• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Accessories SQlab 611 Saddle

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Old saddle got too torn up and had to be replaced. It was a rebranded WTB Volt and I was happy with it from a comfort perspective. This particular incarnation was a bit cheesy in the construction department - not at all protected from the typical rear-corner damage. Decided to try something different.

I now have a half dozen rides or more on my new SQlab 611. I got the 113mm version, which is the second-narrowest of four. Made this choice based on their written guidance WRT sit-bone width. Theoretically I could have gone with the narrowest, but glad I didn't, as this one is, if anything, not quite wide enough. As a database programmer, I have not gotten past my cognitive confusion whenever I read the name of this company, but that's my problem.

The mfr. pushes "Active" versions of this saddle with an elastomer widget that's supposed to absorb vibration and increase comfort. Reviews are good, but it makes the thing 50% heavier and 50% more expensive, so I passed.

Anyway, this is a really nice saddle. In particular, the back half is extremely well designed, at least for my butt. The rear third is a raised plateau, which seems to keep pressure off everything but the sit bones, as long as you're positioned fully back on the seat. The hollow in the mid section only enhances this welcome quality.

The front part is quite square, both in cross section and from the top view. What's nice about it is that you do have a wider support platform than normal, even when you're out on the rivet. It works okay for me, but if I had to re-design it I think I would keep the nice width but round out the cross section just a bit to make it conform to that part of the anatomy better. As it is I feel the left and right edges of the nose more than I'd prefer.

Overall I'd give this a grade of A-. Definitely recommended.

20190608_161534-01.jpeg
20190608_161607-01.jpeg
20190608_161613-01.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
interesting design! Although my sit bones are 105 wide, I found the most comfortable and efficient saddle for me (at RETUL Fitting) was a 143. I think the +10mm thing on sit bones is not all that accurate but you need to look at the overall shape and how the saddle tapers off on the sides. I like the shape of that saddle. it looks comfy and easy to move around on, Thanks!

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct @Ron ,
listed saddle width is total outside width, so sitbone width needs to be less.
As you mentioned, the shape of the saddle determines the’effective’ width, and two saddles with the same overal outside width will have very different effective width.

Usually what I do when I am doing a bike fit, I’l take the client’s sitbone width, and that gives me a rough idea of which size saddle I need. Then I simply put the calipers on the saddle, at their sitbone width: do the tips end up in a flat area, or are the one a part that slopes down already? Or, conversely, is there much flat space to the outside of the caliper.
Once I have that done, I will let the client try 3 saddles. I remind them to check 2 things:
  1. Comfort: does it feel decently comfortable? The one exception being sitbone pressure.

2. Does it isolate pressure on the sitbones? Does it minimize pressure on the nose of the saddle? Important with the latter is making sure you are sitting with proper anterior pelvic tilt: in other words, your hips are tilted forward, not your spine curved forward.
That last bit is key. Often poor saddles cause people to have their pelvis to upright, then they curve their spine, that reduces glute recruitment in the pedal stroke, they get a sore back or neck, can’t use the drops on a road bike, can’t climb steep stuff on the mtb, etc, etc,

@Tony S , thanks for the review! You might also want to try the Specialized Power. It also supports well in the rear, but it has a ‘chopped’ nose, so less there to get in the way.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
long story short, I had to switch saddles this summer due to extreme pain that developed but it was due to my last Hip surgery where extra "gasket" material was installed into my hip. My PT also used to work on a pro cycle team and really knows his stuff. He discovered the saddle issue by putting me on a trainer and had me pedal with one leg. That shows how efficient you can be with the saddle on each side. The area near the pubic symphysis and where the adductors meet was literally banging into the side of the saddle where as the opposite leg was fine. I moved to a narrower saddle (Selle Italia SP-01 Boost) and the problem was resolved. It took a few weeks for the pain to resolve and I still have some pain in the region but I can cycle through it.

Sponsor

Staff online