• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Speedmachine 130s fit great, way too soft

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So for the first time in a long time, I have boots that are reasonably comfortable. But they are too soft (at least in the mid 20s F range). This is unusual for me, as I usually have had to buckle the upper cuff so tight due to small ankles/calves that if anything the boots were too stiff. Last pair was Technica Mach 1 MVs, the generation before the t drive. Those flexed about right, unless it was real cold then I'd take out a bolt. These Speedmachines have zipfit garas in them, forefoot punched out on both sides, and the zeppa ground down a bit to accommodate my high instep and fairly wide forefoot (at least compared to my ankles). I did not need to move the upper cuff buckle catches like I have done previously, nor do I have to buckle them all the way. They are very soft for my 48 yr old, out of shape, 6'3" 240lb ex racer body.

I have ordered a pair of Pulse pro flex to try and stiffen them up, but I'm wondering two things... Do people still add rivets behind the cuff hinges like we did back in the late 80s/early 90s to stiffen things up? Second, I was thinking about getting some of the Fischer Rc4 pro Mv boa zipfits, but was not able to try a pair on this fall (heard they were later being delivered from Fischer). The fit descriptions I've read seem good for my issues. Still thinking of trying to find a pair, or just order some in the fall and if I don't like them resell I suppose. Anyone know how the flex compares to the Speedmachine? I'm assuming stiffer from what I've head... I see two bolts at the back of the Fischers, I assume you can remove one to soften them?

Thanks!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This 150 lb skier who likes to ski faster than the average skier recently (two years ago?) bought a pair of Technica Mach 1 MV 120s and replaced the stock liners with custom foamed liners, while explaining to boot fitter that the stock ones were too mushy and I wanted rock hard liners like my old Koflachs had. Fitter did a good job. Bonus, the boots stiffened up with the custom foamed race liners.
Seems to me, as you are 240 lb 6'3 exracer, you should have gone for 150s, but I would suggest asking your fitter if stiffer liners would help first. The boots won't know you're out of shape if you ski fast (you might get tired though).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have ordered a pair of Pulse pro flex to try and stiffen them up, but I'm wondering two things... Do people still add rivets behind the cuff hinges like we did back in the late 80s/early 90s to stiffen things up? Second, I was thinking about getting some of the Fischer Rc4 pro Mv boa zipfits, but was not able to try a pair on this fall (heard they were later being delivered from Fischer). The fit descriptions I've read seem good for my issues. Still thinking of trying to find a pair, or just order some in the fall and if I don't like them resell I suppose. Anyone know how the flex compares to the Speedmachine? I'm assuming stiffer from what I've head... I see two bolts at the back of the Fischers, I assume you can remove one to soften them?
I had the SpeedMachine 130 and I now how the Fischers RC4 Boa and the Fischer IS stiffer. Let us know how the Pulse Pro works.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
After trying on the Fischer RC4 BOAs I found them to be a very generous fit. I really don't see how an LV foot works in those boots. Now if they came out with an LV version.....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the Speedmachine 3 130s and found them maybe a bit soft initially, but a World Cup Booster Strap (the stiffest) gave them the feel I was looking for.

A little stiffer might still be better but the fit and warmth of this boot is so good for me, and cold removal is acceptable.

But you've got 40 pounds and an inch on me, so you may be chasing a unicorn with this boot.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Data point: I'm 5'7", 170lbs, NOT an ex-racer, and I have a pair of Nordica Speedmachine130's...that suit me perfectly. They just may be too soft to suit someone your size, weight, and desires.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, they feel similar stiffness to my previous Hawx Ultra 130s, but with a bit smoother "suspension" off piste and bumps.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This 150 lb skier who likes to ski faster than the average skier recently (two years ago?) bought a pair of Technica Mach 1 MV 120s and replaced the stock liners with custom foamed liners, while explaining to boot fitter that the stock ones were too mushy and I wanted rock hard liners like my old Koflachs had. Fitter did a good job. Bonus, the boots stiffened up with the custom foamed race liners.
Seems to me, as you are 240 lb 6'3 exracer, you should have gone for 150s, but I would suggest asking your fitter if stiffer liners would help first. The boots won't know you're out of shape if you ski fast (you might get tired though).
Well, as I said, previous 130s have been stiff enough for me. Either these shells or the zip fits (or the combination) have resulted in me not needing to crank down the upper buckles nearly as much, reducing the overlap and therefore softening the boot. Hard to get a MV 150 flex boot too…

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the SpeedMachine 130 and I now how the Fischers RC4 Boa and the Fischer IS stiffer. Let us know how the Pulse Pro works.
Will do Phil. Just to be clear, you are referencing the pro model (140 flex with zip fit), not the 130, right?

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the Speedmachine 130 size 27, 225lb, ex-racer. They fit GREAT (Garrick at Steiner in Valatia blew and punched them out to the limit of what's possible for my size 12EEEE feet. First truly snug boots I've ever owned which don't hurt anywhere) They aren't too soft as such, but do feel kinda VAGUE and lack quickness compared with my old boots (20-year old plugs). One thing which helps the stiffness is to feed the OEM cuff-strap INSIDE the shell so it's cinching down on the inner, and then I've added a big legit booster strap to the outside which I don't really have to tighten much at all to achieve what feels like the proper flex.

I surmise the lack of quickness may be a canting issue but am not on snow enough to try out many settings of the boot-shafts and definitely not enough to try under-binding cants.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Will do Phil. Just to be clear, you are referencing the pro model (140 flex with zip fit), not the 130, right?
that said pro model actually has 130 written on the shell, the liner will stiffen it marginally, just waiting for my pair to arrive

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
that said pro model actually has 130 written on the shell, the liner will stiffen it marginally, just waiting for my pair to arrive
I hesitate to disagree with a boot fitter, but I’ve had these boots in hand. The Pro model with the Zipfit and a black cuff doesn’t have any flex designation on the shell - it just says Pro MV. Fischer’s website lists it as a 140.

It looks like there is another non-pro model with a yellow cuff that is listed as a 130. I haven’t seen this model in person.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I hesitate to disagree with a boot fitter, but I’ve had these boots in hand. The Pro model with the Zipfit and a black cuff doesn’t have any flex designation on the shell - it just says Pro MV. Fischer’s website lists it as a 140.

It looks like there is another non-pro model with a yellow cuff that is listed as a 130. I haven’t seen this model in person.
there are 2 RC4 MV pro model boots (the pro model is the ones that come with the zipfit)

one is the yellow with back cuff the other is mango orange with black cuff with DYN pin inserts (in the toe only) (these are new for 24/25) all the boots have their flex written on them, right boot on the cuff just above/behind the medial ankle pivot, listed is the last the flex the material and the time in the vac oven if doing a full vac fit

it will be interesting to see what fischer list this new boot as on their website as it definitely has 130 written on the shell but remember zipfit liners will add a few flex points to any boot

so both answers are correct, the yellow/black one is 140 the mango/black one is 130 (although they both felt very similar to flex) they are both RC4 Pro MV

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fit update: Recently, from about Days 100-110, the fit of these Nordicas started getting sloppy. I've done the usual (Bontex shims and some ankle shimming) and all is good again, but it may be time for some Intuition liners next season.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let us know how the Pulse Pro works.

I installed the Pulse pro flex and skied a couple of days with them. Easy to install, I skied them on days with the temps in the low 40f range. I did not do a direct A/B comparison (with/without) but I do feel that I was able to drive the tips better than I would have been without them at that temp. Not sure it's what I'm looking for completely but I'd say its a positive for me in warm conditions. Out of curiosity, what are the stiffest MV boots available? I may try the Fischer 140's or see if the new Lange RS130 wide is a good fit for me. That is, if there is a new RS130 wide, I guess I haven't checked.

BeiJiHu

Booting up
Skier
If you like a really stiff cuff i don't think Fischer boots generally are for you.

The RC4 Pro MV ZF 140 has an insane amount of progressive flex (for my taste): It almost feels like one of those boots with parking-lot-walkmode engaged (also sqeaks and farts ridiculously when walking). Of course it eventually gets stiff at the end of the flexrange, but i don't know who'd need that much leverage. At least with my skiing position/style i see no benefit.

And even their 23/24 worldcup plug boot (RC4 Podium RD WC Std) has way more cuff flex than you'd expect from the numbers: I ski it in the stiffest flex (3:1 aka 170) and it's quite easy to get the knees over the toes. I'd say i can get forward about the same degrees as in my Salomon S/Pro Supra BOA 130 with Zipfit WCSW liner. (And i'm 30pounds lighter than you btw)

Sponsor

Staff online