• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello all, I am planning a trip to Squaw and Mammoth for the last week of March for my daughter and I and I was hoping for some recommendations for lodging at each. We don't need ski-in/ski-out, although that would be nice. Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as well.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas. I skied Mammoth last March-we did opt for Ski in Ski out at Juniper Springs. Underground parking included. Condo equipped. There was a driver to take us to restaurants if we didn't want to drive at night, bus in day. We liked getting fresh tracks off the lifts on that side of the Mt. (it is Mammoth) We had Mt Collective passes and got a discount. Last summer I skied Mammoth and stayed down in town TONS of units. We stayed in the Horizons complex. Walk to grocery and bus stop if you didn't want to drive. Check VRBO/Airbnb Lots of good restaurants, You'll have a blast.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like staying by the Canyon Lodge at the condos with underground parking across the street from the Austria Hof Lodge. The Austria Hof has great après ski and the condos while expensive make for a pleasant ski day without the hassle of parking.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Mammoth Mountain Inn is always a good bet. Not a lot of night life but there's a free shuttle down to the village. Gondola just across the street to take you to the top of the mountain.
Also the Alpenhof Lodge across from the village gondola has been good for me in the past.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Not fancy but the model 6 was a nice bed to sleep in, was our regular lodging locale. Great location right in the middle of town. Also liked the condos on mammoth mountain road near the grocery store. Shilo inn on main street was very nice . Mammoth mountain inn is a great location to the mountain also, loved ooking out windows at night seeing the cats on the hill.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I stay with my friends at Mammoth so I'm no help there.

Olympic Valley inn was nice at Squaw. We VRBOed a place under the tram that was good. The Village was nice and convenient - I stayed off peak so the price was surprisingly reasonable (loved the hot tubs). Christy Hill lodge also worked (rented from Squaw Valley real estate). My experiences are 10 years old now so it's not gospel - our house is done so we stay there now.

Eric

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
At squaw your pretty much ski in/ski out or your staying in Tahoe city or truckee which are both about 15-20 minutes (with weekends being 45+ minutes sometimes)

Squaw:
Resort at squaw creek
Olympic village inn
Squaw valley lodge

Tahoe city:
Pepper tree inn- cheap and centrally located right on the main strip

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We usually book vrbo/ airbnb and have had great experiences, but really, we've run the gamut from hotels and condos down to camping in our car at the RVcampground. Mammoth is an easy town to get around in, lodging just depends on your budget and priorities.

As for Squaw, we usually end up staying in Tahoe City at a vacation rental and have not found the drive to be an issue. But we are first chair types so YMMV. Oh, the Tahoe hostel in Kings Beach was really nice. We stayed there one night with our DD as well.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If Squaw is at its best, the drive is awful. You can be in Truckee at 9 and not hit the hill until noon.! Stay in the Valley if you can and hope for an epic day. Regardless, the powder is gone in two hours so take a second Red Bull for the liftie and get there for opening bell. Or relax and get afternoon soft bumps.

If you stay in Sunnyside, get up early for Squaw and go back to Homewood for afternoon untracked there. I've heard that's the best. But I'm not driving on a powder day.

Stay in the Valley and leave the car parked.

Eric

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At Mammoth we stayed in the condos that are right by Juniper Springs, but at the end of the parking lot. The building seemed old and a bit banged up but the unit itself was good. Underground parking, and you get a guest pass, too, so if you have friends staying somewhere else it's nice for them to be able to drive over and park close by.

At Squaw, we did the Olympic Village Inn. Just a quick maybe 2 minute shuttle ride up to the village and you're good to go.

TS
W

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for all the great information everyone. I'll be looking into some of the options mentioned over the next week. Sounds like we'll try to stay in the village for Squaw. I had looked at a couple of places in Tahoe City, but I'd rather not risk issues traveling back and forth, even though we are first chair types as well. Seems like a lot more options in Mammoth.

TS
W

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
We finally made our lodging reservations. We ended up with a room at the Resort at Squaw Creek for 3 nights and then opted to get a condo in town for Mammoth that's right on the shuttle line (although we'll probably just drive over). Thanks everyone for the tips, they definitely came in handy.

Sponsor

Staff online