• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SRAM Eagle upgrade

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I need a new drivetrain on my Santa Cruz 5010. I currently have SRAM 11-speed with 30t chain ring and 10/42 cassette. While in my mind I may wish for a lower gear, I find that when I'm in my lowest gear, I have trouble balancing going slow on climbs well before I run out of strength of lungs to continue to pedal.

I'd love to hear from people that upgraded and their thoughts on it.

TIA

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If you are asking about gear ratios..... I don't upgrade as my bikes typically come whole from the brand. That being said, for some time I had 30 - 34 on the front and 42 on the back. Then my S-Works Epic EVO came with a 51 on the back. Game changer. Those long, two hour climbs that I had to bring my A game to can now be recovery rides. I can still grab one of my other bikes. I can still go hard on the EVO. But if I want a leisurely climb at recovery pace in a stunning alpine setting, I can do that.

I also have a 2X Di2 Syncho HT that I love. It provides all of the range, intermediate gears, and the low that I need. My 12 speed EVO comes close to meeting those intermediate steps

Trick that I learned from a few of our pros, on those easy days go up climbs as slowly as you can. Work on balance. I just purchased the half acre next to us and am building a mtn bike skills track, just to drill such fundamentals.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yep, the dinner plate cogs are really, really, nice to have. Both the Eagle 12sp and the New Shimano 12's are nice, shift well and get you the comfy big gears. Don't forget to buy one of those wolf tooth chain-pincher tool things or you will be cursing the first time you try to brake the master link on a 12sp chain in the woods by hand.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How does the crank length affect power the wheel? I got shorter cranks and sort of miss the longer ones.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
How does the crank length affect power the wheel? I got shorter cranks and sort of miss the longer ones.
The basic math is simple... Longer arm, more torque. However, it's more complicated than that for the most part. Lower gear does the same thing..sometimes smooth is better for traction...longer crank can give you one big lump of torque at one point and can start spinning the tire. Crank length is an oft-debated topic.... There are bio-mechanical things at work, ease to spin, physical restrictions. I would say, use what is comfortable for you.

Try this on..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel like i can spin the cranks slightly slower and get the same power with long cranks and reduce wheel spin but it could be my imagination.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I just want to say as a guy that works on bikes, the Shimano 12 speed is so much nicer unless you are at the X0/XX level. I am shocked at how much cheaper the SRAM stuff feels to me. I'm talking brakes, drivetrain, cranks, everything.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I feel like i can spin the cranks slightly slower and get the same power with long cranks and reduce wheel spin but it could be my imagination.

It's not your imagination. Foot speed and cadence are different things. For the same cadence and two different crank lengths, with the longer crank arm your foot will have to travel a longer path (arc) to complete a revolution in the same amount of time (and thus a higher foot speed). That's why when you switch to a shorter crank, you initially feel like you are spinning a hamster wheel. Do a search on the "Gain Ratio" concept vs "gear ratio".

Take a look at this article for some additional info: Crank Length and Gearing.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's not your imagination. Foot speed and cadence are different things. For the same cadence and two different crank lengths, with the longer crank arm your foot will have to travel a longer path (arc) to complete a revolution in the same amount of time (and thus a higher foot speed). That's why when you switch to a shorter crank, you initially feel like you are spinning a hamster wheel. Do a search on the "Gain Ratio" concept vs "gear ratio".

Take a look at this article for some additional info: Crank Length and Gearing.

Yup i looked into all that before i went shorter. I think my preference is longer. Of course tire wear, pressure, conditions and so many variables make direct comparison difficult so its more about feel.

Doug Briggs what crank length do you plan on getting

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Then my S-Works Epic EVO came with a 51 on the back. Game changer. Those long, two hour climbs that I had to bring my A game to can now be recovery rides. I can still grab one of my other bikes. I can still go hard on the EVO. But if I want a leisurely climb at recovery pace in a stunning alpine setting, I can do that.

As a previously overly-serious racer, I endorse this statement!

FWIW, I have SRAM Eagle on all three of my mtbs, but the new Shimano stuff shifts so much better. Also, the rear derailleurs have FAR better clutches -- which are user adjustables. If I didn't have 74 sets of wheels already equipped with SRAM XD drivers, I'd go with Shimano in a heartbeat.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Dropped as in dropped it from the lineup or dropped the price or dropped it into the lineup?

What needs changing when switching from SRAM to Shimano besides:
  • shifter
  • deraileur
  • chain
  • cassette
Cranks?
BB?
Brake lever (that the shifter attaches to)? I have Guide brake levers.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So those on 11 spd that would like lower gearing but are on a budget, could keep their cranks and brakes and save some coin?

Yeh, but the RD to work that cassette is 1x system only - 2x system RDs are offeeshally limited to 46. More money to Wolftooth I guess.

OFC OP is already on 1x - not sure what his chainline is but it should be possible to franken up something without changing the cranks/BB.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Even more compelling is that they released an 11-51 cassette on their 11 spd version. So those on 11 spd that would like lower gearing but are on a budget, could keep their cranks and brakes and save some coin?
Hmm... I saw their announcement earlier yesterday, but as I prefer XT, I didn't even bother to check. But 11-51 11speed cassette sounds nice :) My current Canyon Lux still has 2x and I just started to think if I should convert it to 1x. Wheels are nice, and with DT Swiss it's just some 40eur part to convert current 240 hub from "normal" ratchet to Micro Spline, so that would be easy one, but everything else needed to go 12spd would bring me to some 500eur for conversion from current 2x11 to 1x12.
With 11-51 cassette and 36T chainring front, I could actually come pretty close my desired gear ratio setup for fraction of money needed for 12spd upgrade :)
Just read @cantunamunch reply after I wrote this... so based on this what you are saying, my current RD (XT RD-M8000 SGS) wouldn't work on this 11-51 cassette?

Sponsor