• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the alpine side we have had a number of WC tech races where the majority of the US skiers entered are not on the Team. Good enough to be starting on the top 50 { or much lower} but not good enough to be on the team?
Pardon my ignorance, but how does that work? I thought you had to be part of a team to enter a WC race.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Pardon my ignorance, but how does that work? I thought you had to be part of a team to enter a WC race.
you have to be entered by a national ski association [aka federation]. In the USA, that's United States Ski & Snowboard (formerly USSA).

The entered athletes do *not* have to be a named member of a national ski team (i.e. United States Alpine Ski Team), as those are not really regulated bodies, but have to do with how national federations allocate money (and other resources, i.e. coaching). FIS imposes minimum qualifications to be entered into a world cup race:

SL/GS: <120 FIS points in at least one event (SL/GS/SG/DH/AC)
DH/SG: < 80 FIS points in the respective event
AC: if DH, < 80 FIS points in DH; if SG, < 80 FIS points in AC, SG, or DH

Athletes with 500 World Cup points in the current season can enter tech events if they do not meet the FIS point criteria.

On the most recent FIS point list, there are over 400 USA men that have < 120 FIS points in SL alone. These athletes are all technically eligible for a WC SL/GS start.

The top 10 ranked SL men in the USA are: Chodounsky, Engel, Kelley, Ginnis, Kasper, Roberts, Ankeny, Seymour, Driller, Vietze

Kelley, Roberts, Ankeny, and Vietze are not on the US Ski Team.

World Cup rules: http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/...4/AL_WCRules2018_20.07.2017_final_Neutral.pdf

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Too bad we can't get Bode to do some coaching.

I follow Steve Porino on Instagram and saw his post with that video of Bode. Pretty cool.

I also happened to look at the comments, and one was from Sasha Rearick, who some of you may know is the head mens alpine coach of the USST. His comment; " Oh I bet she is confused now over thinking it all."

Presume/hope that was joking in good fun. Interesting that he's on IG commenting during the games.....

Bode as a coach, even a volunteer coach, would be interesting. Guy is a wealth of knowledge. He was almost impossible to coach as a teenager, and early in his WC career. BUT, he was such an unbelievable student of the same, and so analytical in his thinking, that he basically coached himself to ski like nobody ever had. The guy is genius in many ways. Pretty misunderstood.

I would love to see him involved in a lot of things related to ski racing, other than Bomber, Aztech, the horses, etc.

LOVE his commentary, and I've heard from many friends who know NOTHING about ski racing that they have found it interesting as well.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
The top 10 ranked SL men in the USA are: Chodounsky, Engel, Kelley, Ginnis, Kasper, Roberts, Ankeny, Seymour, Driller, Vietze

Kelley, Roberts, Ankeny, and Vietze are not on the US Ski Team.

@S.H. has it nailed, right on the nailhead! Thanks!

Another interesting twist is that those four guys were all in the USST system, "on the team" at one time. Kelley was dropped, then "renominated" when he made USST criteria, and declined. Elected to race as an independent rather than write the check to the USST. Michael Ankeny and Hig Roberts were dropped. And continued as independents. Michael has been dropped twice. Sandy Vietze was dismissed for no ski related stuff, then enrolled at UVM a few years ago, where he has been skiing very well. Perhaps he'll be back.

Eight of those 10 have, or still are racing in college. Plus extra points for #9, Nolan Kasper, who was able to complete his degree at Dartmouth in spring, and other quarters while rehabbing form injury.

My point was that having a SL group that has so many NOT on the USST just looks "sort of strange."

Franzz

Ἀνερρίφθω κύϐος
Skier
So ^^why not reinstate Miller as a coach, what does he know (yes you can ski the banners, you can downhill on one ski)) that others dont, I guess other coachs will fatwa him ?

Muleski

Inactive
So ^^why not reinstate Miller as a coach, what does he know (yes you can ski the banners, you can downhill on one ski)) that others dont, I guess other coachs will fatwa him ?

I think Bode would have to want to coach......

Bode loves to give his opinion, and be an "authority". Coaching is a whole other kettle of fish. To be honest, he might be a very knowledgeable yet horrific coach. First thing, you always put your athletes first. That would be a big shift for Bode.

Ski coaches, IMO, may be the most underpaid, given their skills and the demands put on them, of those in almost any sport. Particularly at the upper levels. There has always been a large "payroll tax" paid by coaches because of a love of what they are doing.

Last I knew, Bode has a pretty "large" lifestyle. We obviously know that. It's also pretty unlikely that he's living off his prior income. Doesn't line up.

So.....I think Bode coaching is a pipe dream. Not sure he's be an easy employee. Bode seems to like to do very short term project and fun kind of work. Fitting that in to the USST? That would take creativity.

My impression is that Bode's "knowledge" is unique as a commentator. Among top level coaches, not so sure. In fact they may bring more to the table, and be able to teach it more effectively.

Like so much, this time of year, fun to chat about.

Bode probably made more money from NBC than the head coaches of the USST earn in an annual contract. Or close. It's on that order of magnitude.

Just my $.02

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled

Just speculating but coaching pays a subsistence living, at least for the USST. And it's a lot of 16 hour days, mundane travel, cold early mornings. You have to love skiing and also accept that your only free skiing time will be in April or carrying a load of coats back down to the start. Hard to see your family and you probably need a Summer gig until you're boss.

Now if you do private coaching for rich folks or want to become a high end ski instructor for the like... there is decent money in that. Even cash on the downlow when Billy Billionaire wants to brag he learned how to pizza and french fry with a former US Ski Team coach. But there are a lot better ways to make money.

Hearing a video about Bode's horse training goals he actually sounded very solid. Of course I know nothing about it other than all of the earlier horse trading interactions (quarterhorses, had an equestrian sister) I've observed felt a bit sharp and fast, outside my comfort zone.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Bode would do well to team up with a good ghostwriter and a tech crew to do an illustrated book of his ski technique and philosophy of skiing. Now this would sell very well and if he put his heart into it, would be the most significant contribution to all of ski literature. Really, he is that influential.

I guess it could also be a video channel but I'd love to see a really sweet book.

(Just a suggestion)

Muleski

Inactive
Notice that Bode has played no part in the American Downhiller camps. Unlike every other former and current USST speed skier. Not sure that "giving back" is at the top of the list, unless the potentail revenue stream is looking good.

I am very friendly with two guys that he grew up with, and who have remained quite close to him until a couple of years ago. These are good guys. Lots of comments about the living large lifestyle, etc. "Bode has changed a ton."

And I hear just gossip that unless Bode has hit some incredible homers, like bitcoin at $5, there is no chance that this all adds up {or will for long.} The move to become involved with Bomber while flipping the bird to Johan Eliasch and Head, and walking away from a lot of money just mystifies folks.

It's a fun story, but agree with others. Bode is not going to be coaching.

BTW, these days, I think that USST coaches have about a month off. And yeah, very low pay. At least the coaches don't have to pay to work....like many athletes.

Franzz

Ἀνερρίφθω κύϐος
Skier
I think Bode would have to want to coach......

Bode loves to give his opinion, and be an "authority". Coaching is a whole other kettle of fish. To be honest, he might be a very knowledgeable yet horrific coach. First thing, you always put your athletes first. That would be a big shift for Bode.

Ski coaches, IMO, may be the most underpaid, given their skills and the demands put on them, of those in almost any sport. Particularly at the upper levels. There has always been a large "payroll tax" paid by coaches because of a love of what they are doing.

Last I knew, Bode has a pretty "large" lifestyle. We obviously know that. It's also pretty unlikely that he's living off his prior income. Doesn't line up.

So.....I think Bode coaching is a pipe dream. Not sure he's be an easy employee. Bode seems to like to do very short term project and fun kind of work. Fitting that in to the USST? That would take creativity.

My impression is that Bode's "knowledge" is unique as a commentator. Among top level coaches, not so sure. In fact they may bring more to the table, and be able to teach it more effectively.

Like so much, this time of year, fun to chat about.

Bode probably made more money from NBC than the head coaches of the USST earn in an annual contract. Or close. It's on that order of magnitude.

Just my $.02

Yeah, being a coach is a vocation and thankless job, maybe using him as a motivator with an hotline number))
just like he did with Gisin, without messing there heads up technically. Here north of 45" we dont have much
access to Bode comment over the air tv, CBC have a very decent coverage with Todd Brooker, Kerrin Lee-Gartner
and Brian Stemmle. Winds look very calm on top of Rainbow.
https://www.yongpyong.co.kr/eng/skiNboard/webcam.do

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
LOVE his commentary, and I've heard from many friends who know NOTHING about ski racing that they have found it interesting as well.
Riding the lift with a friends 20yo son on Saturday. The kids a 4.0 university scholar, debate team etc. Non ski racer or fan.
"That Bode Miller guy is a great announcer"!

Doubt if anyone could pay Bode enough to coach. I think he would be great when it came to abstract thinking about line & tactics but I think I'd probably go with Eileen Shiffrin when it comes to developing technique ;) .

Muleski

Inactive
So, I have heard this Bode story so many times, from the two or three people involved, that while embellished, I bet it's close:

Bode is going to one his first big FIS level SL races. Long drive from CVA, in Maine; something like 8-10 hours. It's Bode and one coach. Bode is not so chatty on the way down. Pretty much sleeps.

The coach goes to the captains meeting, they get dinner, wax his skis for the next day's weather, go to bed. They wake up in the AM, get some breakfast, head to the hill. The coach has to be up on the hill early and he and Bode agree to meet when Bode arrives at the start to inspect. Coach stays busy on the hill.

The inspection window is about to close, and no Bode. Or at least he's missed him. Hmmm. So, coach asks a bunch of coach friends, and radios a couple asking if they have seen Bode on the hill.

One guy comes back and says that he just saw Bode in the lodge. Coach skis down, goes inside the lodge to find Bode and grab a coffee. He sees Bode sitting in front of a fire, suit down to his waist, boots off, eating French fries. He walks up with his coffee and asks Bode how things are going. Bode is like bib 60, so they have time.

Bode gives him that steely eyed Bode look, and says "I'm using a new strategy today. You saw that I skipped inspection, right? I'm going blind......Clear head."

Now this is a Slalom, and it's not a low level one. It's not a simple set. Coach says "OK, we'll see how that works out. You might be onto something". The coach knows this will be a complete disaster. But says nothing as Bode will just argue. Non stop. So, they go to the start.

I can't recall the details. I know that Bode screws up twice, and hiked both times, and I think he self-destructed in a third combination. I know it was one run, and out.

So they pack up the van, get a sandwich for the road, and start the drive home. Bode says not a word until they are about eight hours into the drive. He tells the coach "Hey, I learned something today. Not going blind again. At least for a while......"

Beats to his own drummer. Bode, according to everybody who I have ever spoken with, is likely THE best athlete to every wear a USST uniform. Like freak of nature athletic. I am reasonably sure that if you could have Bode and two or three of his closest USST coaches sit down, maybe with video, and chat about a lot of races, the consensus might be that if Bode had been less stubborn and less insistent on doing it his way, there might have been a lot more wins.

But then......he would not have been Bode!

He's fun with the commentary and smart as hell. And stubborn. Coaching is seriously a very different thing. I enjoyed his video with Gisin. I would assume that she's known that, BTW. She's not new to this. Nor are the Swiss coaches. But she's polite and was very engaged. The Swiss are SO loaded with talent her age that they may be after Bode!! Haha.

Seriously, Bode seems almost visionary compared to others who we see on TV. He IS tremendous. But if you were to sit down with somebody like the head DH coach, Johnno McBride, my hunch is that you'd be equally {or more} blown away by his knowledge. This top level coaches have made this their life's work, work hard, are current and always have their eyes open. I feel that there is some misunderstanding. There are also a number of exception younger coaches who bring so much to the sport. And the best coaches were rarely the best athletes. Not unique to skiing.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
^ & didn’t Bode end up with a reputation for being one of the most prolific inspectors later in his career, especially in Super G.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Womens DH running list or did I miss @James posting it already. Start 8 CT, 9 EST, 7 MT, 6 PT ( I think)

Bib FIS Code Name Year Nation Skis
1 56128 HUETTER Cornelia 1992 AUT Head
2 516319 SUTER Corinne 1994 SUI Head
3 355050 WEIRATHER Tina 1989 LIE Head
4 197383 GAUTHIER Tiffany 1993 FRA Rossignol
5 298323 GOGGIA Sofia 1992 ITA Atomic
6 206668 WEIDLE Kira 1996 GER Rossignol
7 537544 VONN Lindsey 1984 USA Head
8 6535455 JOHNSON Breezy 1996 USA Atomic
9 516138 GUT Lara 1991 SUI Head
10 538573 ROSS Laurenne 1988 USA Voelkl
11 56177 VENIER Stephanie 1993 AUT Atomic
12 56087 SIEBENHOFER Ramona 1991 AUT Fischer
13 516284 GISIN Michelle 1993 SUI Rossignol
14 538685 MCKENNIS Alice 1989 USA Head
15 205218 REBENSBURG Viktoria 1989 GER Stoeckli
16 296729 FANCHINI Nadia 1986 ITA Dynastar
17 55970 SCHMIDHOFER Nicole 1989 AUT Fischer
18 297601 BRIGNONE Federica 1990 ITA Rossignol
19 425929 MOWINCKEL Ragnhild 1992 NOR Head
20 516248 FLURY Jasmine 1993 SUI Stoeckli
21 299466 DELAGO Nicol 1996 ITA Atomic
22 107613 GRENIER Valerie 1996 CAN Rossignol
23 197295 PIOT Jennifer 1992 FRA Rossignol
24 565320 FERK Marusa 1988 SLO Stoeckli
25 197641 GAUCHE Laura 1995 FRA Salomon
26 45331 SMALL Greta 1995 AUS Atomic
27 107583 REMME Roni 1996 CAN Head
28 375018 COLETTI Alexandra 1983 MON Head
29 197497 MIRADOLI Romane 1994 FRA Dynastar
30 506701 HOERNBLAD Lisa 1996 SWE Fischer
31 705423 VLHOVA Petra 1995 SVK Rossignol
32 155699 PAULATHOVA Katerina 1993 CZE Rossignol
33 107387 CRAWFORD Candace 1994 CAN Head
34 435334 GASIENICA-DANIEL Maryna 1994 POL Atomic
35 115115 BARAHONA Noelle 1990 CHI
36 465098 CAILL Ania Monica 1995 ROU
37 705394 KANTOROVA Barbara 1992 SVK Atomic
38 65117 VANREUSEL Kim 1998 BEL Salomon
39 715171 MUZAFERIJA Elvedina 1999 BIH
Official timekeeper

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is this gonna be on the main coverage? When I click on the direct feed for the alpine racing I don’t get Bode announcing I get someone else. Just curious on best way to watch.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On a lighter note -- and you can't make this stuff up -- a Russian CURLER was busted for doping. Of course, somebody spiked his drink........

Less than an hour to go, so GO LINDSEY!!!

4ster

Instructor
Is this gonna be on the main coverage? When I click on the direct feed for the alpine racing I don’t get Bode announcing I get someone else. Just curious on best way to watch.
Primetime coverage should have Bode.
I’ve been watching both.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

I only watch live stream. No Bode, but I get to see all the racing.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
That's what I'm saying forever already... It's simply not fair this is allowed. I know once upon a time it was important to take part on Olympics, but now, times are different and such people have no place to be around there. With enough money and proper passport (enough money buys it for you), you can brag around you were competing at Olympics, while someone, who is top 10 on World will never have chance to see Olympics except to watch it on TV, as there's 4 his compatriots who are better then him.
While FIS has some rules and limits who can compete, these limits are so low, I can get through them today, in xc in alpine, and obviously also in freestyle.

I think there needs to be a balance between showcasing a world class field, maximizing participation from a variety of of countries, and a safe contest.

Olympic Creed:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

I agree...to a point.

In some events, safety is not much of an issue--such as in Cross Country skiing or curling. However, when you get to the downhill or aerial skiing, there definitely needs to be standards.

I'm most familiar with skiing--particularly freestyle (moguls & aerials). You need to be ranked in the top 30 to maked and have a minimum of 80 FIS points. In aerial competitions, there are usually 35 competitors; in moguls, 50-60. It would be hard for a mogul or freestyle skier to qualify for the Olympics in the manner that this snowboarder did.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Womens DH running list or did I miss @James posting it already. Start 8 CT, 9 EST, 7 MT, 6 PT ( I think)

Bib FIS Code Name Year Nation Skis
1 56128 HUETTER Cornelia 1992 AUT Head
2 516319 SUTER Corinne 1994 SUI Head
3 355050 WEIRATHER Tina 1989 LIE Head
4 197383 GAUTHIER Tiffany 1993 FRA Rossignol
5 298323 GOGGIA Sofia 1992 ITA Atomic
6 206668 WEIDLE Kira 1996 GER Rossignol
7 537544 VONN Lindsey 1984 USA Head
8 6535455 JOHNSON Breezy 1996 USA Atomic
9 516138 GUT Lara 1991 SUI Head
10 538573 ROSS Laurenne 1988 USA Voelkl
11 56177 VENIER Stephanie 1993 AUT Atomic