• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
1. Never apologize for reviving a Stockli thread on PugSki; the only place with more Stockli fangirls'n'boys is Switzerland.
2. Get the AX and ski it until you're comfortable in 3~5 inches of off-piste snow; then demo the SR95.

erickucla

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Which Rossi 88 did you demo? this pat year's or the previous generation, they are vastly different. If you can gat both the AX and SR95, that is ideal and will cover your for 95+% of your skiing here in Tahoe. The 88 is a very good ski and will cover your for 70%, you will still lose the 5% for deep snow that the 95 is also missing but not be as good as the AX when we have't had snow for a few weeks...something that is not uncommon for Tahoe.
I tested the old one. Ie not the black honeycombdesign

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
@erikucla

Both the AX and 95 will be easier to control your turns than the 88 which is more for med-longer radius
For the 95, and considering your description of your skiing, I would avoid the 13/14 14/15 and the 17/18 18/19 version of the 95 as it may be more demanding than what would facilitate you the best. The newest 95 is very accessible in comparison while almost as performant as the above years I listed. It is also lighter as well as better in powder than any of the previous versions due to a change in the flex point.

The AX will get you to an entirely different level in your skiing. Best of luck.

erickucla

Skier
@erikucla

Both the AX and 95 will be easier to control your turns than the 88 which is more for med-longer radius
For the 95, and considering your description of your skiing, I would avoid the 13/14 14/15 and the 17/18 18/19 version of the 95 as it may be more demanding than what would facilitate you the best. The newest 95 is very accessible in comparison while almost as performant as the above years I listed. It is also lighter as well as better in powder than any of the previous versions due to a change in the flex point.

The AX will get you to an entirely different level in your skiing. Best of luck.

Thx. I’m going to start with the ax then

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@LindseyB

I own this ski: (SR100 Motion)
87CE0DD7-C74B-4AFC-B492-5F6C8D8AEBD8.jpeg

Why was the wider Motion discontinued when the narrower 85 is still in production? (Love my SR100 Motion, BTW, don’t feel a need to try a new pair of SR95’s).

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
@LindseyB

View attachment 82932
Why was the wider Motion discontinued when the narrower 85 is still in production? (Love my SR100 Motion, BTW, don’t feel a need to try a new pair of SR95’s).

Yes, that's a great ski. We received a ton of complaints that the SR100Motion was ended. The SR85 was a top seller while the Motion 100 sold very little, but that was 3 and 4 years ago and the sales in North America have drastically increased so we are confident the future holds good things for more Motion specific Stormriders. While demand is up everywhere, it is especially up with women. It seems woman have an even greater appreciation for a smooth and stable ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@LindseyB

View attachment 82932
Yes, that's a great ski. We received a ton of complaints that the SR100Motion was ended. The SR85 was a top seller while the Motion 100 sold very little, but that was 3 and 4 years ago and the sales in North America have drastically increased so we are confident the future holds good things for more Motion specific Stormriders. While demand is up everywhere, it is especially up with women. It seems woman have an even greater appreciation for a smooth and stable ski.

Interesting! It seems like the SR95 love has really ramped up on Pugski the past few years; that might trigger women’s interest in a similar SR Motion. And, while I am not usually a fan of “girly” graphics, the ones on my SR100 are really stunning and unique. And, it doesn’t feel wide when skied on groomers though that’s not what I purchased it for.

Thank you for your response!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What's important to understand when it comes to the SR 95, is that each generation is its own ski. They all have the same name, but they really have their own strengths and characteristics. I have the 2015 "Green Lettering Monster" and the 2017 "Carbon Tip Creature". These are 2 quite different skis, but I like that and use them for different conditions and terrain. The monster has more of a harder snow bias while the creature loves the soft stuff and is a more nimble tool for the snow.

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the Green and Black version. Love them and ski them in all conditions. My favorite aspect of this ski is that I can ski it lazily and it's easy or I can drive them hard and they completely rip going way faster than I should be.

I demoed last years ski for a few runs and was happy to get back on my own. Perhaps it is just what I'm used to or if I'm particular to my tune, but I wasn't in love with the new version. I actually preferred the M5 I skied that day. Some skis take time to adjust. The SR95 I have was money from the first run. I'm hoping they last many more years.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I've been asked what the changes are between the 18/19 (tartan graphic) SR 95 and the new 19/20 SR95 are.

-The ski drops 85 grams(@175) per ski. Was 1845 now is 1760.

-The metal is slightly thinner by .2 mm and instead of using variable thickness, it is consistent in thickness tip to tail.

-The wood core is slightly thicker.

-Added a fiber sheet.

-Changed the nose shaping.

-Changed the tail shaping.

The new 95 is more maneuverable off piste than the previous iteration because the metal being thinned relieves some of the torsional rigidity in the tip and tail. This also lightened the ski. There is also slightly more rocker overall, about +2cm worth.

To add back in power, a fiber sheet was inserted for longitudinal strength.

To make sure the SR95 remain true to its carving heritage, the AX tail shaping was adopted with its aggressive rear corners that hook up once rolled over.

The flex point was adjusted in the front tip bringing it a little rearward and the new SR 95 rises much better in powder than any of the previous versions.

In short, the SR95 slightly decreased overall power on a race course for a huge gain in every other category.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, could you be a little more specific ??? ;)

Thanks for the great detailed comparison :thumb:.
We really appreciate the sharing of your uber-knowledge of all things Stockli , I'll drink to that ! :coffee:

HalB

Booting up
Skier
I've been asked what the changes are between the 18/19 (tartan graphic) SR 95 and the new 19/20 SR95 are.

-The metal is slightly thinner by .2 mm and instead of using variable thickness, it is consistent in thickness tip to tail.

-Added a fiber sheet.

The new 95 is more maneuverable off piste than the previous iteration because the metal being thinned relieves some of the torsional rigidity in the tip and tail. This also lightened the ski. There is also slightly more rocker overall, about +2cm worth.

To make sure the SR95 remain true to its carving heritage, the AX tail shaping was adopted with its aggressive rear corners that hook up once rolled over.

The flex point was adjusted in the front tip bringing it a little rearward and the new SR 95 rises much better in powder than any of the previous versions.

In short, the SR95 slightly decreased overall power on a race course for a huge gain in every other category.

Great Explanation ! ! ! !

I had the 16/17 model and have the 17/18 version. I demoed the 19/20 model in the spring and was blown away by the way it skied. I have a pair of them waiting for me to ski. There is definitelya differnce that can be felt between the three versions. All Stockli feel, but all different.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier

-Added a fiber sheet.

I had this post in the 2019 Stockli review thread but it fits better here. Thanks for any input.

So--for a lightweight, if one was not sure on the 175 vs 84 lengths of last years (2019) SR 95 then this years model in the 184 would be easier to maneuver in tight spaces while still holding up at speed. I am 5'8" and about 132 lbs. Yes, i'm a lightweight but I still like longer skis for stability and my usual out West ski is the Fischer Motiv 95 Ti in 180cm and works well for me. I was on the fence on the 175 vs 184 of last years SR 95. I demoed both lengths last year in CO. The first was the 175 at Breck on some groomers with the family and then up higher in 4-6 inches of new snow/crud. Carved great even though it didn't really have a good tune. 3 weeks later I demo'ed the 184 back at Breck just at the start of the monster dump at then end of Feb. In open terrain I was great blasting through crud and soft moguls and floated well in 6-10". I like to ski tight trees when I can so was unsure if the 184 would be too much to throw around.
Thanks for the input

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
....In short, the SR95 slightly decreased overall power on a race course for a huge gain in every other category.

Nice post. I demoed that 19/20 SR95 last season and definitely preferred my 18/19 version; however, I was only on a scratchy groomer during SIA and didn't take it off piste. This makes a lot of sense.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had this post in the 2019 Stockli review thread but it fits better here. Thanks for any input.

So--for a lightweight, if one was not sure on the 175 vs 84 lengths of last years (2019) SR 95 then this years model in the 184 would be easier to maneuver in tight spaces while still holding up at speed. I am 5'8" and about 132 lbs. Yes, i'm a lightweight but I still like longer skis for stability and my usual out West ski is the Fischer Motiv 95 Ti in 180cm and works well for me. I was on the fence on the 175 vs 184 of last years SR 95. I demoed both lengths last year in CO. The first was the 175 at Breck on some groomers with the family and then up higher in 4-6 inches of new snow/crud. Carved great even though it didn't really have a good tune. 3 weeks later I demo'ed the 184 back at Breck just at the start of the monster dump at then end of Feb. In open terrain I was great blasting through crud and soft moguls and floated well in 6-10". I like to ski tight trees when I can so was unsure if the 184 would be too much to throw around.
Thanks for the input

I also came from the 180 Motive 95; I am only a smidge bigger than you, and one reason I switched was because I wanted something a little bit smaller than the Motive (which I still think is a spectacular ski, especially at its price point) for tight trees and bumps but that could still perform at least as well overall. I definitely love mine to death, could have gone to 178ish but the 175 is fine up until really deep snow (I have a bigger ski for that anyhow). I never skied the 184 so I can't really help your question, but I think you're on the right track as far as the ski.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
I also came from the 180 Motive 95; I am only a smidge bigger than you, and one reason I switched was because I wanted something a little bit smaller than the Motive (which I still think is a spectacular ski, especially at its price point) for tight trees and bumps but that could still perform at least as well overall. I definitely love mine to death, could have gone to 178ish but the 175 is fine up until really deep snow (I have a bigger ski for that anyhow). I never skied the 184 so I can't really help your question, but I think you're on the right track as far as the ski.

Yeah, I sat on my hands last year and missed out buying the 2019's. I'll probably be in CO in Feb so will try to demo the new ones then.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Nice post. I demoed that 19/20 SR95 last season and definitely preferred my 18/19 version; however, I was only on a scratchy groomer during SIA and didn't take it off piste. This makes a lot of sense.

Hi Seg and Stockli enthusiasts; quick thought on this... I owned the 18/19 SR 95, and was worried about the new tail, but i now have 2 days on the new one, 1 in crusty bumps on KT, great windblown layer high, ugly rain layer hard bumps down low... then today, 12 in of rained on pow that sat for a week.. and this ski is so dang good. I shouldn't have questioned the ski designers, it is more forgiving then the last one, but still has the same high end (at least the high end I can access...).

If i was just on groomed snow, the last one was probably better, but for off piste, bumps, crud, etc, the new one is super great.

I'll get a more detailed impression up once I get a few more days on it, but I'm already infatuated.

Cheers!
W

deweime

Skier
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am getting ready to make my purchases for the upcoming season! I am debating between getting one ski only - the Stockli Stormrider 88, or two skis - The Stockli AX and the Stockli Stormrider 95.

I am 5'11, 190lbs, intermediate to advanced skier. I am not really comfortable going off-piste, but I may consider doing that I get better. I suck at moguls, so no interest there. I ski mostly in Tahoe and Utah and 90% on-piste, so there is a good amount of chunder from time to time.

So, is the SR88 perfectly sufficient for me? Or should I get two skis. If two skis, are those a good balance? I would note that last year I demoed the Nordica enforcer 93, and thought that ski was too much for me. I also demoed the Rossi Exp 88, which I thought were awesome and easy to ski. However, I just do not like the Rossi design and the Stockli craftsmanship seems very alluring.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

Old thread resurrection again....why didn't you like about the enforcer 93? I have to say that I have a pair of those and don't love them. I got the AXs and love them here in Tahoe when is hasn't snowed sometimes. Thinking about getting the Stormrider 95s for after storms like we just had this last week.

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
So, I purchased the Blizzard Rustler 9 recently and just didn't feel like it was the ski for me. It was way too "springy" for my tastes and tended to deflect around quite a bit. As a result, I went out and grabbed the ski I should've purchased from jump street, the Stormrider 95. First off, wow! This is a super smooth, stable and damp ski. I was able to make long GS skis in 14" of tracked out powder yesterday as easily as I could make super short turns through the mogul field. This ski ate up all terrain in its path. It was like a "surfy" steamroller that obeyed my every command. Super short turns? Check. Roll through crud at the end of the day? Check. Stability and dampness? Check, check. It didn't sink to the bottom like I thought it would due to its 2 sheets of metal but surfed through it. I think the biggest surprise was how well it made a variety of turn shapes with zero difficulty. It sank a little in the powder but the tip stayed above it all, making it very, very easy to initiate turns. I didn't have to work particularly hard to get the ski to conform itself to the conditions and turn shapes. It was as good on edge carving as it was "starving" through the tracked out snow. The short length (184) was perfect and for me (6'2", 254lbs) was easy to control in all terrain. The length was perfect for fore aft stability but short enough to make tight turns through the mogul fields. I started the day out on my 192cm Vokl Katanas and they were a blast in the powder. However, they are a big mountain ski and would much rather make a longer radius turn. As the day went along, they became less and less of an enjoyable option, which is why I switched over to the Stormrider. Frankly, the Stormrider would have been great from start to finish in the 14" of powder we received.

Thoughts on the Stormrider vs. Laser AX? Biggest thing for me was the difference in ease of turn initiation. The Stormrider is just an easier ski to ski. With that said, I love the AX and it's my choice of ski for when the conditions haven't seen natural snowfall in a while. Once we get a bunch of snow, I think the Stormrider is the perfect option.

Anyway, if you're thinking about this ski, it's a winner in my book.
What are they like in double black really tight trees when you need to pivot? I was looking at the 175cm for said use. How are they in pow? Thanks. I own the AX's.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What are they like in double black really tight trees when you need to pivot? I was looking at the 175cm for said use. How are they in pow? Thanks. I own the AX's.

Depends on your skills and the snow conditions. Keep in mind that the SR95 has very little tip rocker compared to most of its competition. Lots of tip rocker makes a ski turn very easily without requiring great skier skill, but requires trade-offs on overall performance across varied terrain and conditions. If you've got the skills, most skiers find the SR95 a very rewarding ski across the entire mountain.

Sponsor