• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Franzz

Ἀνερρίφθω κύϐος
Skier
DWF2wioVAAAQqpi.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Actually he's never really all smiles... he was really really nice guy few years ago, when he came to WC. He was polite, nice, acting like normal person. Now, and now I mean for few years already, he's complete asshole. He's the biggest most important person on world, and if it's not his way, he's gonna make it be his way. Only problem he has is Hirscher, who shows him every week, at least 4 times a week, that he's just not yet biggest and most important person on world. On the other side, his serviceman really is nicest person on world, and sometimes I actually feel sorry for him having to stand such a guy :)
Hirscher has some quirks, but all in all he's really really cool guy, complete opposite of Kristoffersen, but even he has a slip or two with media. But it's kinda normal. With so many interview these guys do in any kind of situation and emotional state, it's normal you slip from time to time. But in my mind that's no reason to send anyone home. Thing with French is, that they try to emulate Norwegians, and currently being good team with well understanding teammates is the thing, so they want to be just like them... but it just doesn't work, and this "trying to be just like attacking Vikings (they even call themself attacking croissants... yeah super original I know)" is probably reason for him to be sent home.

I should have underlined, bolded and put in in font 40......if he performs to his expectations.

If he wins, he acts all nice...to the camera. And he then praises his competitors. Of course, he's not winning so much and Hirscher is just crushing him {and his pain in the ass father.} I've seen enough of him, and know enough guys who have see far more of him than they'd like, and complete asshole sums it up. I feel for his serviceman.
I saw HK taking people over the coals a year ago at one event. Wasn't pretty.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone who's witnessed a few locker rooms disassembled followed by the same individual giving a civil and gracious interview, well, I'd rather see the former than the PR latter as long as no-one gets injured in the disassemblage which unfortunately I've also witnessed.

Is anything really interesting or worthwhile when it's coated with PR?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love the insight we get here....nice to know Hirscher is a good guy, thanks @Primoz. Most of the world class athletes I have met are, some definitely are not. I was told last night that a certain older, famous snowboarder is a real ass. He seems on TV to have matured into the role of statesman and great champion, but the insiders assure me he has not.

It would be ironic for Shiffrin's guy to be seen as one of the bad guys. A very good source told me if you could pick a brother-in-law out the whole lot of the skiers, you could do no better than Mathieu Faivre.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the insight we get here....nice to know Hirscher is a good guy, thanks @Primoz. Most of the world class athletes I have met are, some definitely are not. I was told last night that a certain older, famous snowboarder is a real ass. He seems on TV to have matured into the role of statesman and great champion, but the insiders assure me he has not.

It would be ironic for Shiffrin's guy to be seen as one of the bad guys. A very good source told me if you could pick a brother-in-law out the whole lot of the skiers, you could do no better than Mathieu Faivre.
I've seen him on multiple occasions in the surf off San Onofre. He was always a class act at those times and I know some nice guys who aren't in that situation. I remember more than one guy condescendingly offer to teach him to ski but he handled it well.

Muleski

Inactive
So....my NBC affiliate just reported this as breaking big news:

"Mikaela Shiffrin has JUST ANNOUNCED that she will not be competing in the downhill ski racing event, LEAVING AMERICAN LINDSEY VONN as the favorite!"

Wow...no kidding! Who knew? My hunch is that this week, on that course, there could have been a huge margin between them. We will never know. I suspect that MS is out for many reasons.
She should just shut this event down. Next thing...she will get sick and potentially have in linger.
Not her games. 2022 will be better. Win the SL and GS. Drop the five events.

But love the press! I bet LV is SO relieved to not have to face MS in the DH! HaHa!

Muleski

Inactive
Ahh i was joking. Not exactly "breaking news"!

Feeling more like I need to explain every single thing.

LV might crush MS by 3-4 seconds in this DH. Does not suit MS. That's aside from the fact that LV seems relaxed, confident, fit and healthy. And she's dialed it. MS. sadly seems to be none of that, right now.

But my local reporter made in very clear that NOW, because MS is out, LV is suddenly the favorite.

Just a joke. NBC sucks and it sounds like this thing might be a loser for them. Viewership was way off over the weekend.

Oh well....yes, I was posting it because it's stupid!

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
However in the words of one of the USST coaches who texted me this week: "It's awful how much we suck, and what pussies we are. I'm excited about the young........"

This is one guy who should stick around.

You want to keep a coach who labels his athletes as pussies? Really?
Excited about the young? He's not a coach. He's opportunistic. They're the worst.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
You want to keep a coach who labels his athletes as pussies? Really?
Excited about the young? He's not a coach. He's opportunistic. They're the worst.

Out of context. The reference is that most American skiers are so thrilled to make the US Ski Team that they plateau and produce mediocre results for a decade-plus or until their parents pull the plug and stop paying $35-50k per year “dues” for them to keep racing.

Not calling them all spoilt brats but considering the coaches are paid dirt, there probably is some resentment of prima Donna attitudes when they’re happy to finish 50th. For years.

It’s not a meritocracy.

A bunch of these kids need to finish their marketing degrees and sell real estate.

Last edited:

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
Out of context. The reference is that most American skiers are so thrilled to make the US Ski Team that they plateau and produce mediocre results for a decade-plus or until their parents pull the plug and stop paying $35-50k per year “dues” for them to keep racing.
What makes the next wave of athletes any different under the same leadership?

Muleski

Inactive
I'd going to go out on a limb and suggest that some might have misinterpreted my it's about the coach comment and quote.

First this coach is hardly "opportunistic". Not at all. He works about 16 hours a day and spends the majority of the year away from his own family. He agreed to rejoin the USST, and he's one who is and can make a difference. He is absolutely one who can improve things.

He's not pulling punches with me. We have athletes on the team....and in Korea...who are done. In many cases they would have retired "a while ago", but they literally can't afford to. They are fried, but they still have big ski and other contracts. I don't need to name names.

We also have skiers who either either old, over the hill or simply can't compete. On his opinion we have skiers who think it's cool to "be a US ski team member" but do not work hard enough, do not work through adversity, and are content to be pretty middle of the pack.

That drives him nuts. Hr wants to turn it around. And he sees a TON of fire and work ethic in the up and comers. Many on the team now. Just part of the housecleaning and turnover.

Think I wasn't clear enough....apologize.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No apology needed, at least not for me. Pro ski racing is a tough and cruel business. The fact that many USST athletes have experienced significant injuries that have prevented them living up to expectations may mitigate somewhat the culpability of the USST management. But only somewhat. There really is no effective strategy for building the depth that would allow the team to weather these setbacks. From selection through training/coaching to financial considerations, it’s a disaster. That’s on management. Yardsticking success by Olympic medals is nonsensical.

The team is one injury to MS from being defunct. That’s absurd.

Muleski

Inactive
@Lifer, I am NOT talking about the same leadership. Not close. I can't name names and betray confidences. I'm far from clueless on this. I'm taking about significant change. By one of the exceptional guys.

A fair amount of info comes my way. I have a lot of friends in this world. They don't expect me to post on "some Internet forum."

Even I say we need to clean house, but in reality not everybody can be swept out. That's not realistic. Many? Even most? All. Probably not.

You didn't read my post as I intended at all. My hunch is that you've never worked in system, had a kid or friends in it. Just a hunch.

The guy I am taking about is a good guy, but he has high expectations and demands of himself, his assistants and absolutely his athletes. His comment is based on a view of the whole team....both genders, all events. And it's one guy. At a low point in time.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
I don't know what to say about this..

Some travel agency ought to offer short term dual citizenships from impoverished countries for Olympic competition. I bet a lot of people would gladly drop $100k-plus for a chance to add "Olympic Athlete" to their resume. It would make a great graduation gift over the gap year, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online