• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was looking for vids of the mammoth downhill course since masters nationals is there next year and 2:22 in the vid below made me think I should really get a back protector...

http://discovermammoth.com/videos/masters_ski_racing_mammoth_mountain_video.html

The first racer should not have been permitted to leave the start with that face guard. Totally illegal.

I think the benefit of a spine protector without a neck guard of any sort totally outweigh the risk of no back protector at all. I've never hit b-net (knock on wood), but I've hit gates after falling and poles hurt; both gates and b-net poles.

Edited: I hope to make it to Nationals this year. Woo hoo!

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always wear mine....feel naked without it, similar to a helmet.

Had some good crashes in the park, hucking cliffs, a high speed crash when zipper lining a steep, icy mogul run, a lower speed impact with a tree, and the worst was sliding through a panel (the bottom of the gate certainly hurts when sliding through it). While my incidences are few and far between, in every case my backpad certainly helped.

I use the POC VPD 2.0 and it’s great. Super thin, comfortable and just works. Honestly can’t really feel it when skiing. Also has the benefit of keeping my back warm.

My daughter (racer) isn’t allowed to be in the hill without one, I figure I can set a good example as well.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Always wear mine....feel naked without it, similar to a helmet..

My son's an aggressive young skier, former racer and wears his religiously. Considering buying one myself. I'm 5'6" 130 - what size should I get?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My son's an aggressive young skier, former racer and wears his religiously. Considering buying one myself. I'm 5'6" 130 - what size should I get?

it totally depends on the brand and the model! Really need to try it first for fit

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking for vids of the mammoth downhill course since masters nationals is there next year and 2:22 in the vid below made me think I should really get a back protector...

http://discovermammoth.com/videos/masters_ski_racing_mammoth_mountain_video.html

Not mandatory in Masters but yes, you should always wear a back protector for SG or DH.

The Mammoth DH course is fairly benign, rewards good gliding until you get to the right footer onto fascination, then it becomes a bit more challenging.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Looking at POC Spine VPD 2.0. . .
you might try the "slim" size Medium. I have the POC spine VPD 2.0 in Large (regular) and wish I had bought the slim. I am 5'11 200 pounds and while not fat, I'm not super skinny either- I am about a 34 pant. The regular POC vest is fairly roomy, and I'd prefer it to be more form fitting. luckily the elastic belt takes up a lot of the excess.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
you might try the "slim" size Medium. I have the POC spine VPD 2.0 in Large (regular) and wish I had bought the slim. I am 5'11 200 pounds and while not fat, I'm not super skinny either- I am about a 34 pant. The regular POC vest is fairly roomy, and I'd prefer it to be more form fitting. luckily the elastic belt takes up a lot of the excess.

Tx - will see if I can find one to try on before I buy.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Not mandatory in Masters but yes, you should always wear a back protector for SG or DH.

The Mammoth DH course is fairly benign, rewards good gliding until you get to the right footer onto fascination, then it becomes a bit more challenging.

Nice. Fairly benign is ideal.

I ended up getting a POC Spine VPD Comp protector on sale off amazon. Went with medium and it fits perfectly. Really low profile, even more so than i was expecting, and is kind of a hybrid between the bare strap and vest type. should fit very well under a suit without sizing up or feeling awkward which is what I was worried about and I guess this is designed for.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wear a small/regular fit in the 1.0? The one with the white vest but full VPD not with the plastic on it) I found the larger backpad came down a bit farther than I liked and also like the tighter vest fit with the small.

I’m 5’6 and 165lbs for reference. Do try them and see what fit you prefer.