it pretty easy to commute daily to the other resorts? I see that the direct road is closed for winter so we have to drive the long way around. Otherwise, he may just pay the daily rate to ride Park City while we are there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you know this, but just in case... Neither Alta nor Deer Valley allow snowboarding.

So he'll have to decide if the cost at Park City is better than an hour each way to Brighton/Solitude.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
An hour drive each way minimum... weather may cause delays; regular traffic will add a few minutes on weekdays; skier traffic will add a few minutes on powder days. Sundance is a bit closer and Snowbasin around the same drivetime... both are smoother, less delay-prone routes, but would again require day tickets.

My advice to your husband would be to try Brighton and Solitude while the rest of the family is at Alta, and get a 5- or 6-day epic pass now and plan on using those days at Park City and Snowbasin.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I’ve done it, stay at Park City and ski at Alta.

A couple days would be ok. More days will become a real drag. But you can ski shorter days.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a week booked at Snowbird in Jan and will use that to explore Alta/Snowbird on our Ikon pass. The next week, we are at our timeshare in Park City. We normally have the Epic pass but this year will be spent doing Deer Valley there. The problem is my husband is a snowboarder who refuses to get back into skis again. He may come with me to DV one day but I think he will be bored the rest of the week if he can't go to Solitude/Brighton on the Ikon. We are there for Sundance so moving resorts is not an option. If we rent a car, is it pretty easy to commute daily to the other resorts? I see that the direct road is closed for winter so we have to drive the long way around. Otherwise, he may just pay the daily rate to ride Park City while we are there.
Travel over to BCC isn’t terrible but would watch the forecast and let it help decide.
If snow is lacking the BCC resorts usually get more snow than PCMR so the conditions should be better.
You could also say the travel is worthwhile even in a storm as the BCC resorts usually get more snow than PCMR so the conditions will be better.
Being an Alta season pass holder with access to a Ski Utah gold pass, (fully transferable pass to 15 resorts) I will use PowMow on days that LCC may open late but have no problem with the canyon closures since I know how to deal with them and I’m not on a ski trip spending $$
I don’t know anything about the Epic Pass but say have him plan on 1-2 days at PCMR and the rest split between BCC and PowMow

TS
Gryphoak

Gryphoak

Skier
You married a snowboarder????

:roflmao:

I actually married a skiier. Then 5yrs into marriage, he convinced me to start skiing. I loved it and stuck to it... at the same time he switched to snowboarding so he could progress with me, and never looked back!

TS
Gryphoak

Gryphoak

Skier
Ok, so 1hr each way sounds too long for several days at BCC from Park city, but maybe we can do 1 or 2. I know for Snowbird/Alta he can only do Snowbird while I can do Alta, but we will be close to both so that's ok. We have only done PCMR when we had epic pass so for him to only do 2 or 3 days there, is it cheaper to get day tickets or some kind of pass? He may be ok not snowboarding some days and just going to films at the festival while I'm at DV.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
is it cheaper to get day tickets or some kind of pass?

Day tickets at the resort (especially any Vail owned resort) is always the most expensive option. Assuming 3 days of riding, look for an Epic Day Pass for 3 days, or buy a Park City 3 day pass, whichever is cheaper. Do either as soon as your comfortable spending the money - the Epic Day Passes will get more expensive as we get to the holidays. And the Park City pass won't get any cheaper, and there are no discounts to be had at Vail owned resorts.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On more option, which I have used at Park City on a couple of occasions, is to purchase a day ticket the day before, prior to something like 8 PM, either online or over the phone. Definitely not as good as a 3 day Epic or Epic Local Pass, but something like 20% better than the walk-up price.

icedevil

Booting up
Skier
They were supposed to stop selling Epic passes (including the day passes) last night at midnight. Vail doesn’t seem to stick to their deadlines closely but if you want to buy a 3 day epic pass to use at PCMR I would do that ASAP. You can compare the advance purchase rate for your particular dates with the epic 3 day pass cost and I expect there will be a significant savings with the epic day pass. The eye-popping walk-up window rate is to be avoided at all costs at Vail resorts.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend who lives in Park City, has a Deer Valley pass, when she wanted to snowboard a few years back, it cost her $150 for a day pass at PCMR, it must be even more now!
And as far as the driving. The first time I drove from Solitude to Park City, it took 3 hours... The 55 minutes on google maps seem almost impossible to achieve during Sundance festival congestion driving.

Maybe you two can splurge for a Park City Snowcats day?

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend who lives in Park City, has a Deer Valley pass, when she wanted to snowboard a few years back, it cost her $150 for a day pass at PCMR, it must be even more now!

I'm sure it is... Vail is over $200 this year, and Breck isn't far behind.

I paid $140 at Breck a couple of years ago on closing weekend when only part of Peak 8 was open - so that was theoretically a heavily reduced rate, bought online a week before. That's the most I've ever paid.

Sponsor

Staff online