• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic State of Mid-Atlantic Ski Areas 2019-20

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting a new thread to prevent drift in the Timberline thread.

Lots of changes happening in our area. The former SnowTime Resorts (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) have been purchased by Peak Resorts. Next season is the first one where the change of ownership is apparent. In particular, prices are going up for season passes, but you get to ski all the Peak Resorts (including Hunter, Mt Snow, Wildcat, Attitash, Jack Frost/Big Boulder) But, currently no PA only pass. That has a lot of local skiers upset.

There have been hints of flexible pricing like that in Liftopia, but will that be sufficient?

My personal opinion, Peak Resorts has misjudged the local market. By a lot. We’ll see if they adjust.

Blue a Knob still not ready for prime-time, despite new ownership. They are finding out how much trouble they got themselves into. If Extrovert is only open 3-4 days a winter, then you are hurting.

Same for a Laurel a Mtn. Need a bit more snow making to be truly viable.

Timberline? Who knows. Need a Hail Mary where the current owners sell for a realistic price given the current state of the infrastructure. Charlie Brown meet Lucy and football...

Canaan Valley? They don’t have to out run the bear, only their gimpy friend. Who is Timberline. Nuff said.

Elk is still a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Lots of stickers around though.

Big player is now Snowshoe, especially with the Ikon Pass.

What about Seven Springs and Wisp? Seemed to have stabilized a bit in the past year.

Will Massanuttin and Bryce and Wintergreen get more traffic because of new Peaks passes?

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lots of changes happening in our area. The former SnowTime Resorts (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) have been purchased by Peak Resorts. Next season is the first one where the change of ownership is apparent. In particular, prices are going up for season passes, but you get to ski all the Peak Resorts (including Hunter, Mt Snow, Wildcat, Attitash, Jack Frost/Big Boulder) But, currently no PA only pass. That has a lot of local skiers upset.

Never mind - seems like this thread has the issue covered: https://www.pugski.com/threads/peak-pass-price-increase.14653/

This seemed like a good (but overly long) summary of the pass changes:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1579

Adding in resorts that are at some distance does't really seem to provide added value to local skiers that would justify the expense. But, hey, it's business. They're entitled to make mistakes and pay the price for it.

My guess is they adjust pricing preseason when pass sales don't meet expectations.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it’s ironic that Peak hopes to encourage Mid Atlantic skiers to travel north and for many that I talk to it may send send us south. Many that I’ve talked to have mentioned skiing more at Massanutten, Bryce, Wintergreen, CV and Snowshoe to a lesser extent.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Starting a new thread to prevent drift in the Timberline thread.

There have been hints of flexible pricing like that in Liftopia, but will that be sufficient?

My personal opinion, Peak Resorts has misjudged the local market. By a lot. We’ll see if they adjust.

Blue a Knob still not ready for prime-time, despite new ownership. They are finding out how much trouble they got themselves into. If Extrovert is only open 3-4 days a winter, then you are hurting.

Same for a Laurel a Mtn. Need a bit more snow making to be truly viable.

Timberline? Who knows. Need a Hail Mary where the current owners sell for a realistic price given the current state of the infrastructure. Charlie Brown meet Lucy and football...

Canaan Valley? They don’t have to out run the bear, only their gimpy friend. Who is Timberline. Nuff said.

Elk is still a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Lots of stickers around though.

Big player is now Snowshoe, especially with the Ikon Pass.

What about Seven Springs and Wisp? Seemed to have stabilized a bit in the past year.

Will Massanuttin and Bryce and Wintergreen get more traffic because of new Peaks passes?

Not surprised people are upset that they will have to pay more. But like you point out, it is not an accurate statement to say that they have to "pay more". They are also getting more. Perhaps "different" seems like a more fair/accurate assessment of the change.

Unlike Vail Resorts or Alterra, Peak Resorts has actually left prices flat across all its passes. But, nothing ever pleases everyone. You could lower prices to $10 and someone would be upset!

Btw, as a take-away from reading your post, it seems like the best place to ski in the area is SnowTime (all three have great facilities) given the issues the other resorts have.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not surprised people are upset that they will have to pay more. But like you point out, it is not an accurate statement to say that they have to "pay more". They are also getting more. Different seems like a more fair/accurate assessment.

No point in debating the specifics, but I bet most folks that will have to pay more for “getting more” (ie resorts they never want to or plan to ski) dont really look it as “getting more”.

TS
JohnL

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never mind - seems like this thread has the issue covered: https://www.pugski.com/threads/peak-pass-price-increase.14653/

This seemed like a good (but overly long) summary of the pass changes:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1579

Adding in resorts that are at some distance does't really seem to provide added value to local skiers that would justify the expense. But, hey, it's business. They're entitled to make mistakes and pay the price for it.

My guess is they adjust pricing preseason when pass sales don't meet expectations.

I just tossed out Peaks Pass as one issue. Frankly, I’m personally more concerned with Blue Knob, Laurel, and CVR.

I’ll ski the old SnowTime resorts a few times at most a season.

Curious what people think about what’s happening with Seven Springs and Wisp.

Local market is changing a lot, and Peaks Pass is only part of it.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
No point in debating the specifics, but I bet most folks that will have to pay more for “getting more” (ie resorts they never want to or plan to ski) dont really look it as “getting more”.

A lot of SnowTime legacy pass holders are buying the Peak Pass, so there are plenty of people who see the value. It is the main reason why Peak Pass sales are up 18% on a unit basis and 20% on a revenue basis.

Interesting that you say "most folks that will have to pay more for “getting more” (ie resorts they never want to or plan to ski)" since the visitor data I have seen for Hunter, Mount Snow and others clearly indicates that is not the case.

I agree with you that if one ignores the facts then there is indeed no point in discussing. And boy does there seem to be A LOT of ignoring of the facts going on across many of the threads. Confusing opinion with fact is common place here.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Curious what people think about what’s happening with Seven Springs and Wisp.

Local market is changing a lot, and Peaks Pass is only part of it.

We know the 7S/HV/Laurel pass is going to be $620 aka cheaper than PEAK; If you drive I'll chip in for gas :)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of SnowTime legacy pass holders are buying the Peak Pass, so there are plenty of people who see the value..

Please show me the hard evidence of this because if it’s fact it’s not anyone I know or have talked to,

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We know the 7S/HV/Laurel pass is going to be $620 aka cheaper than PEAK; If you drive I'll chip in for gas :)

$620 is the cost of the Higlands pass vs. $629 for the Peak pass (or $399 for 18 to 29 year olds).

TS
JohnL

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For DC local skiing, both passes are over-priced. And to be clear, those are rates if you buy this spring.

For those who venture from DC, Ikon Pass eats the Peaks Pass lunch. Most local skiers I know have Ikon + maybe some local pass/discount card. No way I pay $620 for a local pass plus Ikon pass.

@LKLA , have you ever skied Whitetail, Liberty or Roundtop?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
For DC local skiing, both passes are over-priced. And to be clear, those are rates if you buy this spring.

For those who venture from DC, Ikon Pass eats the Peaks Pass lunch. Most local skiers I know have Ikon + maybe some local pass/discount card. No way I pay $620 for a local pass plus Ikon pass.

@LKLA , have you ever skied Whitetail, Liberty or Roundtop?

I have been to all three.

Ikon pass is $949 so I hope it does eat the peak pass for lunch since it’s over $300 more expensive.

The Ikon base pass is $649 but limits you to five days each at Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush and the two resorts in Maine. Not sure how that is a better, or cheaper, deal. Certainly not for folks driving from DC area since as the two Maine resorts are basically a driving odyssey. I guess you could drive 4-5 hours over to Snowshoe and add another resort and get 20 days.

Either way, buy whichever pass makes you happy. Life is too short to be investing so much time on a ski pass. Just make sure you enjoy it.

TS
JohnL

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been to all three.

Ikon pass is $949 so I hope it does eat the peak pass for lunch since it’s over $300 more expensive.

The Ikon base pass is $649 but limits you to five days each at Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush and the two resorts in Maine. Not sure how that is a better, or cheaper, deal. Certainly not for folks driving from DC area since it limits you to 15 days total as the two Maine resorts are basically a driving odyssey. I guess you could drive 4-5 hours over to Snowshoe and add another resort and get 20 days.

There are airports in DC. That’s what most Ikon pass holders use, plus some Snowshoe. And base pass is by far the preferred way to go for DC.

VT, NH, NY are total slogs from DC. Very few people I know do that drive more than 1-2 times a year. Much easier and often cheaper to fly to skiing.

You do realize that DC is 4-5 hours south of NYC?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are airports in DC. That’s what most Ikon pass holders use, plus some Snowshoe. And base pass is by far the preferred way to go for DC.

VT, NH, NY are total slogs from DC. Very few people I know do that drive more than 1-2 times a year. Much easier and often cheaper to fly to skiing.

You do realize that DC is 4-5 hours south of NYC?

I was not aware DC had an airport. Hope we get one of those here in NYC soon.ogsmile

Those DC area IKON pass holders must be doing very well for themselves flying off every time they go skiing. Or maybe they are all single and don’t have to pay for four or five people to travel around. Wonder why all the complaining regarding the cost of the Peak Pass. Seems like it would be chump change in the grand scheme of things.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The simple fact is very few folks from the DC area are driving to NY or VT to ski. That’s why the Whitetail, Liberty & Roundtop crowd isn’t interested in the Peak pass, as is. It’s not about the money. as DC skiers ate affluent as a whole. It’s about paying added cost for something they didn’t ask for and never intend to use.

TS
JohnL

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or they have an aversion to hopping in a car for a 8-9 hour drive. With kids. Or with anyone.

Not many people I know regularly drive 8-9 hours for skiing. And I don’t know of any casual skier that would do that.

Especially when they used to be able to ski for hundreds of dollars cheaper and drive spur of the moment when it works for the family. And with only a 1.15 to 1.3 hour drive.

Sponsor

Staff online