• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic State of Mid-Atlantic Ski Areas 2019-20

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The simple fact is very few folks from the DC area are driving to NY or VT to ski. That’s why the Whitetail, Liberty & Roundtop crowd isn’t interested in the Peak pass, as is. It’s not about the money. as DC skiers ate affluent as a whole. It’s about paying added cost for something they didn’t ask for and never intend to use.

With all due respect that is an opinion, not a fact. I say this because the fact is that visitor data at Peak mountains shows that so far this season a large % of snowtime legacy pass holders have converted to a peak pass.

So while you may very well be right that a lot of folks in DC don’t drive to NY or VT or NH, there still seem to be plenty of people interested in buying a peak pass of one kind or another.

In the end, not everyone is going to agree or be happy, be it with Peak buying Snowtime or with Vail buying Okemo or with Alterra buying DV. People on Pugski seem to constantly rage against Alterra and Vail or Peak yet they well likely sell over 1.5 million passes, an outstanding number.

Hopefully the DC area mountains leverage this situation and gain skiers if people look for cheaper alternatives. I am sure there are plenty of great ski options in the DC area. People should take this opportunity to explore those other options. That is one thing most of us are lucky to have - options.

Last edited:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Canaan Valley has some new developments for the upcoming season. Longish video if it embeds. Skiing news starts 1:45 in.
Cliff notes:
Bought 9 used Polecats at the Timberline GOB Sale to be installed on Ramble.
Bought 9 new SMI T40 snowguns.
New water lines being installed and pumps being upgraded.
They are adding parking places and you will be able to buy lift tickets at the Hotel and at the base of the B Lift.
The biggest news is they are increasing their water supply.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, he was vague about where the additional water was coming from but he said they'll have an extra 5 million gallons per day to use. I hope so because they had way more snow making equipment than they had water last year. I hear long range plan is to build a reservoir at the top of Back Hollow Road.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Starting a new thread to prevent drift in the Timberline thread

Elk is still a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Lots of stickers around though.

Can't agree that Elk belongs in the "Mid-Atlantic" grouping as it is well north and east of all other mountains. It's even arguable that Elk is not a "Pocono" resort, but, is usually included the Pocono discussions.. It is not a "mystery or an enigma" to those in the Philly area, just a traditional ski area having the best terrain, and maybe snow, in eastern Pa. What is a mystery to most S/E Pa. skiers are the areas are most all of the other areas discussed in this thread.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't agree that Elk belongs in the "Mid-Atlantic" grouping as it is well north and east of all other mountains. It's even arguable that Elk is not a "Pocono" resort, but, is usually included the Pocono discussions.. It is not a "mystery or an enigma" to those in the Philly area, just a traditional ski area having the best terrain, and maybe snow, in eastern Pa. What is a mystery to most S/E Pa. skiers are the areas are most all of the other areas discussed in this thread.
Agreed. When we started to drive further than the Poconos and Elk, why would we drive south or even stop in NY. We just proceeded to NE. I have skied Seven Springs when visiting our daughter in Pittsburgh, and can see doing so again. Would like to try Laurel in a good snow year.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't agree that Elk belongs in the "Mid-Atlantic" grouping as it is well north and east of all other mountains...

Many definitions of Mid-Atlantic, including this forums tags, would easily include Elk, as they also include all of New York.

Per Wikipedia :
The Mid-Atlantic, comprising the Middle Atlantic states or the Mid-Atlantic states, is a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South Atlantic States. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region usually includes New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Many definitions of Mid-Atlantic, including this forums tags, would easily include Elk, as they also include all of New York.

Per Wikipedia :
The Mid-Atlantic, comprising the Middle Atlantic states or the Mid-Atlantic states, is a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South Atlantic States. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region usually includes New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia.

I agree that Mid-Atlantic grouping of states is per the above definition, although I would argue Va is in the South Atlantic. We had 4 years of hell between North and South. No offense to @jimmy , but, I would not have placed W Va in that group, it's in the "Almost Heaven" grouping. However, with respect to ski area groupings, last season the Pugski forums had a mid-Atlantic thread, a Pocono skiing thread and a Hunter area thread. Very little cross-posting as the SE Pa / Philly region and the NJ region ski the Pocono's. NY skiing (Huntah, Bellayre et al) are grouped as the Catskills.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that Mid-Atlantic grouping of states is per the above definition, although I would argue Va is in the South Atlantic. We had 4 years of hell between North and South. No offense to @jimmy , but, I would not have placed W Va in that group, it's in the "Almost Heaven" grouping. However, with respect to ski area groupings, last season the Pugski forums had a mid-Atlantic thread, a Pocono skiing thread and a Hunter area thread. Very little cross-posting as the SE Pa / Philly region and the NJ region ski the Pocono's. NY skiing (Huntah, Bellayre et al) are grouped as the Catskills.

Yeah, maybe we need new terms for Skiing regions...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Maybe we should have a Catskills thread, a Poconos thread, and an Alleghenys thread named after the mountain ranges the ski area are located.

I am now imagining the
Tuxedo Ridge/Mt. Peter guys complaining about being in the Catskills thread because they are properly Hudson Highlands;
Whitetail guys pissed off because they are really Blue Ridge and not Alleghenies;
Roundtop guys not wanting to be Blue Ridge bundled and wanting to stay in the Alleghenies proper
Adirondack guys saying eff off, they're in a different mountain range altogether and not part of the Appalachians and resent being oppressed by inclusivity.
Perfect North, Mad River and Snow Trails visitors all confused because they don't know what Plateaus count as?*
Massanutten: Hey, we're on our own stinking ridge, we don't need you Blue Ridge boys and we're standing our ground.
*Sure the Catskill guys are on the Allegheny Plateau but do they really have to associate with Ohio?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t know, some of these resorts have distinct parts. Liberty would need at least two forums, front and back side.

...and 1 for the Tavern there for sure! And of course 1 each for the Foggy Goggle at 7Springs and the Minuteman parking lot tailgating at RoundTop!

Sponsor

Staff online