• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Space heater for garage

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve used one of these for years inside my garage. To be safe I do run a CO detector to be safe.

pros:
  • infrared type heater so it is a little more directional can be a good thing.
  • Very little noise
cons:
  • no temperature control, its either on or its off
  • Can shorten your eyebrows when lighting (don’t ask how I know)
  • propane heaters create moisture so ensure you have covers (blankets) for metal object to prevent condensation and rust.

For the record I upgraded to a 30-80k btu adjustable unit for better control and faster heating just recently after using the above mentioned for about 13years. Getting older and heat is good when needed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve used one of these for years inside my garage. To be safe I do run a CO detector to be safe.

pros:
  • infrared type heater so it is a little more directional can be a good thing.
  • Very little noise
cons:
  • no temperature control, its either on or its off
  • Can shorten your eyebrows when lighting (don’t ask how I know)
  • propane heaters create moisture so ensure you have covers (blankets) for metal object to prevent condensation and rust.

For the record I upgraded to a 30-80k btu adjustable unit for better control and faster heating just recently after using the above mentioned for about 13years. Getting older and heat is good when needed.
All of those cons, plus the CO detector, sound like good reasons to go electric if you can, rather than propane.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think we are going with electric ceiling mounts. Now which one and should be do one biggier one, or two smaller ones considering that some of the heat will get lost in the bays where the cars are.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Umm...I think you are not supposed to be on this thread, @Philpug :huh:

For what it is worth, I think two of those infrared heaters that @Tricia referenced would heat you to your heart's desire. Place one on the diagonal between the two lights to heat the corner work bench and one linearly hanging off your shelf above what appears to be your tuning bench and you will be toasty.
That's what I was thinking.
:thumb:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I think we are going with electric ceiling mounts. Now which one and should be do one biggier one, or two smaller ones considering that some of the heat will get lost in the bays where the cars are.
You may have checked this already, but, make certain the 2 electric devices are not on the same circuit. 1500 watt devices, at full power, consume almost all of the capacity of one single 15 amp circuit.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia noted one on Amazon had a 50% 1 star, figure you know as it was an example. One can pull from favorites for highest rating and ideally if one has a adj swing arm to re-aim to an area:

other side note, of late there were some articles on Amazon products via 3rd party that may have phony certifications, so as usual I aim for known OEM names or ones that can be more easily verified from an established source ... or shop locally.

Or better, find an OEM sponsor ... and blatantly "Philplug" their product (if ya like it)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
first one little lower wattage but still will draw 10A, but has a fan so if a more dedicated work area is to be had .. this may work well. bit older look. Then you have the box type with blower .. these would need a higher amp breaker and dedicated line ... think Hot tub or Stove type line, most using 240V which might get you down to 20A breaker for 4KW, and up from there

see pics, could mount to wall and aim towards workspace (20A breaker)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All of those cons, plus the CO detector, sound like good reasons to go electric if you can, rather than propane.
You can also go vented heater type, no moisture or CO concerns compared to space heater types.

Biggest reason for selection of electric or propane is energy cost. Pick the one thats lower so in reality it becomes a regional choice.

In my case I only heat when needed so propane is faster and in those terms more economical, electric heat would coat way to much in comparison.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in the process of making our garage into usable workshop space, and have one of these on order: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578579_200578579
They need a dedicated 30 amp 240v circuit, but they are the option with the least amount fuss and bother. No worries with combustion by-products. I considered a wall mount non-vent propane heater, but nixed it for that reason (plus flammable cleaner fumes...)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the process of making our garage into usable workshop space, and have one of these on order: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578579_200578579
They need a dedicated 30 amp 240v circuit, but ...

Good price given they're on sale .. $90 is pretty low and decent reviews too

very similar to this one at HD but ... given price I may pick one up for when I do paints and varnishes

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably the same one in different packaging. Pricing is similar, when you include the shipping cost.

Mine arrived today...much smaller than I expected! Now I have to get the romex and a breaker.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did I miss something here ? No gas line on premises or remotely close to the garage location your wanting heat ?
IMHO - if there is a gas line anywhere close the choice would be gas hands down over electric. Yes, your initial cost to install will be higher for the unit but the cost per BTU once up and running and the warmth factor will leave you happier in the long run.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had the DR Infrared DR-968 for about a year and have been happy with it. Other than the first month I had it and left it on regularly (power bill that increased by $150) I haven’t noticed much on the bill.
I now turn it on when I go out to the garage and have it by my feet under the bench and stay plenty warm.

Sponsor

Staff online