• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
What length would you all recommend for 5’11’’ (180cm) 160 lb terminal advanced intermediate 46 yo male?

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

thanks! That’s the number I had in my head. I wouldn’t consider going longer than 175... but what would be the shortest usable length? You know, to compensate for lack of skills, back seat, heal
pushing etc :) 165-167?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
thanks! That’s the number I had in my head. I wouldn’t consider going longer than 175... but what would be the shortest usable length? You know, to compensate for lack of skills, back seat, heal
I'm the same weight, but 168cm tall (-12cm shorter) and about the same skill level. I went 175. You'll be fine on 175 and glad you did when charging back to the lift line. As many have already said, it feels like a wider Laser AX, very friendly.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Consider that I am shorter, but slightly heavier and ski the 183/184cm (depending on the model year). 175cm is the short length for you. ;)

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Jeff,

I can't speak to double black diamond tree runs, bit I can tell you that they are plenty maneuverable. As far as a pow ski, they're not my first choice. They search for the bottom vs floating on top. 10" or less, they're fine. Anything more than that and I'm looking for something with significantly more float. As far as versatility for all mountain west, I think these are the best skis out there. I also use them when we get decent snow out east.

Bill

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Depends on your skills and the snow conditions. Keep in mind that the SR95 has very little tip rocker compared to most of its competition. Lots of tip rocker makes a ski turn very easily without requiring great skier skill, but requires trade-offs on overall performance across varied terrain and conditions. If you've got the skills, most skiers find the SR95 a very rewarding ski across the entire mountain.
Thanks man. That is what I was thinking but needed some insider commentary. I generally dislike squiggly pin-taily setups. I am thinking of the the old TST and S3 and even the Wailer. As an aside, when we get appreciable snowfall at our mountain it is typically dry and fluffy.

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Jeff,

I can't speak to double black diamond tree runs, bit I can tell you that they are plenty maneuverable. As far as a pow ski, they're not my first choice. They search for the bottom vs floating on top. 10" or less, they're fine. Anything more than that and I'm looking for something with significantly more float. As far as versatility for all mountain west, I think these are the best skis out there. I also use them when we get decent snow out east.

Bill
Thanks, that's helpful.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
I've been asked what the changes are between the 18/19 (tartan graphic) SR 95 and the new 19/20 SR95 are.

-The ski drops 85 grams(@175) per ski. Was 1845 now is 1760.

-The metal is slightly thinner by .2 mm and instead of using variable thickness, it is consistent in thickness tip to tail.

-The wood core is slightly thicker.

-Added a fiber sheet.

-Changed the nose shaping.

-Changed the tail shaping.

The new 95 is more maneuverable off piste than the previous iteration because the metal being thinned relieves some of the torsional rigidity in the tip and tail. This also lightened the ski. There is also slightly more rocker overall, about +2cm worth.

To add back in power, a fiber sheet was inserted for longitudinal strength.

To make sure the SR95 remain true to its carving heritage, the AX tail shaping was adopted with its aggressive rear corners that hook up once rolled over.

The flex point was adjusted in the front tip bringing it a little rearward and the new SR 95 rises much better in powder than any of the previous versions.

In short, the SR95 slightly decreased overall power on a race course for a huge gain in every other category.

Any chance you could speak to the Stormrider 95 vs. Enforcer line (93 or 100)? Is there ever a time that an individual would want the heavier “dampness” of the Enforcer vs. Stormrider? I’ve read a lot of reviews which talk about the Stormrider being “smooth and silky” but worried about their weight being on the lighter side compared to some of it’s peers. Hoping to find a pair to demo.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider that I am shorter, but slightly heavier and ski the 183/184cm (depending on the model year). 175cm is the short length for you. ;)

I take it then that at 183 cm/90 kg 184 are the ones for me, yes?

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there ever a time that an individual would want the heavier “dampness” of the Enforcer vs. Stormrider?
If would be when you are a poor and can't afford the Stockli.
The only other case is when it's early/late season and you use Enforcers as your throwaway rock skis so you don't ding up your Stormriders.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Thanks man. That is what I was thinking but needed some insider commentary. I generally dislike squiggly pin-taily setups. I am thinking of the the old TST and S3 and even the Wailer. As an aside, when we get appreciable snowfall at our mountain it is typically dry and fluffy.

Stockli SR95 is the anti-S3

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Any chance you could speak to the Stormrider 95 vs. Enforcer line (93 or 100)? Is there ever a time that an individual would want the heavier “dampness” of the Enforcer vs. Stormrider? I’ve read a lot of reviews which talk about the Stormrider being “smooth and silky” but worried about their weight being on the lighter side compared to some of it’s peers. Hoping to find a pair to demo.

i had the Enforcer 100, ski the SR95s. Never looked back. Although if those SR95s went away, I’d be back on the Enforcers.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Please share your reasoning for preferring the Enforcers.

i don’t - but back on Epic there was a huge thread on the Enforcers when they first came out. I bought an early release pair. I liked them, but only after I moved the binding back 1.5. Other skis I liked:

OG Nordica Enforcers
Nordica Girish
Kastle FX104
OG Blizzard Cochise

skis I didn’t like
Blizzard Rustler
Black Crows Anima
Blizzard Gunsmoke
Rossignol S3

Like I said, if my SR95s went away, id go back to the Enforcers. Or if I was on the budget. Do the Stocklis ski 50% better? No, but I forgot how much they were about 5 turns in. Rarely deals on them and I paid an obscene full freight number. In fact, I did it twice, as there is a new in the wrapper pair for next season upstairs.

I just like the damp, smooth, nice medium flex tips and fairly stiff underfoot of the Stockli. The build quality is fantastic. They carve well, they are super versatile offpiste. The bases are fairly durable - I’ve skied over stuff that should have left a mark and barely left a scratch.

They feel fairly light on the chairlift but don’t have any problem smashing crud. They are easy to turn in the bumps as long as you stay on top of them. Ive skied them on a fairly deep day last year at Snowbird (12”-14”) Actually had bought a pair of Rustler 11s, had them mounted at Backcounty, took one run
, hated them and was back on the SR95s.

and I like fondue.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys are evil!
Now I will lose my sleep thinking how to buy the Laser GS I need AND the SR 95 I want. Ah yes AND the MX for my wife.
Will have to sell a kidney probably. Or one of the kids.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You guys are evil!
Now I will lose my sleep thinking how to buy the Laser GS I need AND the SR 95 I want. Ah yes AND the MX for my wife.
Will have to sell a kidney probably. Or one of the kids.

You should always have more than one. And you can always get more. Kids that is. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online