• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Squaw Valley Ceo Talks Fis World Cup And More

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We spent some time with Andy Wirth over the summer, talking about Squaw Valley and its future. We discussed not only the very important upcoming redevelopment plans that include connecting Squaw and Alpine Meadows via a gondola, but also the return of World Cup skiing to Lake Tahoe and Squaw’s commitment to its heritage. Coming off an El Niño season that delivered some great snow, we could tell that the weight of the previous four bad snow years was finally off Andy's shoulders. Of course he can't control the weather, but it is obvious that Andy takes pride in his job as president and CEO of Squaw Valley Ski Holdings, even feeling responsible when Mother Nature doesn't deliver.

andy-wirth-jpg.12508

In the short six years he has been in Tahoe, Andy has entrenched himself into the community, showing his love for Squaw Valley and getting involved with such organizations as Military to the Mountains, High Fives, Wounded Warriors, and Achieve Tahoe (formerly Disabled Sports). In addition, he serves as vice chairman of the board of the Reno-Tahoe International Airport, influencing more nonstop flights into the region.

The first topic of discussion was the Base-to-Base Gondola joining Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows. The long-awaited connection, a vision of the Cushings and the Poulsons, is still waiting on local and state approval, but all things point to a gondola being built within the next few years. In its current design phase, the Base-to-Base will be able to transport 1,400 skiers an hour through two angle stations between the two resorts. The vibe felt throughout Squaw is one of anticipation; local skiers cannot wait, and visitors are excited to have all their options a lift ride away.

Then we moved on to a monumental event that will be happening in Tahoe: Squaw Valley is proud to host the 2017 Audi FIS Women’s World Cup during March 9-12, 2017. The first such races to be held at Squaw since 1969, the slalom and giant slalom will be held on Red Dog, the same location as the 1960 Olympics and 1969 World Cup. The U.S. women will be strongly represented, led by Lindsey Vonn and Mikaela Shiffrin as well as two Tahoe locals, Olympic medalist Julia Mancuso and newcomer Lila Lapanja. The red, white, and blue could very well win, place, and show in both events! Tickets are on sale at WorldCupSquaw.com.

screen-shot-2016-08-18-at-5-23-58-pm-png.12510

Andy looks at this major FIS event as not only a showcase for Squaw Valley but also a window into its future. Just as it is important to bring skiers from all over the world to Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows, hosting this World Cup event will put the best ski racers in the world within a ski's length of the juniors coming up through local programs like Squaw’s Mighty Mites, inspiring them to follow in Lila's and Julia’s cat tracks.

At our next sit-down, we hope to talk to Andy more about the redevelopment of the base area. This phase has been a hot topic in the Tahoe Basin, and we want to formulate our own view of what it means to keep Squaw true.

Video by @DoryBreaux

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is it true that locals cannot wait for the base to base gondola? Sounds like marketing hype and not consistent with my understanding of the view of some Alpine stalwarts. And for the Face rats and the Palisades squad isn't Alpine a bit meh?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@fatbob, I am sure you have heard the died in the wool Squaw-ites complaining, how could you not. Many of these people who are very...vocal...against the change now were all for the Base to Base before. "Keep Squaw True" has been ringing through the basin for the past few years? My question is, true to what? True to when? True to the day you arrived in Tahoe and now you want the door closed behind you so no one else gets to appreciate the mountain? I have heard a lot of what these die-hards perceive to be "true". I want to hear more about what Squaw Valley will be doing before I form my own opinion.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Being able to go from Squaw to Alpiner and back without taking a shuttle will be very good, there are no two ways about that. if yuou don't like Apline, don't take the gondola and hope that more people go to Alpine to leave Squaw slopes less crowded. I like Apline, so being able to get on the other side with less hassle will be good. The big question is at what price. It's pretty clear that the gondola is going to happen only if KSL gets to build their condo village on the Squaw parking lot. This where the opinions start to diverge sharply.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Being able to go from Squaw to Alpiner and back without taking a shuttle will be very good, there are no two ways about that. if yuou don't like Apline, don't take the gondola and hope that more people go to Alpine to leave Squaw slopes less crowded. I like Apline, so being able to get on the other side with less hassle will be good. The big question is at what price. It's pretty clear that the gondola is going to happen only if KSL gets to build their condo village on the Squaw parking lot. This where the opinions start to diverge sharply.
I am hoping to have a follow up interview with Andy on that.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice interview! You should make it a format where presidents/owners/directors talk about what their vision for the resort is.
But his answer on the last question -- what was it? Think you caught him a little off guard.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid