• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser AX vs Liberty v82... again

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello everyone,

New member here and I have really enjoyed reading all the old posts!
Like Nypaloto, I'm looking to purchase the Laser AX and hoping for sizing advice!

48 years
172cm (5'8")
155 lbs
Intermediate (hoping to get to Advanced and planning to spend at least 20-30 days in the snow this year!)
Mix of relaxed skiing with family and attempting more challenging terrain alone
Ski in the East Coast. Prefer groomers

I'm debating whether I should be on the 161cm or 168cm. I'm currently on a 166cm Brahma, so the 161cm seems like a step down. That said I keep reading repeatedly that the Ax skis long. I want to be sure I have some room to grow into the skis...

Any thoughts on 161 vs 168? Thank you.
If you want to save some $$...

How much do you like to turn? If it's a lot, the shorter of the two...if you want to relax...the longer one.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello everyone,

New member here and I have really enjoyed reading all the old posts!
Like Nypaloto, I'm looking to purchase the Laser AX and hoping for sizing advice!

48 years
172cm (5'8")
155 lbs
Intermediate (hoping to get to Advanced and planning to spend at least 20-30 days in the snow this year!)
Mix of relaxed skiing with family and attempting more challenging terrain alone

I'm debating whether I should be on the 161cm or 168cm. I'm currently on a 166cm Brahma, so the 161cm seems like a step down. That said I keep reading repeatedly that the Ax skis long. I want to be sure I have some room to grow into the skis...

Any thoughts on 161 vs 168? Thank you.

Like Phil said, shorter if you like to turn.
Also where are most of your ski days? If in NE, go shorter. If out west, go longer.

Anyhow, the 167/168 length should be more versatile for all around skiing.
I am couple inches shorter and got 10 more pounds of road hugging weight. I am on a 168. Could go either way.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do you prefer groomers? It's not wrong to prefer groomers, obviously, but to my way of thinking your answer might inform the answer to the length question.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Before considering whether or not the cost of a ski is worth it, divide the cost by the number of ski days you will use the ski, then compare the additional cost per day for that ski to the total cost per day (lift ticket, travel expense, etc.).
Of all the skis have purchased, that is a calculation I have never made. It is a very logical method and I like it, the problem is buying a ski is not always logical. It is a combination knowledge of the equipment and the magic bullet that is going to provide the next step up in skiing enjoyment or ability. That is the intangible that manufacturers exploit, they need to differentiate their products from the competition, one method is price another is technology. Technology is for geeks like most of us here and price is for the image buyers. I am not saying the more expensive ski doesn't have good technology, it also has to have that sex appeal and that is what the image buyers want.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
168. I'm exactly your weight and love the versatility the 168 offers. If you go down to a 161, you may as well be on a dedicated slalom ski. Let the Laser do what it does best, all over the mountain in varied conditions! You'll love it!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
For me the 161 gets tedious in soft snow over a foot. Where as the 168 has a better feel to it off piste. Once you feel the stockli you want anything else. Lol

Chief F1 Fan

Booting up
Skier
From Stockli's website, I just ran across this moments ago and thought it may help you. Looks like the 168 is a better fit for you.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.52.28 PM.png

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I cannot disagree with @Tony Storaro even though he might be over stating it a bit ;) . The AX, will definitely hold someones hand to help guide and to extant fast track them to the next level...provided they have a good foundation of skills to build on.

I agree with this with the caveat that it could frustrate someone who doesn't understand what is needed to progress or it could cause some to develop poor skills due to their inability to ski this ski properly.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty cool shot of their production floor. There's a lot of layers that goes into those. Can anyone call out the individual layers? I didn't see metal layers nor how or when the sidewalls were added however.