• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Astrocat

Booting up
Skier
On balance though if I feel the travel is going to be a complete pain perhaps i should just ski a couple of days and not pre purchase the pass?. :)

Last edited:

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Cheers and I do appreciate the advice Ray. However the basic purpose of the trip is work related for my husband, and any skiing for me is an add on.. He has to be at the Hyatt , so while he works, I thought I would ski! I realise the travel is going to be a bit of a pain but hey the scenery is all new to me so I'll just make the best of it and look out the window, or snooze ha ha.
Hyatt in incline is really nice. I usually recommend it for people that want to ski both heavenly and N*, which will both be closed by the time you get here. Your right on the beach and the weather will likely be nice. You will dig it!

Do you have a car? The drive from the Hyatt to squaw is about 45 min (midweek) a little less than 20min to mt rose. I'd be surprised if the Hyatt ran a shuttle all the way to squaw this time of year maybe the squaw employee shuttle stops there is more likely. It's a public shuttle but tends to run early, then not again until 3-4 so once your at the resort your there all day good or bad.

Hyatt may be able to get you some discount passes also.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
there is also highly discounted super2 option at squaw so 2 days there might be all the travel to squaw you can stomach. that maybe good middle ground instead of committing to super 4 .

The mt rose option should be less hassle to mix it up.
hyatt incline is right on the lake, so there is no shortage of beach/lake hike activity or just relaxation.
Weighing your options, im sure you can find a nonski excursion that is equally interesting for far less than a skiday.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Astrocat if you're at Incline, Diamond Peak or Mt Rose are the closest ski options, 5 and 15 min respectively. There might even be an in town shuttle for DP. They both should be open for a couple more weeks.

Astrocat

Booting up
Skier
Astrocat update .. looked at all your advice and options and then hubby suggested I should abandon him for 2 nights and go out to Squaw as I really do want to see it and ski it. So I am looking at days but likely to try Squaw Lodge which looked pretty ok. Looking forward to it more by the day!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
just stayed at the lodge last night. Perfect location. Dont forget your swimsuit for the hottub or saunas

i think they may have a discount on lift tickets, they asked me if i needed at check in, but i have a pass so didnt get their price.

Astrocat

Booting up
Skier
just stayed at the lodge last night. Perfect location. Dont forget your swimsuit for the hottub or saunas

i think they may have a discount on lift tickets, they asked me if i needed at check in, but i have a pass so didnt get their price.

Thanks Ray, yes got a good discount on skis pkge and also the 2 day lift pass. Looks as if I’ll be skiing Squaw Monday and Tuesday :)

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
Gotta say you are all awesomely friendly and helpful folks. Will keep you all posted.

Everyone on Pugski is super helpful, and folks here who know and love the Tahoe area are especially fabulous. So glad your husband suggested you stay at Squaw. He is definitely a keeper!

Some tips from a four-time Tahoe in April fan...
- If you arent used to low humiidty, hydrate a ton. Start on your flight over and continue upon landing and throughout your stay
- If you’re not used to the altitude, give your body at least one day to adjust before you ski (and keep hydrating!); I get thirsty thwice as fast when skiimg out here compared ro thr East Coast
- Use a ton of sunscreen even on overcast days
- Be prepared for same day extreme temp variations even in April and bring a variety of weights of base layers, gloves, liners, neck gaiters, balaclavas, etc. to stash in your locker so you have options
- Renting a car in Tahoe will give you a lot more options. It is often less expensive to rent a car for a full week amd tum it in early. If you do National or Enterprise you can often get a free upgrade if you join their Emerald Club

Re: Squaw...
- The Tram ride up to high camp is a beautiful way to see the valley
- Paying a bit more for Squaw on-mountain demo skis is worth it IMO since you can trade them in for slushier afternoon conditions (btw, I loved the Blizzard Black Pearl 98s for what it’s worth; the BP 88 has a lot of softer snow fans too)
- If you would rather spend money demoing than on food try Wildflour near the Olympic House demo center (food court-ish but healthier) for lunch, and avoid eating at the high camp restaurant

Thursday is Ladies Day at Mt. Rose, which is closer to the Hyatt—$49 lift tickets are a great deal. Mt Rose is considered a local’s mountain, but it is better terrain than most of us have access to on a regular basis. (lucky locals!)

If you demoed skis you loved at Squaw, call Tahoe Dave’s Ski Shop before going to Mt Rose and you may be able to get the same ones you liked for the day for about 30-40% less than the Squaw demo price. You can pick them up late in the afternoon so you have them ready for the next morning.

Have a fabulous time!

Astrocat

Booting up
Skier
^^ I want to love this post. Some great tips thank you Deb! The timing w Mt Rose would be ideal.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if your lungs are feeling dry the steam room at the lodge at squaw really helps the respiratory system.
However specifically at Lodge, it takes a while for it to get going if nobody is in there. If you do care for a steam session, suggest you to turn the steam room on, then hot tub or do something else, then check back in 15 minutes and turn the timer again maybe it'll be warmed up by then

final tip is if you are demoing for 2days at squaw, the equation then becomes do you apply your demo fees towards purchase, rather then paying demoing again for tahoe dave? lots of sale signs but it still maybe $500+ total for a purchase (but you might be invested $150 already).

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
View attachment 44762 :bestday:What an epic! Thank you all for your advice. I had a blast at both Alpine and Squaw, so happy. THANK YOU. :golfclap:

Nice! Glad you made it work

If your lookin for good eats be sure to hit up T's Mexican roteserie for a chicken or tri tip burrito. It's in the 7-11 plaza in incline. Cash only
Bite is another good one also but more $$. Cool bar that will be pretty much all locals this time of year.

Best Mexican around is a hole in the wall inside a Mexican market here in kings beach. La mexicana. Best chili riellenos anywhere!! Everything on the menu is good!

Astrocat

Booting up
Skier
Nice! Glad you made it work

If your lookin for good eats be sure to hit up T's Mexican roteserie for a chicken or tri tip burrito. It's in the 7-11 plaza in incline. Cash only
Bite is another good one also but more $$. Cool bar that will be pretty much all locals this time of year.

Best Mexican around is a hole in the wall inside a Mexican market here in kings beach. La mexicana. Best chili riellenos anywhere!! Everything on the menu is good!

This is exactly my kind of food! Thank you!