• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spring break trip - Ikon suggestions

Ikon Base Spring fling

• Cottonwood Canyons

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • California dreaming : - Mammoth Mountain

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • AC/DC: Aspen, A-Basin and Copper Mtn

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Canada, oh Canada! Lake Louise+ Revelstoke

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone, it’s great to have so much first hand, real world information!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you only have a week, then I would suggest skipping Revy and just ski Banff.

If you must ski Revy, from Banff to Revy you will be traveling through Rogers Pass which averages 60 closure days per year. (some of those closure days are in summer due to fatal MVAs. but most occur due to slides in spring and winter). So drive straight thru to Revy and then stop at Banff on the way back to the Calgary airport. This way you avoid the chance of being on the wrong side of a closure and then as a result, end up missing your flight.

If you just do Banff with 5 days skiing, but are there for 6-7 days, then if you like mountain scenery pick a blue sky day and take the drive from just west of the Lake Louise village, up the Columbia Icefields Parkway toward Jasper. You don't need to go all the way to Jasper but you will be traveling on what many consider to be the most scenic mountain highway in the world. The highway is on a relatively flat, wide valley with 3-5k vertical foot mountains coming right down to the valley floor, right beside the highway. This is not just a few mountains but hundreds of mountains, one after another literally for hours. There is a reason that Canada is known as "The Big Land" and after traveling the Columbia Icefields Parkway, you will know why.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does not Banf require daily driving or bus rides of varying lengths to various ski hills?

Is Sierra Cement a concern for late season Mammoth? It's been over 25 years since I skied Mammoth or Tahoe and my memory may be fuzzy... I remember fluffy snow in January and much heavier snow fall later in the season.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After thinking about @DanoT , @raytseng and others’ comments, I agree, Revelstoke is not a good addition to the Canadian Rockies. If forgot we likely will only be skiing 6 days (our previous trips tended to be 8 days of skiing), so 5 days skiing should be enough, with a day spent doing something else. Maybe convince my friends to go backcountry skiing. Plenty of terrain and some great guiding companies there.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not a concern but a blessing.
Obviously the snow that falls earlier in the winter builds a better base if it’s higher water contents, but do you also mean that late season snow that falls a higher water content skis better when it’s fresh?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ikon base pass on hand, my family is trying to decide where to go the week before Easter. (~4/4-4/11).
I ski Mammoth all the time, but there are 3 dates I avoid - Christmas Break, President's Weekend, and LA Unfied's spring break. LA Unified is the largest school district in the state and the closest good skiing is Mammoth. Your dates are the same as theirs. I was always glad that my district had a different spring break most years. That said, June Mountain is rarely busy and if you are skiing the top of the mountain (Mammoth) and like advanced bump terrain, you will avoid most of the crowds.

The best airport to fly into is in Reno and then rent a car and drive from there. It's about 2 1/2 hrs to drive to Mammoth. If there is a storm of any sort, you will need AWD or 4WD to get there. The advantage of Mammoth is that you will have great snow coverage at that time of year and the whole mountain will be open. If you want a pool, make sure that it's a condo complex and that the pool is heated. Otherwise, you will be out of luck. The first week of April is often still full winter in Mammoth. It's not always springy in April.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Pat AKA mustski , that’s some very useful info! Just as I was looking at pictures and video of Mammoth and thinking it looked really cool landscape wise (and I have never been there).

As @ADKmel ? Mentioned, it seems a shame to travel the longest, only to end up in a crowded area again.

Mostly I thought our school vacation schedule was also great, in that it has several ski vacations, and is different than everyone around us. Most schools around us only have a week long March break, but we have MLK 4 day weekend, a week at Presidents and a week somewhere in April.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Obviously the snow that falls earlier in the winter builds a better base if it’s higher water contents, but do you also mean that late season snow that falls a higher water content skis better when it’s fresh?

I am the first one to tell you I ain't the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I like all snow. so long it's white and doesn't cut up my base. Many skiers bitch about sierra cement and Cascade concrete. To me those are just another form form of snow. Another one of God's creations. I have a great time skiing that crap whether early or late season. Sierra cement is also great for crowd control. Skiers usually quit earlier in the day and head for the bar. Great uncrowded skiing in the afternoon.

For the last few seasons, we have hit Squaw sometime in April. hang around until the snow get sticky and then moved down to Mammoth for a few more weeks to finish off the season. Squaw should be good spring skiing in early April. Mammoth would still be winter.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From what I know so far this how it seems to stack up:

• Mammoth/June Mt: super scenery (I have Never been to that area, even in summer) and great snow (on average), affordable and plentiful lodging. Cons: (only spot with) no direct flights + 3 hour drive. Crowds likely.

• Banff NP: fantastic scenery. Probably very quiet. Cons: so far, not seen any affordable lodging in Lake Louise itself, (don’t want to drive 40mins each way), way less chance of fresh snow.

• Colorado: easy flights, but longer total drive. Aspen seems hard to find afforble lodging. A basin has great snow record for April, and I have never skied either there or Aspen. Scenery pretty, but not as dramatic or as nice in the condo as the other three.

• Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons: Easiest/shortest travel. More dramatic/intimate scenery than CO. Greatest chance of fresh snow. Lodging options available. B.C. very empty. Cons: Little Cottonwood fairly busy. Need to move locations.
Does that seem right to you?

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's all subjective, but I'd rate the scenery around Aspen Highlands and A-Basin higher than Utah, although I've not been to Sundance and Brian Head and I understand those are two of the prettiest ski areas in Utah.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

• Mammoth/June Mt: super scenery (I have Never been to that area, even in summer) and great snow (on average), affordable and plentiful lodging. Cons: (only spot with) no direct flights + 3 hour drive. Crowds likely.

• Banff NP: fantastic scenery. Probably very quiet. Cons: so far, not seen any affordable lodging in Lake Louise itself, (don’t want to drive 40mins each way), way less chance of fresh snow.

• Colorado: easy flights, but longer total drive. Aspen seems hard to find afforble lodging. A basin has great snow record for April, and I have never skied either there or Aspen. Scenery pretty, but not as dramatic or as nice in the condo as the other three.

• Utah: Easiest/shortest travel. More dramatic/intimate scenery than CO. Greatest chance of fresh snow. Lodging options available. B.C. very empty. Cons: Little Cottonwood fairly busy. Need to move locations.
Does that seem right to you?

Yes...

+add natural hot spring visits to your Mammoth option. My kids loved that....and also at Mammoth we never really experienced crowds there...mountain is really spread out and lots of terrain for all abilities off most lifts....its wide open for lots of family options to keep an eye on all the kids.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I’d just wait a bit and see where weather is trending.

One of the best pieces of advice that I received was from the guy who built Marmot and Marker clothing into what they are today. He told me, “If you don’t have to make a decision today, then don’t. Tomorrow you might have more complete information that will help you make a more informed decision.”

I don’t mind traveling to ski, but last year for example there was zero reason to leave SW CO.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d just wait a bit and see where weather is trending.

One of the best pieces of advice that I received was from the guy who built Marmot and Marker clothing into what they are today. He told me, “If you don’t have to make a decision today, then don’t. Tomorrow you might have more complete information that will help you make a more informed decision.”

I don’t mind traveling to ski, but last year for example there was zero reason to leave SW CO.
Yeah, unfortunately we do have to travel to ski DH in the mountains in April.

I don’t see the value in waiting longer here. What information would you have about the April snowpack in November? We are talking about an end of season trip. If it was an early season trip, then absolutely, but late season, every place has had an entire season to build up the snowpack, so week to week variations average out, and even in a low snow year, April snowpack is so deep, that even at 50% there is still a lot of snow on the ground.
E6C04F2D-F0E2-4988-9AC8-3D53E277A204.jpeg
As you can see from this graph, April snowdepth in a ‘low’ snow year is still deeper than and ‘average’ January year.

The only useful thing would be to wait until last minute and go for the spot with snow storms forecast, but with 8 people, flying and renting a nice place to stay, that is not viable option for us (but a great idea for a couple of adults).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Does that seem right to you?
While driving 40 minutes each way might seem a little long, it’s a very easy drive with gorgeous views the whole way.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While driving 40 minutes each way might seem a little long, it’s a very easy drive with gorgeous views the whole way.
Yeah, indeed, gorgeous, we were there last summer.
Still I’d rather not spend 1.5 hours a day in the car. (And if roads are bad it’s dangers and not fun too)

Sponsor