• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spinal Motion Restriction SMR

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
NSP has changed their stance on spinal assessments and back boarding. Basically getting more in-line with medical teams.

Wondering how many of your past back boarding incidents would of not been necessarily under the new guidelines. Personally, probably none, but for the whole patrol, probably a few.

SpokaneSteve

Booting up
Skier
I can't speak to historic precedent but as a candidate this year I can tell you it has been a bit frustrating to learn spinal immobilization for OEC and then learn spinal precautions in the Cycle B book and THEN have to learn SMR at the actual referesher. I wish NSP would think ahead a little more.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Steve.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't speak to historic precedent but as a candidate this year I can tell you it has been a bit frustrating to learn spinal immobilization for OEC and then learn spinal precautions in the Cycle B book and THEN have to learn SMR at the actual referesher. I wish NSP would think ahead a little more.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Steve.
Give it a few more years. You will be saying the same thing about something else. :)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Everything changes as new research is done and everyone learns new stuff. The medical field and us as first responders have to adapt and change with all the improved procedures to keep current and continue to offer the best service for our level of training. Think of it this way, you don't ski the same as you did 10 years ago, why should we treat spinal injuries the same as we did 10 years ago? I learned CPR at a rate of 15:2 when I first certified.. it has changed 3 times since then and we are now at 30:2 and the 2 breaths is optional if you don't have a mask.

The OEC book gets rewritten periodically to adapt to changes and we are coming up to another revision due out in a couple years.. maybe 2020 if they get through it in decent time. I don't quite recall what the NSP IT guy told us at our region meeting last year when we got trained on the new website. Anyways.. expect to buy another OEC book in the near future with new and different info in it!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
There are now right or wrong procedures

just have a reason for what you do.

Lately, the unreliable patient has got a lot of attention on our bump.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January