• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stability at speed... what speed?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
almost everyone wears helmets (including me after measuring my speed)

Please be aware that your helmet is only tested up to 14 mph (about 23 kph). Whilst they have helped reduce head injuries from glancing blows from what I read they have done little to reduce serious head trauma injuries (concussion, skull fracture, death).

My view: wear one. Ski like you aren't.

On the stability at speed... using Ski Tracks I suspect you'll quickly see that the amount of time you spend at the higher end of your speed range is very limited. Probably no more than a few seconds per day. At the level of your skiing (as posted for MA in Ski School forum) you are probably better off staying with more compliant skis than switching to stiffer GS skis. With respect you are not currently working the skis hard enough to generate the kind of forces likely to cause issues.

I should add: if you want more stability for the current skis, use a more athletic stance/active balance as discussed in the MA.

Last edited:
TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
^^^ very true. Top speed is only achieved momentarily for me: confidence, crowds, merging trails rarely let me let it loose... sustained speeds are in the 30s... and no, I’m not working the skis as hard as I should

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I find bigger mountains with wide open bowls and faces invite high speed, and with speed, the need for crud busting stability.

I wonder where the Volkl Mantra and the Blizzard Bonefide sit on the scale of stability. In the longer lengths, I bet quite high.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Pugski gear reviews will often address the stability of skis at speed. @ScotsSkier will record over 80 mph on his Ski Tracks. He is the go to reviewer on race ski top ends as he can really test a ski's stability.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny that this topic comes up now. I was talking to a woman about this topic a week ago.
She was looking for a ski to replace her 10 year old skis and wants a ski that is more stable at speed. I was asking her some questions to find out how she skis and it turns out, she doesn't get off blue runs very often, yet, when she gets "going too fast" she wants the ski to be damp and stable.
I guess, as @KingGrump said early on,
Depends on the ski.
I'll add, it also depends on the skier.
What speed means to one person may not be speed to another person.

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
With respect you are not currently working the skis hard enough ....

This ^^^^ Thank you @geepers The phrase 'you are not currently working the skis hard enough' hit the right spot. And I worked my skis much harder on Saturday with, what felt like, significantly positive outcome. With so much terminology, sometimes a different way of saying something just clicks...

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
I didn't mean for this post to become equipment suggestion thread but I do appreciate all the suggestions - can't wait for the demo days in December!

35-45mph of sustained speed looks like a good data point for when 'fast' begins.