• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spring skiing-what to wear?

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I am headed to Tahoe next week to squeeze a few more days out of my Ikon pass at Squaw and Alpine. I've never skied this late, or in this warm of conditions before, and I have a few wardrobe questions. What are folks wearing?

I usually wear unlined ski pants with long underwear underneath. Would this work (sans long-johns), or do I need something lighter (rain pants, etc)? For the upper body, are people just wearing light jackets? Waterproof or no? What about gloves? regular ski gloves or something lighter like full-finger MTB gloves? Regular helmet, or something with less insulation (like a bike helmet)? Or do I just wear my regular ski kit with all the vents open?

I feel like my priorities should be abrasion protection, waterproofing, and insulation/ventilation. Does that sound right? Thanks in advance for your help!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am headed to Tahoe next week to squeeze a few more days out of my Ikon pass at Squaw and Alpine. I've never skied this late, or in this warm of conditions before, and I have a few wardrobe questions. What are folks wearing?

I usually wear unlined ski pants with long underwear underneath. Would this work (sans long-johns), or do I need something lighter (rain pants, etc)? For the upper body, are people just wearing light jackets? Waterproof or no? What about gloves? regular ski gloves or something lighter like full-finger MTB gloves? Regular helmet, or something with less insulation (like a bike helmet)? Or do I just wear my regular ski kit with all the vents open?

I feel like my priorities should be abrasion protection, waterproofing, and insulation/ventilation. Does that sound right? Thanks in advance for your help!

For me:

Thin Wool Socks, Normal everyday underwear, Softshell pants, T-shirt and Shell. Pretty simple.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is totally up to you and how ventilated your equipment is and ultimately go with whatever makes you comfortable,
Be sure to look at the day's forecast, so you can get a sense of how to translate those forecasts for your next days of your trip so at worst you only suffer 1 overdressed day.

Just imagine what you'd wear for a stroll or hike in sunny warm weather.

Ski pants, most use just regular underwear rather then thermal longjohns, but depends if your longjohns are more like tights/yoga/bike pants or are they thermal longjohns.

Most people are just wearing t-shirt or a light layer underneath their regular ski jacket, or light ski jacket/softshell if they have multiple setups. The baselayer can be athletic wear (e.g. nike drifit or something else) not necessarily thermal or ski wear. You may see lots of people skiing with their jacket half zipped or fully unzipped.

You will also spot a good number of people go with no ski jacket, and are just wearing a fleece jacket, or i suppose now more popular a puffy jacket/vest; and some just wear a few layers of long sleeve tshirts with no jacket or their favorite nba team jersey as it is that time of year.

Avoiding cotton is no longer a threat, If you get your upper body wet in the spring, it's just an issue of minor discomfort versus a real danger multiplying the cold in the winter and hypothermia.
A minority you will see will go all the way to no-shirt and speedos but that's more of that individual doing their thing rather than the practical or the norm.

Ski helmet typically stays as regular ski helmet, but this is a function of whether you have a ski helmet that ventilates cool or not. Bike helmets are not hip and will get you weird looks.

Ski gloves, depends what you mean by regular ski gloves. If your gloves have liners you can take out the liners so they are just shells. Some go with very light gloves. If you have wristloops where you can just drop the gloves on every lift that will definitely help you regulate. I personally still use liner gloves with my glove shells, as moisture wicking assists both in overheating and staying warm.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
smart wool ski socks
Wind pants with shorts underneath
Base layer w/t shirt/Hawaiian shirt.
The thinnest gloves, usually liners.
Usually a shell or a Hoodie, if it's that warm no jacket at all.

I take the ear pads out of my helmet. On one occasion it was THAT warm so I didn't wear my helmet.

Last edited:

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I wear ultra light socks all year so those stay.
I skip the long john bottoms and just wear underwear and a pair of shell pants
I just wear a capilene layer and then either a mid-layer or a touring shell (soft shell) that has many many vents. If it is really warm it is a LS t-shirt only.
Never skip the helmet since I can't afford any loss of my limited intelligence in a crash.
Liners work great, especially the running kind with the cell compatible fingers.

Enjoy!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Light shell pants with nothing other than underwear and a light color, lightweight baselayer top. I don't like skiing in just a t-shirt because you can get a pretty nasty "snow rash" if you fall. I always wear my helmet (I take the earflaps off) and goggles because when I'm going fast sunglasses just don't cut it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@raytseng covered it pretty well up thread.

You can browse through the Tahoe thread and get a idea what is popular.
This week Squaw is in the mid to high 50's. It will be about 10 degrees cooler next week.

I have been wearing a sweat shirt with a long sleeve wicking base layer on top. Long silk bottom base layers under whatever pants du jour.
Helmet wise, the usual. May take off the ear pads tomorrow.
Gloves - spring ski gloves for up to 50 degree. Mechanix work gloves when temps go higher.
Eye protection - wrap around sunglasses works really well. I always carry a pair of goggle - very dark lens, just in case.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been wearing a super light base layer and a light sweater with a vest or shell depending on wind and temp. Regular ski pants with zips because I don't have lighter ones yet. Just a pair of running shorts underneath so I can strip them off at the end of the day. Also, Alpine is done so Squaw is your place.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Thanks to all who responded. I like these ideas. New question: what skis to bring? My current quiver includes Brahmas, Bonafides, and brand new DPS Foundation Wailer 106's. Kind of want try out the new skis, but suspect they aren't the right tools for the conditions. Any suggestions?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all who responded. I like these ideas. New question: what skis to bring? My current quiver includes Brahmas, Bonafides, and brand new DPS Foundation Wailer 106's. Kind of want try out the new skis, but suspect they aren't the right tools for the conditions. Any suggestions?

Whatever floats your boat in the bumps.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I like to always have some kind of base layer no matter how warm so as to have something to wick sweat off the skin. The wicking layer actually helps you maintain a more even temp, keeping you cool if it's hot and warmer if it clouds up and gets cold. You never know what you might run into for a multi-day trip. Jacket and pants both with zip vents is a must.

JuneauTheHusky

Booting up
Skier
For me it's ski socks, base layer (upper / lower), shells (upper / lower), sunglasses, something to cover your face, thin gloves, something to cover your face. Also, if you plan on doing some hiking you may want to bring a ballcap to protect your head as a helmet can get pretty hot.

Protect your eyes, skin (lots of sunscreen), and noggin.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Spring time often means huge temperature swings from cold and icy in the am to warm and slushy in the pm. Here in AZ we can often get over 25 degree changes. So, whatever you wear, plan on being versatile and have the ability to dump gear easily.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Ski pants - no base layer, Stio Eddy shirt (maybe a vest if I plan on getting out "earlier") - https://www.stio.com/products/mens-eddy-shirt-ls <- basically a tech fabric flannel. what ever head gear, goggles, a buff for sun protection and some old leather work gloves. Unless you enjoy refreeze - no sense going out until it warms a bit.

^That said, this time tested formula went South quickly @ Vail Sunday in the microburst wet thunder snow for an hour or two.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
If you are contemplating short sleeves, a word to the wise. Never underestimate the abrasive qualities of spring slush. It feels so soft underfoot, but it'll take your hide off if you take a digger.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If it's over 60 I wear thin shorts under a shell pant with full side zips (for the sun deck), t-shirt and wind breaker or a Hawaiian shirt, baseball hat & sunglasses, lots of sunscreen. If it's really warm I used to wear winter camo's that were really just white thin cotton over pants. And leather unlined work gloves.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
The same spring shell that I wore in the late 70"s - NEVICA .
Bummer that my hair/bod didn't age as well.

Killington 4/28/19

20190425_112652[1].jpg