• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spoiled for choice - which Head

Craig S

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all. First post and its a rambling long winded question....

I'm 57, 100kg +/-, 184 cm tall, reasonably fit and skiing for about 3 years now, maybe 60 days total. I'd rank myself as intermediate and progressing, comfortable on all blues and wondering how to succeed on blacks.

I'm currently skiing Head Monster 88s @ 170cm (about 2 years old, so maybe a more demanding ride than the current model) and what I'm looking for is something that perhaps allows for easier carve initiation and that will also promote some more confidence when tackling steeper slopes. The new ski is primarily for on piste maybe some time off piste chasing my Austrian partner, though that's usually a hopeless cause unless she's in the mood to be caught. The new ski will get christened at Lech/Obertauern at the end of the year and hopefully can double up for use at home in Australia.

I spoke to a Head rep at Whakapapa in NZ this year and he turned me to the V10. I demoed this and kind of liked it but there wasn't enough terrain open to put it through its paces as much as I wanted. It seemed certainly to have the potential to be what I wanted.

At that point I should have stopped looking but being a curious type I read reviews of the other Head variants and have ended up completely unsure of which way to jump. The V8 (which was the Head guy's second choice) I think is probably not suited to my weight. The Titan seems to be reasonably related to the V10 but demanding of a higher performance level and I wonder whether it would be a good ski to grow with or whether or whether it would be too intolerant of my lower starting point. The Rally is also another good choice seemingly and in even it Pugski I saw it described as a wonderful ski to increase skills and confidence (that's pretty much the brief) and maybe suited to an intermediate-advanced level.

The other big question is length. My current skis have always felt short, without actually being able to articulate the exact reason for that. 177cm seems the way forward perhaps.

Thoughts and suggestions? Out of the box ideas or other areas to look at?

Many thanks in advance

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, if you must have a Head, the V10 in 177cm.

TS
C

Craig S

Skier
Thanks for that. Not necessarily married to the idea of a Head - just currently on one and then happened to meet the Head rep.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
... or even a monster 83 in a 177. FWIW, the V10 is a really fun ski. Less demanding than a Titan, but still can be pushed, and a good ski to develop skills with.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Keep your current skis, and put that money toward lessons. (Preferably a few private ones.)

He's 6' 220# on Euro blacks - there's going to be some gear upgrade from 170cm M88s simply on a size basis.

I'm not saying he doesn't need lessons.

I'm saying he will get money's worth from a ski change. I also specifically said 'gear' in the sentence above because there's a good chance he could do with new, upgraded boots. Now, or soon - witness that he's 6' 220#, reasonably fit, and having trouble initiating turns on too-small Monsters.

Last edited:
TS
C

Craig S

Skier
@cantunamunch makes a great point about boots - i loosened the purse strings for last Oz season and got some professionally fitted boots. Made a really noticeable difference in control.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"The new ski is primarily for on piste maybe some time off piste"
Try renting the Stöckli Laser AX in Austria. (Plan on bringing them back with you.)
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-stöckli.8747/

Set the rental up in advance to be sure they have the AX 175 cm ready for your arrival.
https://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/stores/find-a-store

Your 170cm Monster 88 is two sizes down from the longest they make. The 177 is next to longest, 184 the longest (and stiffest). So, for new skis for your height, weight, and ability look at their next-to-longest regardless of the actual centimeter length. This would be the Laser AX 175. Generally speaking longer skis are stiffer and shorter skis...within the same product line...are softer. Stiffer skis deliver performance for stronger, heavier, faster skiers. And don't perform well for slower or lighter skiers. The Head Titan 170 would be suitable for the same skier as the Monster 88 177...both next to longest. I like the Head Rally for the conditions you describe, again the 170. I"m 6', 180#, ski North American black runs on my Laser AX 175, my Kore 99 180, and my Elan SLX 165...all have just the right flex for me. You are 40 pounds heavier than I am, so when you've increased your ability where black runs are fun the longest & stiffest in a line might be just right for you.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Head Titan 170 would be suitable for the same skier as the Monster 88 177...both next to longest. I like the Head Rally for the conditions you describe, again the 170. I"m 6', 180#, ski North American black runs on my Laser AX 175, my Kore 99 180, and my Elan SLX 165...all have just the right flex for me. You are 40 pounds heavier than I am, so when you've increased your ability where black runs are fun the longest & stiffest in a line might be just right for you.

The Head Titan is a lot of ski and I don't believe that it fits the needs that you describe.

Head Magnum! beautiful ski. The Rally is worth a look! Both will reward good skiing.

Sponsor