• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Simple- just leave how to watch alone. Thing is, people start threads for every little thing all the time.

I think the suggestion to have this thread open posting, ie no spoiler alert feature used is a good one. The whole time thing with multiple time zones of posters from GMT+2 to -8 plus NBC is too tough to figure out.
Then, if you do that, "How to watch" can stay just that, not what happened. So people could go there to figure out what's on and not get surprised. Otherwise, inevitably you'll have more threads asking how to watch something.
There's no need to merge all three.

Thoughts on just having open conversation? Ie, no spoiler alert features used. I think if you require spoilers it's just easier not to post as it's so hard to figure out when what is broadcast.

Last edited:

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
iu.jpg

I'm just going to watch Hunger Games reruns and catch the highlights in a couple of weeks. NBC sucks.

Last edited:

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
View attachment 39457

I'm just going to watch Hunger Games reruns and catch the highlights in a couple of weeks. NBC sucks.

LOL, that was my first thought when seeing Tara and Johnny for the first time- totally Hunger Games. Wondering how they convinced Johnny to tone down the hair for this pic. I'm not thrilled with NBC coverage in general, though I do find the Tara and Johnny show entertaining and don't mind sideshows as long as the hosts know their subject.

Looking forward to Bode's commentary once they get the DH rolling.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Tara and Johnny rule!
Excellent commentary.
20 years now since Tara's gold.

Did you know Johnny grew up in Amish country?
gettyimages-469544199.jpg

PyeongChang commenting.

Reactions: BC.

Franzz

Ἀνερρίφθω κύϐος
Skier
Live cam on top of Mt.Balwangsan is interesting, especialy with the wind hold occuring and contreversy with women surf slopestyle events..

YONG PYONG RESORT

img_slope01.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LOL, that was my first thought when seeing Tara and Johnny for the first time- totally Hunger Games. Wondering how they convinced Johnny to tone down the hair for this pic. I'm not thrilled with NBC coverage in general, though I do find the Tara and Johnny show entertaining and don't mind sideshows as long as the hosts know their subject.

Looking forward to Bode's commentary once they get the DH rolling.
Must've been having a bad hair day, LOL. Flamboyant as ever last night - Somewhere Liberace is smiling.

Btw, I probably told this story here before but here it goes again. I ran into Johnny in the King of Prussia Nieman Marcus shoe department. Was the mid '00's, months before his first Olympics and I didn't know who he was but he had incredible presents as he approached with a very attractive young lady carrying more bags then there was of her! It so happened Johnny and I were both looking at the same Dolce and Gabanna shoe. I asked the very out of place looking little ferret-like guy who runs the shoe department if the shoe would be included in the next sale, at which point Johnny said he wanted to be notified when that happens. The ferrety looking salesman replied, "what's your name again"? J.W. replied JOHNNY in an extreemly expressive and dramatic tone of voice which made me thing this guy is somebody, IDK who but somebody. A month or so latter when watching PBS, I saw a spotlight of an up and coming figure skater training in Delaware, yep, it was Johnny! Wasn't long after that when I began seeing Olympic previews highlighting him. The rest is history.
And yes, watching the two last night, "Hunger Games" did come to mind!

Andrew

Photographer
Skier
Interesting question regarding branding -

I've noticed that all of the freestyle athletes (moguls, slopestyle, halfpipe) in both disciplines, skiing and snowboarding, have partially unmarked or next to perfectly clean helmets. None of the red bull athletes are wearing their sponsored athlete helmets. Is this because the Olympics don't want specific brand to brand marketing ?

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Must've been having a bad hair day, LOL. Flamboyant as ever last night - Somewhere Liberace is smiling.

Btw, I probably told this story here before but here it goes again. I ran into Johnny in the King of Prussia Nieman Marcus shoe department. Was the mid '00's, months before his first Olympics and I didn't know who he was but he had incredible presents as he approached with a very attractive young lady carrying more bags then there was of her! It so happened Johnny and I were both looking at the same Dolce and Gabanna shoe. I asked the very out of place looking little ferret-like guy who runs the shoe department if the shoe would be included in the next sale, at which point Johnny said he wanted to be notified when that happens. The ferrety looking salesman replied, "what's your name again"? J.W. replied JOHNNY in an extreemly expressive and dramatic tone of voice which made me thing this guy is somebody, IDK who but somebody. A month or so latter when watching PBS, I saw a spotlight of an up and coming figure skater training in Delaware, yep, it was Johnny! Wasn't long after that when I began seeing Olympic previews highlighting him. The rest is history.
And yes, watching the two last night, "Hunger Games" did come to mind!

Johnny in 2006 Torino, post competition gala doing Sinatra's "My Way."

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Interesting question regarding branding -

I've noticed that all of the freestyle athletes (moguls, slopestyle, halfpipe) in both disciplines, skiing and snowboarding, have partially unmarked or next to perfectly clean helmets. None of the red bull athletes are wearing their sponsored athlete helmets. Is this because the Olympics don't want specific brand to brand marketing ?

There are a lot of rules about advertising/marketing in the olympics. If you watch the alpine events, none of the suits or helmets will have any advertisements (sorry, "sponsors") except for maker marks. Same for every other event (or we'd have an entire slate of events where competitors look like european hockey teams).

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor

Andrew

Photographer
Skier
There are a lot of rules about advertising/marketing in the olympics. If you watch the alpine events, none of the suits or helmets will have any advertisements (sorry, "sponsors") except for maker marks. Same for every other event (or we'd have an entire slate of events where competitors look like european hockey teams).
You say every other event, but x games, Dew Tour, and Revolution tour as well as every single USASA event have no rules against allowing the sponsored helmets and the like. Explain?
mark-mcmorris-x-games-norway-2017-slopestyle-mike-brindley-19.jpg

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I watched Red take the slopestyle gold live (NBC sports app on FireTV actually works pretty well) but am torn about the best of three format as opposed to a combined score. I guess the idea is to encourage a go big or go home approach which fits snowboarding, but it does seem to make it more likely that an unknown will win with one great run when a veterant may have put down three solid runs but not medaled.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
You say every other event, but x games, Dew Tour, and Revolution tour as well as every single USASA event have no rules against allowing the sponsored helmets and the like. Explain? View attachment 39471

He was referring to other Olympic events (biathalon, curling, etc) basically the only logos are what's normally on the equipment.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
You say every other event, but x games, Dew Tour, and Revolution tour as well as every single USASA event have no rules against allowing the sponsored helmets and the like. Explain? View attachment 39471
Umm...,Olympics are different. IOC makes the rules. Not Mt Dew or USASA.

I watched Red take the slopestyle gold live (NBC sports app on FireTV actually works pretty well) but am torn about the best of three format as opposed to a combined score. I guess the idea is to encourage a go big or go home approach which fits snowboarding, but it does seem to make it more likely that an unknown will win with one great run when a veterant may have put down three solid runs but not medaled.
I think the best of format is good since a fall basically nixes the whole score. I think the competitors are pretty ok with that part.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We definitely need one:we have this one, @Tricia 's and @Bart Parnell 's Predictions one. We are trying to keep up in all three places. I am planning on merging all three in a couple hours, unless I hear otherwise. Makes sense?
Don't merge.
These are clearly three different topics.
This one is for current discussion and spoilers.
In fact, we were talking about how we could have/should have created a subforum for the Olympic discussions.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Can't you just make the entire thread "may contain spoilers" - so any discussion is fair game?
Yes, this has now been done.
So, everyone, post any result you want, no spoiler needed. Otherwise we're all going to go crazy trying to figure out when to post.

Upshot- do not read this thread if you don't want to know. Go to the "How to watch the Olympics" thread for questions. Let's keep live results out of there.

I edited the 1st post:
We need a dedicated thread.
EDIT:
Go ahead and post live results in this thread. do not read this thread if you don't want to know. It is simply too complicated between NBC's broadcast prime time, posters living From Australia/NZ, Japan, to the PNW, and the ability to live stream.

Note, PyeongChang is 14 hrs ahead of US Eastern Time. So, a 10:00am start in Korea is 8pm ET, 7 CT, 6MT, 5PT the previous day.

So, shackles are off! Post results!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yes, this has now been done.
So, everyone, post any result you want, no spoiler needed. Otherwise we're all going to go crazy trying to figure out when to post.

Upshot- do not read this thread if you don't want to know. Go to the "How to watch the Olympics" thread for questions. Let's keep live results out of there.

I edited the 1st post:

Well done. In this day and age, the only way to avoid spoilers is to stay away from your electronics altogether. If Mikaela or Ted win anything my android phone will show me an alert. Sure, I can probably change my settings .... probably.

OMG I'm laughing so hard. @Andy Mink and @AKMINK were here a couple days ago and said the same thing.

I know, it's so hard to even make sense of the main NBC broadcast. Why don't they just call this thing figure skating olympics and we are done with it?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January