• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Speed Dating some New 2020 Skis on Vermont Hardpack....

TS
Eric Edelstein

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Thanks for the great reviews!
Very interested in trying out the Stance 96 as I hear it’s very quiet and solid like a slightly less traditional “Mantra”.
Did you try the 176cm version or the 182cm on the 96? Wished they made a mid 180’s length but I bet the 188cm should charge pretty well

I played with the 176. Totally quiet, solid...no surfy feel. This is a damp and reliable tracking machine. I suspect it would excel in tracking lines through crud without any deflection, yet maintain enough float to keep it from feeling balky.
I only skied it on tightly packed snow conditions. I would recommend people demo this ski if they want a solidly secure, quiet feel underfoot. I felt it was a totally different direction for Salomon....in no way similar to the QST line...and not as carve-only as the MAX / Force series.

DSC06772.JPG

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I played with the 176. Totally quiet, solid...no surfy feel. This is a damp and reliable tracking machine. I suspect it would excel in tracking lines through crud without any deflection, yet maintain enough float to keep it from feeling balky.
I only skied it on tightly packed snow conditions. I would recommend people demo this ski if they want a solidly secure, quiet feel underfoot. I felt it was a totally different direction for Salomon....in no way similar to the QST line...and not as carve-only as the MAX / Force series.

View attachment 92283

You’re making me want to try it out even more now if even the 176cm is stable! The 182cm and 188cm should really rip at speed then. Should be a good daily driver-grips in the morning and charges crud in the afternoon.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier

View attachment 92283
Thanks for the feedback. The Salomon Stance 90, 96 and 102 are all on my radar.

Relegate

Booting up
Skier
I was considering a Kendo88 or the Evolv90, but the Evolv84 sounds pretty intriguing, however I’m torn between that and the v82. My dailies have been Line Supernatural 100’s I got A few years ago, but having relocated to PA from NorCal I’m looking for a ski that’s better on ice. Being a bigger (lbs) guy I do like having that stability when the snow softens (like afternoon vs fresh snow). Is the v82 basically a “versatile carver”? I love skiing fast through everything, but avoid bump runs. (Knee surgeries) I dig Multiple turn shapes, but if it snows, I’m grabbing my other skis. What would you recommend?

TS
Eric Edelstein

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I've skied in PA...the V82 would be a great choice out of your candidate list....for 90% of Eastern conditions, I would prefer it over the Evolv90 unless there is fresh showfall. I have not skied the latest Kendo yet.... Look around for Internet deals on Liberty V82....I've seen them sub-$300 for last year's model....

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January