• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser AX vs Liberty v82... again

TS
Nypaloto

Nypaloto

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If you really want to improve your skiing, go for the AX 168.
Ah, thanks for throwing in this curveball; I was so focused on the 175... ;). Considering I'll be skiing the 175 for at least a couple of years, and assuming I'll improve my skiing skills, the 175 will be perfectly fine in the longer run, right? Either way, I can't find a 168 that's available in, or ships to, Japan, so 175 it is. Everything seems to be selling out rapidly, so I think I'll go for it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, thanks for throwing in this curveball; I was so focused on the 175... ;). Considering I'll be skiing the 175 for at least a couple of years, and assuming I'll improve my skiing skills, the 175 will be perfectly fine in the longer run, right? Either way, I can't find a 168 that's available in, or ships to, Japan, so 175 it is. Everything seems to be selling out rapidly, so I think I'll go for it.

Looks like the decision was made for you.
Good luck & enjoy.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Fuso may have a 168, just FYI

TS
Nypaloto

Nypaloto

Skier
Fuso may have a 168, just FYI
Thanks! Was there last week, and they only had the SC. The AX would have to be ordered from Switzerland. It'd be he 2021 model, but over my budget.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
PM'd you

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I think you have an apples to oranges comparison (aka it's not like for like). Never mind that these two skis aren't in the same class, they're also not similar enough on paper (sidecut, flex, build) that I would have these in a cage match.

I don't think you stated where you mostly ski. What mountain is your home mountain? What kind of terrain do you ski the most?

TS
Nypaloto

Nypaloto

Skier
I don't think you stated where you mostly ski. What mountain is your home mountain? What kind of terrain do you ski the most?

Hmm, I think I did...
New member, first post. After a lengthy (but fun) research, I've narrowed down my shortlist to 2 skis: Stockli Laser AX and Liberty V82. From what I read here on the forums (fora?), both are considered excellent skis, with the AX edging out the v82, it seems.

I'm leaning towards the Stockli (...a teeny bit driven by patriotism), but every time I'm about to hit the 'BUY' button, I pause. Should I just save a few bucks and go with the v82 instead? Surely, the v82 is good enough for my skills?

I'm hoping for some advise to get me out of this dilemma! Here's my skiing profile:

57 years
186cm (6'1")
75kg (165 lbs)
Intermediate-Advanced (with ambition to move into Advanced category)
Mostly relaxed skiing
Mostly short to medium turns (with some attempts at carving here and there)
Mostly on-piste (with ambition to tackle some powder)
Mostly skiing in Japan (and a bit Switzerland)
Also considered DPS Alchemist Cassiar 79 and Black Crows Vertis (mostly because I love the design)

And I would go for 175cm for the AX, and 172cm for v82.

Any thoughts would help. Thanks!

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Well, the OP has had plenty of accurate feedback, but I'll add my own $0.02, having skied both skis he is considering, plus all of the alternatives mentioned.

I found the Liberty V82 to be a rather "dead"-feeling ski that was adequate, but no more, in most conditions. No joy, no spirit. A better budget alternative for your size is the Salomon S/Force 9 (one sheet of metal) or S/Force 11 (two sheets): 80 in the waist, 170 length (80% of the fun of the Laser and I also preferred them to any of the DPS skis or Volkls mentioned above).

I own the Laser AX in a 168 length and ski it/teach on it 90% of the time. This is in all conditions except fresh powder over 10 inches. I'm a similar weight to the OP and find the 168 is more than enough ski, plus, as mentioned earlier, it's much livelier and playful than the 175 length. The Laser is a fairly firm ski that skis longer than its length. The 175 is more work and adds no advantages unless you are over 185 lbs. or so. If it's impossible to get the 168, go with the 175, but I'd look a bit harder.

OP: You know what to do, just do it!

Best!
Mike

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
After skiing the SX at 170, I do think the AX in 168 might've been a better ski for me. But the 175 isn't too much ski (the 183 was, way too much) and I'm close to identical weight/height as @Nypaloto

Chief F1 Fan

Booting up
Skier
I'll apologize in advance and say this: This is the best ski I've ever been on. Period. I am a high expert and race (currently) and freestyled competitively and have been skiing 56 years. Currently I'm a professional ski patroller logging 60-80 days/year on skis in the East. The AX is not a ski whose talents should be used on a budding upper end intermediate. It's far too good for that. The only way to extract the maximum amount of what this ski can do is to have a great set of skills. No back seat 10 ski day/year poseurs as it's not for you, buy a cheaper ski you'll never know or appreciate the difference.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Not any run-of-the-mill expert, but a "high" expert. Well, gollygee goshamighty! :hail::hail::hail:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll apologize in advance and say this: This is the best ski I've ever been on. Period. I am a high expert and race (currently) and freestyled competitively and have been skiing 56 years. Currently I'm a professional ski patroller logging 60-80 days/year on skis in the East. The AX is not a ski whose talents should be used on a budding upper end intermediate. It's far too good for that. The only way to extract the maximum amount of what this ski can do is to have a great set of skills. No back seat 10 ski day/year poseurs as it's not for you, buy a cheaper ski you'll never know or appreciate the difference.
Well...... Nice 1st post and welcome

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I own the Laser AX in a 168 length and ski it/teach on it 90% of the time. This is in all conditions except fresh powder over 10 inches. I'm a similar weight to the OP and find the 168 is more than enough ski,

This is consistent with what many others have said. It's great because it means I can keep a feeler out for those 161s that no one else is going to want! :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is consistent with what many others have said. It's great because it means I can keep a feeler out for those 161s that no one else is going to want! :ogbiggrin:

You may not be too far off. You and Mamie probably weight about the same. (She is gonna kill me if she reads this).
I would put Mamie on a 154 if she wanted a pair. I know she doesn't want one

jw19

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone,

New member here and I have really enjoyed reading all the old posts!
Like Nypaloto, I'm looking to purchase the Laser AX and hoping for sizing advice!

48 years
172cm (5'8")
155 lbs
Intermediate (hoping to get to Advanced and planning to spend at least 20-30 days in the snow this year!)
Mix of relaxed skiing with family and attempting more challenging terrain alone
Ski in the East Coast. Prefer groomers

I'm debating whether I should be on the 161cm or 168cm. I'm currently on a 166cm Brahma, so the 161cm seems like a step down. That said I keep reading repeatedly that the Ax skis long. I want to be sure I have some room to grow into the skis...

Any thoughts on 161 vs 168? Thank you.

Sponsor

Staff online