• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With a crispness in the air and some manmade snow on the trails of Mt Rose in the distance, @Andy Mink and I took a field trip to visit the Moment ski showroom and factory in Reno. Moment is located in the industrial area of Sparks just east of Reno in an unassuming warehouse-like building. If it weren’t for the Moment Sprinter parked by the street, we might very well have missed it.

20181019_134933.jpg

20181019_134943.jpg 20181019_135001.jpg 20181019_135023.jpg
Jake greeted us as we walked in. We introduced ourselves and mentioned that one of our skiers, @Brian Finch, suggested we ask for him since that is who he talked with about his recent purchase. The showroom was not what we expected. Sure, the complete lineup of their newest collection was on the wall, along with David Wise’s gold-medal winning skis, but what became apparent is that Moment is evolving from indie ski builder into ski shop. You can order your favorite Look Pivot binding with the purchase of your Moment ski online, but in the shop you can pick any Atomic binding, including the new Shift.

But wait there's more: not only can you buy bindings, you can choose from a comprehensive selection of Lange and Atomic boots and receive full bootfitting services, including custom footbeds. You can outfit yourself in the latest Flylow or Stio kit and protect your noggin with our sponsor Pret’s newest helmet offerings. Moment's showroom is darn near one-stop shopping.

oSeNRRqLT4yEQwvL3h8WTQ.jpg R74Xp2kpRcKN8gI6%e54pw.jpg Dsx0M8zDRxCxQueqRe1lQw.jpg

We did get a tour of the facility's back shop -- where the magic happens. We got to experience every phase of the ski-building process, from seeing the woods used in the cores (including but not limited to paulownia, ash, and bamboo) and the ways they are put together to create the best application for each ski. We checked out the CNC machine for sculpting the Titanal, and all the fiberglass and fiberglass/carbon combinations for different skis. There was a great pride in every aspect of the build process; nothing was left to chance, whether monitoring humidity levels when spreading the epoxies to the exact pneumatic pressures of the ski press.

kAf7WhnZTuSOrYGY5uK4zw.jpg y71VeazhSciz8hcn%XJNkw.jpg SnjPv1ToSuGLKh5ddhAYgg.jpg 8wKfriffRa6K8SvFtIU5KA.jpg

I have been through more than one ski facility like this, and I will say there was a different tone here. There was a strong sense of pride in the construction process, and as with anyone confident in the process, Moment knows that it isn’t just using the best materials; what separates Moment from the other indies is what it does with the materials and how it constructs the skis.

As brands go, Moment is is more blue collar than boutique, but it is not a garage brand -- gawd no. If I even mentioned that, I think Luke, the head honcho and chief bottle washer, might have punched me in the throat. I understand, because I feel the same way when someone says we have "a little blog." There is a feeling of synergy between Moment and Reno: one shirt says, “Biggest Little Ski Company,” which is a take on Reno’s slogan "Biggest Little City." After our tour, Luke and Jake chatted with us about the company and its direction, where it is and where it is headed. Moment is not trying to be everything to everyone. It is comfortable in its own niche. Seeing the loyalty it has locally and its following here and on some other sites, I would say that Moment is one of the more successful gara ... oops, … independents out there.

We plan on getting with Moment for a demo at Mt Rose this season; anyone who wants to join us will be welcome.
  • Who is Moment for? Skiers. Many brands claim that, but it is in Moment’s DNA.
  • Who is Moment not for? Poseurs. I have not spent much time on its skis, but I can get a pretty good idea how a ski will react on snow, by flexing it and knowing the skiers that they appeal to.
  • Insider tip: When you buy a Moment ski, you get tuning and base repairs for life. If you are local, just drop the skis off; if you are not, you just have to pay for shipping (both ways).
  • Jmeb Insider's Insider tip I: Moment has a semi-custom program. For about $200 extra, you can have any topsheet you want and some other design tweaks such as a camber profile from a different ski or softer/stiffer flex.
  • Jmeb Insider's Insider tip II: Moment's touring skis are among the lightest in the industry (nearly the weight of Black Diamond's Helio series), despite its use of full-thickness 4001 bases, full-thickness edges, and fiberglass in the layup. Asked how they keep weight down: "We use eagles' blood instead of epoxy."

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've always been curious about Moment. Not sure if they are ever out and about for demos. I'll probably just get a pair one day. I'm pretty well covered in the upper 80s to upper 90s widths. I may wait and see how my Praxis skis work out and go from there.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was very obvious that these guys take their craft seriously and know who their target skiers are. As @Philpug said in the first post, they aren't trying to be everything to everyone.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always been curious about Moment. Not sure if they are ever out and about for demos. I'll probably just get a pair one day. I'm pretty well covered in the upper 80s to upper 90s widths. I may wait and see how my Praxis skis work out and go from there.
They do demos at Mt. Rose during the season. They also have every ski in every length that you can demo out of their shop in town. You can take a look at their offerings here.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s been an eye opening experience buying and skiing a pair of Moments. I wouldn’t say this about too many businesses, business models and their products but I’m on board.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s been an eye opening experience buying and skiing a pair of Moments. I wouldn’t say this about too many businesses, business models and their products but I’m on board.
Which model do you have? I have a Night Train, which I've never figured out, a Tahoe which is my daily driver if I can't bum something from @Philpug, and a Deathwish which I have yet to ski on.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've got a set of Bibbys (classic shape), and two sets of Deathwishes. I bought the second set as a backup cause I fell hard for them last year. Also spent a good amount of time on PB&Js (which is just a skinny Bibby.) I'll get to make some laps on Meridians this year too.

Wanted to get in on a set of PB&J / Deathwish mash ups but hurricane damage means some extra funds are going to sister right now rather than to skis.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which model do you have? I have a Night Train, which I've never figured out, a Tahoe which is my daily driver if I can't bum something from @Philpug, and a Deathwish which I have yet to ski on.
A pair of the Deathwish could in my future.

I’m on the Wildcats/Bibby/Blister Pro. They’re close in width but different in technology.

I notice they’re almost sold out of both skis, here in October.

Glad I don’t live near the Moment factory. Free tunes would be nice but they carry way too much stuff I like.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As an owner of Bibbys and Deathwishes -- yes quite different in feel. The Deathwish is much more playful and energetic on groomers. But does not want to just point it through chop on the same level as the Bibby. The Bibby also has a good bit more taper which makes it looser in straight powder.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A pair of the Deathwish could in my future.

I’m on the Wildcats/Bibby/Blister Pro. They’re close in width but different in technology.

I notice they’re almost sold out of both skis, here in October.

Glad I don’t live near the Moment factory. Free tunes would be nice but they carry way too much stuff I like.
We were told the Wildcats are Bibbys with a new name. They've sold more Wildcats so far this season than Bibbys last year.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were told the Wildcats are Bibbys with a new name. They've sold more Wildcats so far this season than Bibbys last year.
Maybe Celtics fans account for the difference, if they associated Bibby with Henry Bibby who played for the Knicks.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Celtics fans account for the difference, if they associated Bibby with Henry Bibby who played for the Knicks.
Villanova fans are coming out of the woodwork!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
  • One last insider's tip: Moment's touring skis are among the lightest in the industry (nearly the weight of Black Diamonds Helio series) despite their use of full thickness 4001 bases, full thickness edges, and fiberglass in the layup. Asked how they keep weight down -- "we use eagles blood instead of epoxy".

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Wildcat Tours arrived in the mail on Monday. They look great! Liz and I have both bought skis from Moment this season, and we are really happy with the product and customer service.

Free 2-day shipping to Canada and no duties (thanks to NAFTA 2.0). Easy...

Now I just need to get these mounted (bought the Shifts) and on snow!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought my son (19 year old) a pair of Bibby Pro's. To quote him "Best ski eva" (were from Boston). He didn't use any other ski the whole season. I tried them out of curiosity and I was amazed at how good they were. Good thing I bought him the 184cm instead of the 190's, otherwise I would be on them. Very well built ski and an amazing performer.

I have always been more into race skis, so when I look at all their ski offerings, they all kind of look the same and I am clueless about the differences in how they ski. I like the quote below from jmeb:

As an owner of Bibbys and Deathwishes -- yes quite different in feel. The Deathwish is much more playful and energetic on groomers. But does not want to just point it through chop on the same level as the Bibby. The Bibby also has a good bit more taper which makes it looser in straight powder.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have always been more into race skis, so when I look at all their ski offerings, they all kind of look the same and I am clueless about the differences in how they ski. I like the quote below from jmeb:

It's all perspective. To a freeskier, all race skis look the same. To a racer, all freeskiing skis look the same. In both there are thousand minute things that can make all the difference. Just the right flex, just the right camber, just the right shape and length, just the right feel.

Sponsor

Staff online